Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Off to chamonix tomorrow – just booked it and I think I need tyres please help!
  • verbboy
    Free Member

We decided to book a trip to chamonix at very short notice, and I recon I can squeeze my bike in too!

A few questions:

Are the trails easy to get too, we are staying in chamonix.

Thinking of taking my norco sight2 as opposed to a HT, don’t plan any mega DH but didn’t know if full Suss a bit more fun.

Biggest issue is tyres, I have a nevegal on the front but usually run either a slant 6 or SB8 on the back.

Do I need better tyres? I really don’t have long to get anything so any quick suggestions would be really appreciated.

I plan to do some enduros next year so tyres that might be suitable for that too makes sense as opposed purely for the alps.

Many thanks in advance

MT

dantsw13

Get to the On-one website, bag yourself a chunky monkey for the front and Smorgasbord rear, £30 all in, and just what you need!

verbboy
    Free Member

I go tomorrow so I’ll be going to an LBS

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

If you get on ok with those at home then you’ll be fine. Most of the stuff around Chamonix is more XC than DH. Loads of good trails. Just get a bell and be nice to walkers 🙂

Edit: and if you have the option take the FS, there are some good but rocky trails off the top of the Brevent.

R979
    Free Member

Have a word with the chaps in Zero G, they’ll point you in the right direction. Failing that there is some good riding from Le Tour and you can catch the bus (with your bike) up there from Cham.

Tires? Well, it’s the Alps, you’ll be going fast and you might hit some rocks. Dual ply tires in your preferred flavour always win for me but it depends how much you like fixing punctures?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Just back from 3 weeks in Chamonix and 2 days riding the Megavalanche course. Maxxis HR2s single ply, front and back, no flats.

There are a mix of trails, from xc (Balcons), man made DH (Les Houches and Le Tour) and technical footpath type riding (get an IGN map and be polite to walkers).

Brevant trails are closed and/or off limit in August.

As above, get the guide book from Zero G, this year’s edition is much better (ie the maps are usable!). Or you could try getting in touch with Singletrack Safaris who are out that way and may be able to offer some guiding.

justatheory
    Free Member

Isn’t there a ban on bikes on a lot of the trails in Chamonix in July/August?

Doubt the walkers will be as militant in France though

mrblobby
    Free Member

Found that as long as you slowed down, were very friendly with lots of bonjours, and the occasional stop and chat then walkers were generally ok about it.

Edit: Yes, there is a ban… but ^^^ was the unofficial advice from the bike shop in Chamonix 🙂

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Watch out for the Swiss hikers – they are more militant. To the point of blocking the path in front of me up at Le Tour last week.

But there’s plenty of riding even if you avoid the “banned” paths, but some is tricky to find.

verbboy
    Free Member

I had read some good things on HR2s maybe I’ll try to get them

Well as its a family holiday I will be out early mornings or in the evenings so hopefully less walkers, I tend to respect walkers over here anyway.

Next trip will definitely be more bikey!!

Northwind

The tyres you have will do the job, but could definitely be better (I rode fort william on a slant 6 at the back, it was… lacking.)

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

If you’re out early, I thoroughly recommend the road climb to the Merlet “safari” park and footpath decent back down to Galliands in Chamonix. Cheeky, but ride it alone, say “merci” and you’ll be ok.

Oh, and ignore the “Very Dangerous Path” sign at the start….

kimbers

dantsw13 – Member
    Get to the On-one website, bag yourself a chunky monkey for the front and Smorgasbord rear, £30 all in, and just what you need!

+1

iolo
    Free Member

As said above go to your LBS. See what they have. You’ll be gutted if your tyres don’t turn up.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Chamonix has several bike shops, not cheap, but you wont be tyreless.

Steve77
    Free Member

If you’re out early, I thoroughly recommend the road climb to the Merlet “safari” park and footpath decent de retour down to Galliands in Chamonix. Cheeky, but ride it alone, say “merci” and you’ll be ok.

Oh, and ignore the “Very Dangerous Path” sign at the start….

Is it very exposed or something? I might do this next week and am happy with technical but tend to steer clear of the cliff edge stuff

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Big High Roller 2s will see you right – make sure your brakes are working well too.

I guided there (albeit 10 years ago) and there’s a lot of steep, very technical riding, aswell as the Balcons etc etc.

Very little fast open stuff, unless you’re right up on the tops.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Have a word with the chaps in Zero G, they’ll point you in the right direction

if you’re referring to Bristol then they’re out of business!

freeridenick
    Free Member

I have ridden in Chamonix a lot.

minions DHF 2.5 super tackys both ends for me – if its damp you will need all the grip you can find – its on the techier end of riding! 😯

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Steve – Merlet is a little exposed in sections, mainly at the start. Otherwise typical natural Chamonix riding – steep in places, plenty of roots and switchbacks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Off to chamonix tomorrow – just booked it and I think I need tyres please help!’ is closed to new replies.