Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Off the peg lightweight 29er XC wheel set
  • letmetalktomark

So I’ve built up a bike that differs (sort of) from my usual builds in that I wanted it for more XC work with perhaps the odd race.

Weighed it and was surprised, in a bad way, that it weighed what it did.

Wheels and boat anchor 11 speed cassette look to be significant contributing culprits 😆

So wheels.

According to Stans I am too heavy for Crests which seems to be the default non carbon option.

Budget is TBC but will unlikely allow me to stretch to carbon. I’m also ruling out, at this stage, carbon rims from China.

I’m also happy to (finally) concede that Hope hubs might not be the lightest option.

Current running and Arch EX rear on a Pro 2 Evo and an Easton Havoc(?) front wheel. Both 29ers 😉 So fair to say not the lightest.

So whats good out there?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve been looking to upgrade too and have been using Action Sports in Germany to get ideas as they have a nice tool to play around with:
    https://www.actionsports.de/en/wheels/custom-wheels/mtb-disc-29-/

They’re not off the peg but do seem to offer better value for money, plus I need a lefty front hub which is not always an option on some sets.

letmetalktomark

Thanks for the heads up SC – There are a good few options there.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

DT XR331 rims on 240S hubs?
    I’ve been racing on them for a couple of seasons now and they’ve been pretty bombproof. Rims are 380 grams but I’m over 90kg and I’ve not killed one yet.

letmetalktomark

Thats reassuring Adam 🙂

I’m only just shy of 100kg but looking to get down to 90.

I’ve never pranged a wheel in 30 years of riding but i don’t want to start now!

Edit – The seem to have a 90kg limit 🙁

GregMay
    Free Member

Very much ignore the Mavic SL. Light yes, durable no. First set of wheels I’ve destroyed in years at only 78kg.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

The seem to have a 90kg limit

Where are you seeing that? I can’t find any mention of it on DT Swiss’s website?

But like I said – over 90kg, going into their third season, still straight and round!

letmetalktomark

Where are you seeing that?

Its mentioned on the wheel build specs here>>

https://www.actionsports.de/en/fun-works-n-light-one-48t-dt-swiss-xr-331-comp-race-laufradsatz-29er-1520g-4265

I guessed it was unlikely that it would be down to the hubs 😐

Kryton57

American classic MTB Race…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Actually that’s a good call. I had the American Classic Race in 26″ a few years ago. Trouble free and off-the-peg.

GregMay
    Free Member

Agree – the AC wheels are very good!

adsh
    Free Member

I ordered from actionsports – from order to delivery – 5days. Sad not to use JRA but they no longer do DT.

welshfarmer

Not sure if the Crossmax SLRs are different to the Sls but I can only recommend them given the amount of abuse mine have seen in 2.5 years of hard racing and proper big mountain rides. Absolutely bombproof, stiff and light. And I am 90+ kgs

BearBack
    Free Member

331 is a little narrow for much more than older train of thought race tyres. The newer generation 361 adds 2.5mm inner width so gets you up to a more stable 2.4 tyre rather than 2.2. I’d choose a 2.4 at a lower pressure over 2.2 higer pressure as a race tyre on anything that isn’t a butter smooth course.
    Hop upto the 421 for 25mm inner at marginal weight penalty(50g per) Then you’re into a truly bomber wheel.
    For off the shelf, lots of chat on here about German sites selling thr previous generation xm1501s pretty reasonably. 240 hub internals and 22.5mm inner rim, 36t star ratchet and tubeless ready with their tape and a really solid factory wheelset in the 1700g region

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Very interesting thread on XC rim width:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-training/rim-width-xc-racing-1026042.html

I’m erring to the mark 3 Crests at 23mm width for XC wheels

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have a set of dt swiss x1700. They come in at 1680 gms and can be had for around 400 quid. The m1700 are a bit burlier and only 50 gms heavier.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Off the peg lightweight 29er XC wheel set’ is closed to new replies.