Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Off-the-peg, 853 hardtail. insurance replacement example?
  • IHN

Slightly odd question, but hoping the STW hive mind can help.

It’s household insurance renewal time, and I’m trying to get a rough valuation of my bike so I can ensure it’s covered.

Thing is, the spec is somewhat obscure and, cough, ‘standards’ have moved on, so I’m trying to find a current model that’s a rough equivalent of what I have to get an idea of the replacement value I’m looking at.

The spec is:

Genesis Altitude 853 frame
    RS Revs (w. remote lockout/compression, floodgate, blah blah)
    SRAM X0 9spd mechs and shifters
    Middleburn cranks
    XT wheels (26″)
    (Gravity) Dropper post

What could I buy off the peg that would be a reasonable/sensible/similar replacement?

chiefgrooveguru

Cotic Soul 275 gold build plus dropper?

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul#bike

Somewhere around £2500.

jeffl

Cotic Soul or Solaris with silver build kit for the full bike. So about £2000.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered how the argument would go if some of my bikes were nicked. On the one hand my road bike is ‘worth’ maybe about £500-£600, it cost in the order of £1000, but to do a ‘new for old’ would mean picking out somethign like a CAAD12 frame and DA groupset which is going to be well over the £2k maximum value!

As for the original question, Stanton? Or just the current equivalent Genesis even if it’s not 853? As you say ‘standards’ have moved on, and it might be difficult to argue that all those standards don’t constitute a significant enough upgrade to mitigate the lack of an 853 tube?

IHN

Cheers for the ideas. Soul looks the nearest match, although it’s interesting that the suggestions are the Gold/Silver build, and having looked I think the Platinum is nearer

Or just the current equivalent Genesis even if it’s not 853?

That’s the thing, they don’t really do one. It’s either rigid fat-bikery, or the Core which has an ali frame and a lower spec overall.

The other way to go about it, I’m sure, is to say ‘I have a decent 853 frame, top end SRAM groupset (because it was), top end RS forks (because they were) and some expensive-ish finishing bits, so how much would all that be separately, new’. I’m sure the answer would ‘quite a lot’

ElShalimo

Pipedream Sirius ??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Off-the-peg, 853 hardtail. insurance replacement example?’ is closed to new replies.