Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Off the bike for a while – cheap as chips turbo option or something else?
  • mokl
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been done before… Due to injury I’m going to be off the bike for some weeks and think that in a week or so I may be okay to spin the legs a bit. I don’t have a turbo and have not considered one before but if there were some very basic/cheap option to allow me to spin my legs to stop them going to jelly completely I would be very interested. I have a road bike I could hook up to it, so would very much welcome any suggestions or alternatives I may not have thought of. I don’t even know where to begin my search for such things so any links also gratefully received! Thanks.

mokl
    Free Member

Just having a look at ebay options – there seem to be some for about £60! I notice there seems to be different systems for mounting the rear wheel. Is there anything I should look out for?

mrblobby
    Free Member

The wind ones are quite loud. I’d go for mag or fluid. Planet X do this one for 100 quid. Halfords are doing the Elite Mag one for 120 quid. Quite often find good trainers cheap on the classifieds too.

If you’re going to be doing anything other than gentle spinning you may want to budget for some sort of mat (avoiding pools of sweat on the carpet) and a big fan.

Also worth considering pros and cons of rollers vs turbos.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mokl
    Free Member

Thanks mrblobby, I’ll pretty much just be doing gentle spinning for the time being, and probably only short sessions until the pain improves. I have just spotted the Planet X one, spotted one on ebay which looks similar but has 5 “speed” settings and is £60. Is this likely to be hopelessly bad?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I used to have one a few years ago that was either fan or magnetic. It had adjustable resistance which was a bit naff and it was bloody loud.

Currently got a cyclops fluid which is much quieter and it has no naff resistance adjustment.

to be fair, I don’t really know how good it is cos I’ve barely used it. I hate turbo training.

mokl
    Free Member

p.s. thanks but no way I can do rollers- bike will need to be fixed as I can’t put much if any weight through my arms!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I will be off the bike for a good few months next year and am thinking about a turbo. At the very least your legs a moving and your lungs are working and you have a very low chance of reinjury.

Other than getting a cross trainer, which can be picked up for about £60, I don’t think there is a much lower impact way of exercising while at home.

Edit: Just seen your last post as its through your arms you should be ok on a turbo as long as you try to sit upright and not hold onto the bars.

mrblobby
    Free Member

to be fair, I don’t really know how good it is cos I’ve barely used it. I hate turbo training.

🙂 It is definitely a means to an end!

mokl
    Free Member

Yes, I_Ache, my reasoning is the same as yours pretty much. At least I’ll be moving and raising the heart rate a bit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Off the bike for a while – cheap as chips turbo option or something else?’ is closed to new replies.