Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Off-set bushings on a Five – anyone done it?
  • wl
    Free Member

Just thinking of temporarily slackening my Five for super-steep Lakes stuff. Anyone done this using off-set shock bushes? Any clearance issues? And which brand do you recommend? Any tips/experiences welcome. Ta.

jonk

I used 2 on an older 5 to slacken it 1.5 – 2 deg, worked fine and no tyre rub. Got mine from http://www.offsetbushings.com/

Rickos
    Free Member

I used the Burgtec bushes on my old 2008 Five. Worked very well.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers. Mine’s a 2013 model – should work then I guess.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2012 model – 150Fox forks and one Burgtec Off set bush.
    Wanders a little on the climbs but can live with that. Super stable on the downs. The only reason I’ve now got one bush fitted is because I kept clouting the pedals in the peaks!

hora
    Free Member

If you are local to Manchester I have 1xthat you can borrow.

wl
    Free Member

Hora – cheers for that. I’m in Calderdale but, to be honest, I think I’ll just take a punt and buy one bush for around a tenner. Think two might drop my bb too low (unless I’ve misunderstood how they actually work). Cheers anyway.

bedfo
    Free Member

Hey WL

I use to run some on my five. unless they have changed the mounting hardware I’d get two, one will make sod all difference. What’s the offset on the ones you are looking at? I made mine and from memory I had 1.5mm, so that’s 3mm total. The leverage ratio on a five is around 2.7 to 1 so the rear wheel ended up sitting 8.1mm higher up (2.7 x 3). This equates to about 5mm bb drop and less than half a degree on the head angle. There’s no way in the world to achieve 1.5-2 degree change in head angle with bushes!

wl
    Free Member

Bedfo – cheers for that, useful stuff and I know you’ll know your stuff. I’ll make it a pair then. The Five’s pretty much mint as it is – I’m only thinking about a temporary mod for an imminent Lakes trip. By the way, if you fancy meeting us up there for a ride (Sep 1st for 5 nights, me, both Marks and a couple of others) just mail me.

ads678

I’ve been thinking about this recently. I’ve got an old straight top tube five and would like ot try and slacken it off a bit. Been looking at the on one slackset, or works components, but would it be better to get off set bushings as well or one or the other? And what would it actually do to the bike? New frame might be in order at some point but not till next summer probably……..

hora
    Free Member

Tbh even if its a passing phase the bushes are finger pressure easy to swap and use on other frames in the future

goodgrief
    Free Member

x1 offset bush and 36’s lowered to 150mm has been the geometry holy grail for me

roverpig

I’ve been thinking about this recently. I’ve got an old straight top tube five and would like ot try and slacken it off a bit. Been looking at the on one slackset, or works components, but would it be better to get off set bushings as well or one or the other? And what would it actually do to the bike?

I did this with a 2006 frame. I used a 1 degree works components headset (the biggest change you can get with that old 1 1/8 headtube)and a set of burgtec bushings.

The headset decreases the head angle by 1 degree and increases the seat angle by 1 degree

The bushings also reduce the head angle by 1 degree, but also reduce the seat angle by 1 degree.

So, using them both together knocks 2 degrees off the head angle while keeping the seat angle the same.

Both reduce BB height though, so I combined this with a 150mm fork (20mm longer than the 130mm fork that was originally specc’ed on the bike), which also knocks a degree off the head and set angles, but raises the bottom bracket. Overall I thought it worked pretty well, but not well enough to cover up for the fact that the frame was too small for me.

ads678

I’m running pikes generally at 140mm but maybe pre-empting next years frame change and looking for some u-turn lyriks I can set at 150mm would be an idea. To be fair the bike generally gets used for going down hills.

Might give it a go and see how it rides. Cheers roverpig.

roverpig

No point buying new forks for your old bike now if you plan to buy a new frame next year as they’ll all be 650b by then I guess. The Pikes at 140mm should be fine though. Have fun.

ads678

‘New’ frame would probably be a second hand Alpine 160 so lyriks would be useful!! 😀

roverpig

Ah yes, forgot about the Alpine. Good choice 🙂

john690
    Free Member

i used two on my five & fitted a 200mm x 57mm shock no clearence issues & gave me 160mm travel i made them myself, i work for a precision engineering company i offsett them by 2.1mm which is maximum you can go & as i said no probs

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Off-set bushings on a Five – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.