Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • off road routes from chinley back to sheffield?
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

can anyone suggest a good one please??

thank you!

vertebratetom

Loads of options!

BigMassive route:

Start off up and over Chinley Churn, then along Roych Clough and Rushup Edge to Mam Nick. Then head for Hollin’s Cross and drop into the Edale valley near Nether Booth. Up to Hope Cross, then down the beast, over to Ladybower and haul yourself up to Stanage and head in to Sheffield that way.

You could extend that to Blacka too if you fancied.

Short cuts to that might be using Jacob’s to get into Edale, or missing out Ladybower and dropping off Hope Brink to Aston.

A totally different route would be to drop into Castleton/Hope from Hollin’s Cross. You could then either head up the valley, or go up Shatton moor and down that nice singletrack descent to Offerton Hall.

Massive climb up from there to Blacka/Stanage though…

I’ve not done that ride for a while. Might have to look in to it soon. One nice thing about it is that if you do bite off more than you can chew, it’s usually not too far to bail to a train station.

evh22
    Free Member

Chinley, Hayfield, Kinder, Jacob’s ladder, edale, hollin’s cross, mam tor, cave dale, shatton moor, hathersage, stanage plantation, stanage pole, wyming brook, the pootle round the bridleways in rivelin, or go from the pole down via ringinglow through endcliffe park.

Sweet

el_bandido
    Free Member

Lots of options.

(Very approximately) could go up Chinley churn, across to Rushup Edge, across Mam Tor, down Hollins Cross towards the YHA, up to up Hope Cross, over Win Hill then find the bottom of the Long Causeway and get up to Red Mires resevoir

The whole area is well covered by the (brilliant) Dark Peak MTB guidebook from Vertebrae Graphics, your best option would be to stitch together a couple of routes from that. IIRC it has some Sheffield city link routes in it

FOG

I have often thought about doing this. What’s the Hope valley line like with bikes? Do they have a limit and are they sympathetic if the train seems full?

vertebratetom

Do it! Definitely worth riding at least once, if only because A to B rides make a nice change from loops.

They certainly used to have a bike carriage, so I’d guess they were fine with them! I’ve seen at least 10 bikes on before. Never tried when it’s rammed though.

el_bandido
    Free Member

@FOG

I used to live in central Manchester and used that line to go MTBing on a regular basis (at least 2 or 3 weekends a month). I only once encountered a situation where the conductor wouldn’t let cyclists on because of overcrowding. Northern Rail are fairly relaxed about that sort of thing in my experience.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘off road routes from chinley back to sheffield?’ is closed to new replies.