Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Off-road navigation by mobile phone
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

It's time for me to have a look around for a new phone/contract. Normally I just get a basic Nokia handset and the minimum calls and texts included and then don't call or text anyone.

However, looking at all the clever things phones can do now, do I look at something else?

If a mobile phone has a GPS device built in, then one would assume it should be able to tell you where you are without using the mobile network and charging for the privilage. If so, is it possible to run an "app" that converts the location into an ordanance Survey grid reference (or what suit which ever country you're in)?

If this is possible, what phone do it? i couldn't even get the wife's Nokia 5800 to tell me where I was using the GPs earlier, let along try and make sense of the data. Do these types of phones need to be online to get the GPS working properly?

druidh
    Free Member

If you have a Nokia S60 phone, get the UTM data application for it. This will show your current OSGB Grid Ref using the internal GPS.

http://utmdata.blogspot.com/

Smee
    Free Member

Phones with all that garbage on are crap – they permanently fall over at the first sign of moisture.

druidh
    Free Member

🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not planning on strapping it to the bars and doing river crossings, just wondered if it all went a bit Pete Tong I could whip the phone out of the camelbak, look at the map and work out where the **** I was. Might be useful for self guided hols in the Alps.

timraven

I've got a Nokia 5800 running viewranger software, absolutely fantastic, unless you're under heavy tree cover 😀

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Ditto .. but with 6210 Navigator .. and I've got a Boxit case for it that clips to my 'bak strap if I want .. but otherwise protects from dust/shox/water while jangling around in the 'bak.

chorlton
    Free Member

I'd be worried about battery life on the phone in case I might need it for emergencies.

timraven

Battery on the nokia lasts over a day with gps on constantly and reasonable phone use.

druidh
    Free Member

Does anyone bother to read the OP any more? The guy wants some software on a GPS-capable phone on which he can, if required, obtain a grid reference. Battery life won't be a problem as the GPS won't be running all the time.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Onion, the pretty much sums it up. Next time I get lost in the Alps (or wherever) I want to just pull out the iPhone (or whatever) grab a gps signal and have it converted to whatever system is used on the paper map I'll have with me and then get myself home from there.

I'm guessing that in that situation, i should be able to get a gps signal but might struggle with phone networks (plus I'm too tight to want to pay for international data roaming).

druidh
    Free Member

That'll work. The only problem is that a GPS can take several minutes to get a satellite lock if it's not been on for a while. This is exacerbated when you've made a long way in the intervening period. A-GPS helps get around this but needs a mobile phone signal.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

The gps on my w995 works with the wayfinder navigator well, also google maps and the near me app. Takes about 10 seconds to locate itself usually. Not many apps for sony phones though, don't know if there is one for os maps. I like the fact I can have 3 or even 4 apps open at the same time on it. Something my previous nokia's have really struggled with

chorlton
    Free Member

Does anyone bother to read the OP any more?

Yes. I did. It was only a suggestion.
    Anyway you should be using a map and compass and save money on the brain training games. 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

If you want to rely on a mobile phone application for when you get lost in the Alps, then you will:

get lost
    whip out phone
    find out something has leaked on it
    or the battery has died
    or you can't get a fix because of weather or geography

The whole point of the things you need in an emergency is that you can rely upon them to work. Which is why maps and compasses are still used – because they work.

dmiller
    Free Member

I have used the gps on nokia and sony ericsson phones, to be honest they are a bit rubbish. Ok in a tight spot at a pinch. Wouldn't ever like to rely on one if i was lost any where other than a city centre. Get a cheap garmin hand held effort and use that. You can get the older ones on the bay for £50. Now you don't care what phone you get go to phones 4 u etc and a cheap one with a free xbox or ps3! Either keep and play or sell to pay for bike stuff. Job done! 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Map and compass are used normally and with great success. However, once in a while it's nice to have what you believe confirmed by another source. I'm not foolish enough to venture out there with a paper map and the know how to use it. If I'm carrying something with me that might be able to help, like a phone, then why not use it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

double tap

dmiller
    Free Member

And yeah, ffs take a map, compas and know how to use them! I have been lost enough times in scotland to know the value of a map. Also your gps and map plan is good but bear in mind at the bottom of a steep valley with heavy tree cover and add in all the nice signal absorbing snow falling your gps may just not be able to see a satellite. Then you may be in trouble…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don't plan on relying on it, I know often it isn't going to work, I just thought it might be a nice free little helper for those moments where it doesn't quite make sense.

After all, even a map and compass sometimes don't work. Ever tried navigating featureless terrain in heavy fog over high iron content ground? Bit of gps help from the phone could be useful then!

TooTall
    Free Member

If you can't follow good practice to navigate over featureless terrain in no vis, then a whizzy phone isn't going to change the price of fish.

As for your 'high iron content ground' – thats getting pretty specific and extreme and very localised. If you have ventured there, you either know about it and know how to cope, or you don't and you are beyond your own limits.

If you need your location on a map, with a compass, confirming from another source, you need to be going out with someone who can use them properly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

TooTall, bet you never carry a second spare tube either!

I was just looking for advice on how I might be able to make the best of something I would be carrying anyway. I know how to use a map and compass and I'm not looking for a load of anti technology willy waving. What you're suggesting is like riding with a full bouncy bike locked out all the time because it's more manly. If you've got the kit, what's wrong with using it?

Okay, the high iron contect was a stretch but I can think of loads of other reasons why a compass might let you down as I'm sure you could if you're as nifty with old school navigation as your posts imply.

TooTall
    Free Member

I ride 50% tubeless and carry 2 x spare tubes – one 29 and one 26 as well as some instant patches. I carry tools, tie wraps, first aid kit, emergency bivvy bag, cash, mobile phone, compass, torch and some energy gel. Probably something to do with being responsible for myself and anyone I take out with me and the good training I had to get me qualified.

I've got no problem with technology – I own a GPS. You appeared to be wanting to use it for energencies and be reliant upon it in extremis. Navigation is about knowing where you are all the time – not where you are when you are lost. I'm saying a map and compass together with looking around you are the optimum combination – a compass alone isn't that much good.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Then we seem to be agreeing! I know you can't beat a map and compass combined with knowing how to use them (they do quite a good job of teaching that in the Brisitsh military as well as how to be responsible for yourself). I'll be carrying a phone anyway as I always do. I'm not looking to use it as an alternative to knowing what I'm doing, I'm not looking for a get out of jail free card. I'm also not arrogant enough to think that my map reading and navigation skills will never let me down and I'll never make a mistake. Therefore, all I wanted was some advice on how I might be able to squeeze a little extra functionality out of something I already have. Is that really what you're objecting to so strongly? Surely as someone who goes out trained and prepared, you can't argue with that!

Or is that just troll that I can smell?

ChrisS
    Free Member

For the iPhone, check out this application:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gps2os/id308719281?mt=8

dyls

The viewranger software works superbly on the Nokia 5800 – which is what I have got for hiking. For cycling though you need a gps system that you can attach to your bars.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

there do seem to be a few people right up their own arses on this thread!!

christ, give the guy a break.

fwiw the gps on my 5800 works alright, but i've not tried it out in the wilds.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I use an o2 Orbit XDA Mk1 and have done for the last 2 years. Loaded Memory Map onto it and I now have a computerised OSGB GPS moving map display that can download the track data to a home PC – absolutely brilliant. The PDA sits in a Peli case and I have made a supplementary power pack that charges the PDA via the USB socket. Runs for about 48 hours at full GPS usage.
    Orbit Mk 1s are about 80 quid on ebay.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Off-road navigation by mobile phone’ is closed to new replies.