Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Off Road Mountain Biking Clothing and Protection Project
  • poynton53
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

My names Dan Poynton, a product design student from the University of Lincoln.

As part of my final year I am doing a project on Mountain Biking Gear.

I just want to ask you guys some questions…

Do any of you wear baselayers or do you go in just your jerseys or a tshirt?

Do you guys put a rucksack on everytime that you go out or is it a grab and go sort of thing where you just stuff things in your pockets and off you go…?

Why do you choose loose/tight clothing over the other?? Is it style, because it keeps you cool or comfort?

Finally is there any certain brands that you really like the style of? No matter what the price…!

Thanks, really hope to hear of some of you with some cool responces and ideas

Dan

jekkyl

You’ll get on better if you make it into a survey and then put it on a thread. You’ve also misspelt responses.

base layer every ride, it’s winter innit! in summer yes of course, I usually wear a cycling jersey or if on a trail centre a sports wicking T shirt.

Do you guys put a rucksack on everytime that you go out or is it a grab and go sort of thing where you just stuff things in your pockets and off you go…?

I personally don’t like wearing a backpack when cycling. I have a tool bag behind my saddle and my phone/cash/snacks in my jersey pockets.

Why do you choose loose/tight clothing over the other?? Is it style, because it keeps you cool or comfort?

Content and function trump aesthetics every time for me. base layers are usually tight, over jumper/jacket is loose.

Finally is there any certain brands that you really like the style of? No matter what the price…!

No

ninfan
    Free Member

camelbak of some form every time

only really use a base layer in cold weather

personally, I think a really interesting project could be done by actually studying carefully what parts of the body get wet/muddy and which get sweaty in different types of biking, and tuning the protection and fabric accordingly, rather than just a waterproof jacket (think ‘pit zips’ concept but much more radical).

jsync

Wouldn’t it be better to set up one of those online survey thingys?

kimbers

baselayer when its cold, which is a lot

backpack every time

usually wear tight lycra undershorts and baggies on top- large gut, small willy, so no choice !- jerseys looseish

nah price wins for me, but usually go for branded bargains if that makes sense!

jsync
    DaRC_L

Use SurveyMonkey (but you could do with probably a few more questions) ..

– Never a t-shirt (wrong fabric) base layer in winter. Still use my favourite winter MTB jersey (an old Endura design – thicker than the current Humvee with a double front layer to prevent wind chill)

– Depends, one bike set up for grab and go (tools in cycle jersey zipped pocket) but mostly a Camelbak or similar

– On the road bike i follow most of the Velominati rules (apart from winter commuting when YJA / visibility is a must)
    On MTB it’s about function as such, baggy shorts

Finally is there any certain brands that you really like the style of? For MTB I’m feeling pretty meh about most of the designs for shorts & jerseys.

FuzzyWuzzy

Always a baselayer, even if it’s 30c I’ll wear a string-vest type one
    Always a backpack on the MTB, even if it’s a 30min ride, I prefer being over-prepared and it’s jsut the norm for me now so don’t miss the freedom of being packless (even though I regularly ride the road bike without one).
    Loose on MTB, it’s kind of the norm/style, anyone wearing tight lycra on an MTB best be quick. That said someone like Doddy looks even worse in their clashing baggy try-hard outfits.
    Not much MTB clothing brand loyalty for me, I buy based on recommendations and looks. I did have a thing for Specialized baggies at one point as they were pretty minimalist (I hate shorts with pockets and zips everywhere) but that’s more looks than a brand.

hs125
    Free Member

1. Base layer whenever it is cool/cold
    2. Extremely rare that I carry a rucksack. Pockets & saddle bag + water bottle preferred
    3. Tight clothing because of function
    4. I never buy a brand for the sake of it.

jsync

1. Wicking Tee / LS Tee
    2. Bag with same stuff in regardless, easier as everything in one place
    3. Fitted
    4. Seem to have a lot of Endura kit but always price concious

40mpg

1. Baselayer all the time. Merino in winter, lighter synthetic in summer unless it REALLY hot then just a jersey

2. Always my camelbak. Its all in there ready to go, just add water!

3. Tight on the road bike, looser on MTB. Baggy shorts always on MTB (less self conscious at pub stops)

4. No. Function over form as it all gets trashed, so mostly Aldi/Lidl/On-One/sales.

towzer

– wear layers to suit (cold) conditions, usually with a spare in rucksack

– have rucksack that always has everything I need,always take

comfort (lycra, imo, is not family friendly)

no

jambalaya
    Free Member

Base layer, yes most of the year, either merino or compression type in warmer weather
    Backpack, yes always take camelback pack with spares and personal items plus water, plus it’s useful protection for otb somersaults
    Clothing, always wear tight Lycra cycling shorts and base layer under looser fitting shorts/shirt. Tight clothes are for roadies and xc whippets and I am neither
    No brands I wear independent of price, an icebreaker base layer is £100 and worth it, a £300 jacket isn’t for me

poynton53
    Free Member

Thankyou to everyone who has answered so far, the comments being made are brilliant and will help my research into a viable product.

I will look at getting a quick questionnaire designed so that it is easier for you guys to give me quick and easy answers.

Thnaks again
    Dan

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Off Road Mountain Biking Clothing and Protection Project’ is closed to new replies.