Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ofcom/ BBC statistics
  • totalshell

reporting today that 58% of all adult males ( over 18’s) have a smart phone. frankly i dont believe it. i visit 8 – 12 homes a day in my work and i see None in the over 60’s households. and with 24% of young adult males ( under 24) out of work surely theres another group largely excluded which must mean that praciticaly all adult males between 24 and 60 must have a smart phone? do you?

cp

yes.

it wouldn’t surprise me. being out of work doesn’t seem to mean someone wouldn’t own a smartphone! Seems to be one of the highest owner groups from what I’ve seen – one of the first thing dole money goes on…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My phone is clever enough to do everything I ask of it.

MSP

one of the first thing dole money goes on…

That and the 50″ wide screen tv, spending all day in the pub drinking and smoking, running a car blah blah daily mail blah.

When I was out of work I was financially crippled in 2 months, is there a different dole office that I don’t know about that gives out big bundles of money?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

MSP – They steal all that stuff, silly… or use the profits from there drug deals, obviously.

maccruiskeen

You’ve highlighted two extremes of the ‘Adult Male’, the youngest and oldest, then taken the tiny sample of your personal experience of one group and made a guess about the other.

24% of the young being out of work, that means are 76% are in work, thats quite a lot. And given those young scamps are all born with playstation thumbs its likely the majority will have a smart phone of some sort.

Of the other 24%…. Being out of work today is not the same as being out of work all the time. Most people who are out of work are only out of work for short periods. Many employers like to fill posts with temporary staff, even if the role is an on-going one. Thats particularly true of the kinds of jobs that young people do. So for many people being out of work is better described as ‘in and out of work’

Being out of work also isn’t always the same as being poor, particularly if you are young, and still living at home. There is also an anachronism of the way unemployment figures gathered, and lots of students are identified as being ‘out of work’.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Most phones and contract deals include a smart phone but this does not mean the person owning it uses it as anything other than a phone. I have one but I use it as a phone ONLY

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ofcom/ BBC statistics’ is closed to new replies.