Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Of all the bikes you have had how accurate were the reviews?
  • vondally
    Free Member

…..be they, magazine, riders reviews or forum speculation?

druidh
    Free Member

Not a bad record actually.

I saw a review of the Blur before I bought it and I reckon it’s spot on.
    The Amazon and Cube were bought “blind” but reviews have basically matched my experience. Same for the mmmbop.
    The only one I’d really take issue with was the Inbred. It’s a lot more “dead” feeling than most reviews made out.

soulboy
    Free Member

The Giant Anthem had consistently good reviews and I’ve found mine to be superb, so spot on there. The Whyte 146, on the other hand, is usually presented as having a flexy frame, giving it unpredictable handling. I can only think that the reviewers push the limits much further than I do because I find mine excellent.
    I guess the trick is to use the reviews as a starting point, find a bike that works for you, ignore subsequent comparisons with the latest and greatest and just get out and ride the thing!
    Now, that braced-up 146 with the 34mm Fox forks and 11-speed cassette, hmmm…

rocketman
    Free Member

Generally pretty good but by then it was too late 🙂

In a perverse kindof way I find it interesting to read what someone else thinks about my bike it gives me more of an insight into the reviewer/magazine than the bike.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeti 575 reviews always seemed pretty much spot on. I remember a Singletrack one comparing it to the Blur and a WMB one I think.
    Obviously it’s obsolete now as its a 2006 model.

xiphon
    Free Member

I don’t buy bikes on reviews – if I like the look of one, I’ll try to swing a leg over it.

Can usually decide within seconds if it’s right for me.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t buy bikes on reviews

Neither do I, but sometimes its interesting to read a review of the bike you own. Well I think so anyway.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

My Epic 26er, MBR review stated “as fast and forgiving on the downhills as a trail bike” and “preferred by the testers who are used to riding long travel trail bikes as they could ride in the exact same way as their trail machines downhill”

Maybe its my crap technique, but whilst the bike is really good, If I’d bought off that review, I’d have been dissappointed / in hospital

julians
    Free Member

fairly accurate reviews of mine in the professional sector.

A lot of the ‘user’ reviews were just full of gushing praise, I found it more useful to look at what a few of the ‘users’ thought were negatives and them draw my own conclusions as to wheher they would be a big issue for me.

DezB
    Free Member

Obviously it’s obsolete now as its a 2006 model was sarcastic btw 🙂

bluebird
    Free Member

I’ve got a Tracer2, I’d say the ST and Pinkbike reviews were pretty accurate.

vondally
    Free Member

Bought plenty of bikes ‘blind’ and used reviews as a starting point…..disagreed with a lot of the magazine reviews bought

Fisher cake. Stw preferred it over a 5spot from turner. Terrible bike.
    Intense tracer horst link supposedly the best bike out there…. Did not work for me
    Scott spark…..carbon frame…..not as trail bike at all managed to make it flex all over the place.
    Yeti asr7 love mine but reviewers not keen but riders reviews been helpful in setting itup.
    Riders reviews do give ansight into long term issues and niggles except Hora’s very subjective.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Anthem X 26er, the magazine reviews mostly say it can flatter even the most technically inept riders

its true!

wl
    Free Member

Patriots always get good reviews and my own two have both been mint.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmmm,

Bike reviews are all so very subjective. Whilst I am happy to hear a considered opinion there’s really no substitute to sticking your leg over a bike and having a quick pedal.

Bikes need to feel like they ‘fit’ for me and as I am a non average lump of person I can’t rely on what the reviews say for the final decision.

To be honest – I get more from reading the tech specs then I do from reviews. But that’s because reviewers don’t know how heavy I am, how I ride or where I ride – so I almost need to translate any review into the world I exist in.

I’m not sure any of that made sense – if someone wants to review it, please do.

vondally
    Free Member

Good points Drswank most bikes are not designed for 13 stone plus riders

vondally
    Free Member

Good points Drswank most bikes are not designed for 13 stone plus riders

fasthaggis

I bought a Kona Explosif ,they said it would change my life.
    It did 🙂

SimonR

Reviews by people who ride in a similar way and on similar terrain seem to be pretty reliable.

See too many dogmatic reviews though that reflect a particular tester’s viewpoint without an appreciation that not everyone wants the same out of a bike.

Also see too many reviews that don’t fundamentally understand engineering and come out with all sorts of crap ….. that’s probably the topic of a different thread entirely 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

I demo’d a Cotic Rocket on the strength of the forum speculation on here.

I found it more than lived up to my expectations. So much so that I bought one despite the fact that I really don’t *need* a 150mm trail bike… 😳

I kinda view it as I have a 100mm bike that goes to 150mm if i *were* to need it though :mrgreen:

takisawa2

Charlie says… “The best bike I have ever ridden – seriously. I have been riding and racing on one of these for about 4 years. I run it with rigid steel fork and one gear. The handling is out of this world. You know when folk return from a demo ride they say “I am actually a better biker than I thought I was”, which pretty much sums it up. Get one of these and remove all the mechanical limitations to your biking. Its a pretty tough approach as the only weakness left… is you!”

Based on a few other reviews, & a chat with the monger above himself, I’d say my bike certainly lived up to my expectations. I love it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Yep – Pitch Pro – Review was spot-on.

Trimix
    Free Member

I find bike reviews a bit like reading a horoscope.

I read the reviews of mine after I test rode it and bought it. In general they were OK, but not that detailed to be judged as close or not.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I bought my Evil after having a play on one and realising I needed it in my life. Read around a few reviews as well, and the one that sticks in my mind concluded ‘THIS BIKE IS THE ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS’ which closely matches my experience…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Most reviews say my pace 305 is too unforgiving to ride all day. I’ve been smashing it around the peaks for years, even done lord of the loops with it. I totally disagree.

ads678

I ride an Orange Five and agree with all the reviews that it is the best bike in the world, Fact! 😀

I also have a GT Avalanche, i think the majority of reviews were quite complimentary about it and i’ve never had an issue with it. I’ve change every component on it, but never had any issues.

Northwind

The Hemlock review was accurate- incredible bike, rides brilliantly, some snappage.

Dirt deceived me over my Herb, they said it’s one of the fastest bikes they’d ridden, in that case why am I still so slow eh?

C456 reviews are mostly pretty reasonable but are skewed by that one when the reviewer was high. (too stiff to ride over rocks, your hands will fall off! But also too flexy to pedal!)

racefaceec90

i have to agree with anthem reviews.i had a 10 anthem x2 (and apart from my lack of fitness/raw speed) the reviews were pretty much spot on (the bike did save me more than once 🙂

vondally
    Free Member

LOL re the herb review……..

Do we get the bike and then read reviews and concur or reaffirm our conclusions?

andytherocketeer

haha remember that 456 review. Was convinced it was written as the clock struck 420 😉

Most reviews I take with a large crate of salt, especially those from the large mainstream mags available in smiths and tescos. Customer reviews on store websites are always “the dogs danglies best thing since slice bread”, AND the “biggest pile of doggy doo doo”, both at the same time. Almost always need to apply a BS filter.

My brakes got a 5* out of 5 magazine review for being the most powerful, and 4 months later got a 3* (and they were being generous) from the same magazine because “the market has moved on and they are a bit long in the tooth”.

Never read a review for any of my bikes.

MrAgreeable

I pointed it at something but couldn’t figure out how to make it shoot. Is there some sort of concealed trigger?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sometimes I definitely recognise the bike they’re describing in reviews – such as the original 80mm Anthem, Trek Fuiel EX and Zesty.

Haven’t seen a review where anyone’s really got the point of the Mondraker Foxy though. Dirt recognised it as a good bike but didn’t really describe the ride – which is quite individual.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Steve Worland’s review of the Giant Trance convinced me to buy one. He highly praised it’s easy sure-footedness for noobs and it’s high-speed traction for more advanced riders.

I completely agree. And after 4.5 years riding, will add that it’s versatility and reliability are also plus points.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Of all the bikes you have had how accurate were the reviews?’ is closed to new replies.