Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • OEM Forks What should I worry about?
  • sputnik
    Free Member

Right, I have been tempted by the On One offer to buy a Reba Team for £250. Having just phoned them I now know it's OEM forks. They do have a warranty and I just want to run them at 100mm so not worried about the possibility of changing travel. The steerers are 210mm which is enough so no problem there. Is there anything else i need to know about OEM forks(products) that might change my mind and not spend £250?

hp_source

in my experience with other items (generally computer bits) OEM tends to mean it's not got the retail packaging (shiny box etc) and sometimes the manual too (not much of a problem as manuals are available via the internet anyway)

it's basically the way rockshox would ship them to a bike manufacturer (on-one) if they were going to build them onto a bike to then sell on.

spec & warranty-wise they should be the same as the retail items

Dobbo

I think it's the max rotor size thats 210 mm, the steerers won't have been cut will they?

I've been wondering the same question about the same forks. Do I get my 6 year old Fox Floats serviced for £100 or buy new forks?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Worry? Well if plain boxes and lower prices are a problem then avoid, other wise there's no problem!

Daffy

Often OEM forks have a steel steerer as opposed to retail having an Alu one. They're slightly heavier is all.

Warranty on OEM is only one year as opposed to retail which is 2 years on Fox and DT…not sure about RS.

You'll still get a manual, but may not get a shock pump. £15-£20

Junkyard
    Free Member

as above it will be indentical but without the box
    The merlin website (EBAY) explains this but cannot access as Barred at work.

sputnik
    Free Member

"Worry? Well if plain boxes and lower prices are a problem then avoid, other wise there's no problem! " 😆
    Dobbo, just phone em to check but I am sure the steerer lenght was 210, not max rotor size, jeez, is there bigger than 210 rotors? 🙄

Dobbo

It says "Steerer Tube – Aluminium 1.1/8”" so if it's steel I'd send them back!!

Travel – 100mm
    • Travel Adjust – All Travel
    • Weight* – 1610g (3.55lbs) to 1814g (4.0lbs)
    • Spring – Dual Air
    • Spring Adjust – Air pressure via dual Schrader valves
    • Damping – BlackBox Motion Control
    • Damping Adjust – External rebound, low speed compression to 'Lock' with external Floodgate
    • Lowers – Magnesium, post mount disc brake
    • Crown – Forged, hollow AL66 TV aluminium
    • Steerer Tube – Aluminium 1.1/8”
    • Upper Tubes – 32mm, 7000 series straight wall aluminium, low friction anodized
    • Suggested Rear – Shox Monarch / Ario
    • Max. Recommended Rotor Size – 210 mm

njee20
    Free Member

Dobbo: steerer will likely be cut, the bike manufacturer isn't going to want to cut down thousands of steerers when RS could supply them the right length. 210mm won't refer to a rotor size.

twohats
    Free Member

spec & warranty-wise they should be the same as the retail items

Spec might differ to retail models, i.e. steel steerer instead of alloy, slightly different damper with less adjustments, otherwise no need not to buy them if the price is right.

BoardinBob

Glad I never bought my Reba Teams from On One as I needed a 220mm steerer!

Merlin to their credit do state in their ads if the steerers are different lengths from the norm.

sputnik
    Free Member

When I spoke to owner of my LBS he said Brant ( who he is not a big fan off) has got the license from SRAM to buy whole bikes which he then splits and sell as parts, frames. Which will explain why the steerers are cut. Not sure if it is true or not.

Dobbo

The bits I've quoted are from the ad on on-one about the said forks. i.e. rotor size and steerer! They should word the advert to suit what they are selling if they are not as the standard spec.

iainc

well I yesterday recieved a set of Reba SL's from Merlin – OEM, yes, £224 -)), in a sturdy box, with bubble wrap etc. steerer was rough cut to around 230mm with a sfn in it. serial no. intact and manual, reducers, pushloc. total bargain on a fork that retails well over £300 (full rrp £370)

BoardinBob

The bits I've quoted are from the ad on on-one about the said forks. i.e. rotor size and steerer! They should word the advert to suit what they are selling if they are not as the standard spec.

They've just copied and pasted the standard blurb from the SRAM site

tragically1969
    Free Member

well I yesterday recieved a set of Reba SL's from Merlin – OEM, yes, £224 :P, in a sturdy box, with bubble wrap etc. steerer was rough cut to around 230mm with a sfn in it. serial no. intact and manual, reducers, pushloc. total bargain on a fork that retails well over £300 (full rrp £370

Ahhh yes but the question is can you change them to 120mm !!??!! 😉

Dobbo

BoardinBob – Member

They've just copied and pasted the standard blurb from the SRAM site

Doesnt mean they don't check it matches what they are selling, like I said I'd want a refund if they turned up with a steerer cut too short or if it was steel. I.E. not as they advertised. I think thats fair enough! Merlin say if the steerer has been cut I'd hope on-one would as well.

thomthumb
    Free Member

When I spoke to owner of my LBS he said Brant ( who he is not a big fan off) has got the license from SRAM to buy whole bikes which he then splits and sell as parts, frames. Which will explain why the steerers are cut. Not sure if it is true or not.

brant don't work there – and where are the frames for sale? sounds like brant hating – which there is a lot of in the industry – planet x and later on one were quite open about taiwanese catalogues which has put a lot of noses out of joint.

iainc

Ahhh yes but the question is can you change them to 120mm !!??!!

– dunno – I wanted 100mm forks 😆

timwillows
    Free Member

So anyone know if the on-one Rebas can be run at 120mm?
    Some say the OEMs are not adjustable, but then what does the 'Travel Adjust – All Travel' bit mean?

tazzymtb

travel adjust -all travel means that there is an internal spacer rather than a u-turn dial, remove it (easy job) and you get 115 or 120mm travel depending on the year fork, add another spacer to the stock 100mm and you get 85mm, easy peasy

takes about 10 mins with a set of circlip pliers, 5mm allen key and some fork oil.

theboatman
    Free Member

Ahhh yes but the question is can you change them to 120mm !!??!!

Dunno about iainc's, but my brothers OEM Reba SL's had the spacer in and were easily converted to 120mm.

sputnik
    Free Member

Right, ordered mine tonight from On One and will report back when I have received them, cant wait 😉

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Just ordered some myself.

On one website states steerer length cut to 210 at the top of the description and 252 further down !!??

Seem an excellent bargain IF the steerer is 252 – (I need 225)

I'll email to check before they get sent.

Cheers

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

re above post re different steerer lengths quoted – lifted from On one website

Rock Shox Reba Team 100 Black 2009 With Pushloc & Manual

Steerer is cut to 210mm and fitted with a star fangled nut

The perfect Cross Country fork, the Reba Team puts together light weight, stiffness, and consistency to make it one of the top suspension products on the market.

Cross Country riding is an adventure. It is getting outdoors and becoming part of landscape rather than just looking in from the outside. Powering your bike along an epic single track in the mountains or just cruising your local trails, cross country is a lifestyle you can only understand by doing it. Todd Wells: Team GT Bikes

• Travel – 100mm
    • Travel Adjust – All Travel
    • Weight* – 1610g (3.55lbs) to 1814g (4.0lbs)
    • Spring – Dual Air
    • Spring Adjust – Air pressure via dual Schrader valves
    • Damping – BlackBox Motion Control
    • Damping Adjust – External rebound, low speed compression to 'Lock' with external Floodgate
    • Lowers – Magnesium, post mount disc brake
    • Crown – Forged, hollow AL66 TV aluminium
    Steerer Tube – Aluminium 1.1/8 (Cut to 252mm – SFN fitted)
    • Upper Tubes – 32mm, 7000 series straight wall aluminium, low friction anodized
    • Suggested Rear – Shox Monarch / Ario
    • Max. Recommended Rotor Size – 210 mm

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

does anyone know if you can just unscrew the blackbox motion control and put it into an 2008 revelation??

sputnik
    Free Member

Right, to clear a few things up. Received forks day after I ordered them. 🙂
    Steerer length 250 mm 🙂
    Fitted forks and looks ace 🙂
    Broke my arm yesterday (bike related accident) so wont be able to tell just how good they are for 6 weeks 🙁

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

sputnik – Member

Right, to clear a few things up. Received forks day after I ordered them.
    Steerer length 250 mm
    Fitted forks and looks ace
    Broke my arm yesterday (bike related accident) so wont be able to tell just how good they are for 6 weeks

Just heard back from on-one – yup 252mm steerer – bargaintastic.

sputnik – sorry to hear about your shoulder.

Cheers

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘OEM Forks What should I worry about?’ is closed to new replies.