Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Oddly Misunderstood Songs
  • GrahamS

Just saw the latest Heinz advert on the tellybox, which uses the classic “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine”. Lovely.

Shame it’s actually about someone who is heartbroken because their lover left them:

“I’ll always love you
    and make you happy
    If you will only
    Say the same
    but if you leave me
    To have another
    You’ll regret it all someday
    You told me once dear
    You really loved me
    and no one else could come between
    but now you’ve left me and I’ve got nothing
    You have tattered all my dreams!”

Mmm.. Heartbreak and tattered dreams. I fancy some soup. 🙂

What other songs are popularly misunderstood?

Some that spring to mind:

You’re Gorgeous by Baby Bird: popular at weddings of a certain era, but actually about being lied to and taken advantage of by someone you love.

Wake Up Boo by Boo Radleys: a summer anthem, that actually starts “Summer’s gone”

Barbie Girl by Aqua: cutesy airhead song, that is actually quite cutting about blonde bimbos.

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxoke4yuWlI[/video]

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I think you may be overthinking a bean advert.

daveawood
    Free Member

George W Bush once used Springsteens’ “Born in the USA” as a campaign song failing to appreciate both
    A/ it’s a Vietnam war protest song and
    B/ Bruce’s permission should have been sought first but wasn’t so he sued Bush.

GrahamS

I think you may be overthinking a bean advert.

Maybe 😛 but it’s one of those songs that gets used a lot in adverts and happy montages, which always amuses me.

portlyone

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q[/video]

Pook

There She Goes by the Las is actually about heroin

“there she goes….running through my veins….racing through my brain…”

higgo
    Free Member

Broader than just songs but it amazes me that people think The Smiths are depressing. They do have their glum moments but at other times they’re hilarious.

Rorschach
    Free Member

BBC using Lou Reed’s ‘pefect day’…also a song abour drugs.
    Madonna singing about Anna Friel on ‘ray of light’ 😉

higgo
    Free Member

There She Goes by the Las is actually about heroin

See also ‘Golden Brown’ by The Stranglers, ‘Perfect Day’ by Lou Reid and many others.

Rorschach
    Free Member

All the best songs are about drugs you know 8)

brakes
    Free Member

contrary to popular opinion, the song ‘Ironic’ by Alanis Morrisette, is actually ironic. by deliberately describing things in her song that actually aren’t ironic, she is being ironic.
    I think.
    probably.

camo16
    Free Member

Springsteen’s ‘Secret Garden’ in Jerry Maguire.

It’s used in a sentimental way – the misunderstandings between Tom and Rene etc. But it’s actually about how sad it is to be a hoe…

GrahamS

john_drummer
    Free Member

“‘scuze me while I kiss this guy”

there used to be a website for misunderstood song lyrics, not surprisingly it was “www.kissthisguy.com” or some such

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

If we’re talking inappropriate songs for weddings, then “Band of Gold” has to be right up there!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cameron and Eton Rifles 😀

emsz
    Free Member

I thought the bloke that wrote it has said that There she goes is not about drugs?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i remember being at clubs and seeing the rage against the machine anthem **** you I wont do what you tell me and how all the moody types would all get up en mass and dance to it shouting it in unison …very “yes we are al individuals” – life of brian for me.
    Dancing queen as well but I have spent to much time in gay clubs 😉

alba23
    Free Member

Ronald Reagan or Bush who used Born in the USA?

Pyro

The Police – I’ll Be Watching You. Not a nice sweet romantic song, it’s about stalking…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

My wife has just reminded me of the wedding we attended where the happy couple left to “young hearts, run free” 😯

Cougar

You’re Gorgeous by Baby Bird

What always struck me about that song was, it’s very clearly a woman singing to a bloke from the lyrics. Sung by a bloke either doesn’t make sense or, well, changes the dynamic somewhat.

GrahamA
    Free Member

REM The One I Love

Often mistaken for a love song

“A simple prop to occupy my time”
    “Another prop has occupied my time”

But quite the opposite

tazzymtb

W.A.S.P’s “F___ like a beast”, was actually quite a tender love song

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes that old softie Blackie lawless…like barbara cartland with long hair and only slightly less makeup 😉

GrahamS

The Police – I’ll Be Watching You. Not a nice sweet romantic song, it’s about stalking…

Yep nice one. Sting apparently hates that this one is used at weddings etc as he wrote it while breaking up with his wife.

Just though of another one along the same line, good ol’ Phil Collins and “In The Air Tonight”.

“I’ve been waiting for this moment for all my life” – oooh that’s so romantic isn’t it?

Erm… no!

“Well if you told me you were drowning
    I would not lend a hand
    I’ve seen your face before, my friend
    But I don’t know if you know who I am?
    Well I was there and I saw what you did
    I saw it with my own two eyes
    So you can wipe off that grin
    Know where you’ve been
    It’s all been a pack of lies”

Apparently about a guy that Phil saw commit some crime, possibly murder, finally getting what was coming to him!

GrahamS

REM The One I Love
    Often mistaken for a love song

I always read that as: he has occupied his time with someone else because the one he loved got away. The second verse suggests that more clearly:

“This one goes out to the one I’ve left behind
    Another prop has occupied my time
    This one goes out to the one I love “

But yeah, hardly the romantic notion to sing to your sweetheart 😀

On REM, what about “Shiny Happy People”?

Chirpy, bouncy, feel good anthem or absolutely dripping with sarcasm?

“Everyone around love them, love them
    Put it in your hands
    Take it take it
    There’s no time to cry”

It’s actually about folk high on Benzedrine, that “Gold and silver shine”:

igm

Junkyard – Member
    yes that old softie Blackie lawless…like barbara cartland with long hair and only slightly less makeup

Even more alike after his exploding cod piece backfired of course

grahamh
    Free Member

The Police song about the BBC presenter..
    ‘Sue lawley, Sue Lawley’ 🙂

dogbert
    Free Member

If we’re talking inappropriate songs for weddings, then “Band of Gold” has to be right up there!

Or the wedding I was at, sat and had pictures taken while “Time to Say Goodbye” by Andrea Bocelli was being played…….nice

tazzymtb

the classic song Ken Lee

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyP5prAf4RU[/video]

samuri
    Free Member

Broader than just songs but it amazes me that people think The Smiths are depressing. They do have their glum moments but at other times they’re hilarious.

Well I’ve never thought they were depressing, just rubbish. I must admit, I don’t get the attraction.

mav12
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=yhHFyfdLy40[/video]

didnt no this was about an execution untill i saw him sing it this year awsome performance

GrahamS

Just for giggles I tried updating the Wikipedia article about “Shiny Happy People” to point out that it is about Benzedrine.

I included the image of Benzedrine in the “gold and silver shine” packaging, linked to the wiki article about recreational abuse of Benzedrine and the euphoric high it produces and noted that “What’s The Frequency Kenneth?” actually mentions Benzedrine by name.

Funnily enough my additions got immediately reverted by a user describing himself as a “Christian radical”. 🙄

Hey ho, the joys of the wiki. 😀

MrsToast
    Free Member

I giggled at the All Saints covering ‘Under the Bridge’, thinking it was a ‘really nice love song’. Er, no. It’s about scoring drugs. Under a bridge.

And Tazzy, love Ken Lee! 😀

“Ken Leeeee, aribbydiibbbydouchooooo! KEEENNNNN LLEEEEEEEE! KEN LEE HEENNNY HAWWWW!”

Mr Toast is the master of misheard lyrics – his spirited rendition of ‘Grapefruit’ by Queen (aka Breakthrough) has to be heard!

More misheard lyrics…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs[/video]

When I saw them supporting Iron Maiden the other year, I couldn’t stop laughing when they played that song. BOAT! RUDDER! STRANGE! MOUNTAIN!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Was going to mention under the bridge but mrs toast beat me to it.

toppers3933
    Free Member

if were talking inappropriate songs then at a friend of ours wedding their first dance was genuinly to ‘if you cant be with the one you love, love the one you’re with’. i spat champagne everywhere it was so funny.

jonba
    Free Member

Spent ages reading the lyrics of songs looking for wedding music. I think we’re going to have to go for instrumentals.

Not related but two that annoy me are Greenday – time of your life and The Killers – Mr Brightside which people always seem to think are happy songs when they are both fairly depressing.

We had a debate whether we could do our first dance to the Eels song – My beloved monster and me. We both like the song but I think we’ve decided against it. I was all for trying to find something we could laugh about and see if anyone would notice but this was a bit blatant.

emsz
    Free Member

I giggled at the All Saints covering ‘Under the Bridge’, thinking it was a ‘really nice love song’. Er, no. It’s about scoring drugs. Under a bridge

to be fair to them*, they recorded it cos they liked the overall feel of the song.

Anyway the man himself has said the song is about loneliness and being emotionally drained and how his bandmates rescued him from that, it’s not just about drugs.

“I don’t ever want to feel like that” it’s about NOT wanting to be on drugs, not scoring them.

Oddly misunderstood lyrics…good title

*massive All Saints fan 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Oddly Misunderstood Songs’ is closed to new replies.