Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Odd/different children's names
  • sc-xc

My lad’s middle name is Sullivan – after Justin.

jekkyl

I met a Julie Goodenuff once, always wondered if she was.
    Also at work we had a customer called Mr sss hach eye tea (work it out) I kid ye not, that was his name, first name was Andrew so his name appeared as A S***. When one of my colleagues had to phone him we were all listening to see if he creased up, ‘hello is that Mr …..’ very odd.

I despair when I find out what family and/or friends call their kids, it’s like they’ve spent practically 5 minutes on the subject.
    ‘oh! you’ve called your child lily/isabell/jack that’ll be good then when they’re in class with 5 others of the same name’
    I’m too judgey maybe, the wife and I spent months over our daughters name, we did seperate lists and stuff and discussed it for ages.

hora
    Free Member

I named my son Zachary, then Elton John calls his son the same. For years people will think its vice versa 😐

davidjey
    Free Member

A Nigerian bloke I used to work with had two kids called Excellence and Peculiar. This was a few years ago and they were young then so they’ll be about secondary school age now. If they are still living in the UK I’m sure they’re having a GREAT time.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I think this occurred pre birth, so not awful, but could have been!

My mum used to be a district children’s nurse. One family she visited had a son which was the reason she was there. But she was also heavily pregnant. My mum asks if they have a name and they proudly stated “Chlamydia”. Apparently they decided on the name a while ago because it sounds pretty. They were completely ignorant of the real meaning of the word.

freeagent
    Free Member

My wife is a secondary school teacher, and also a Brownie leader.
    She’s had some good ones over the years,

A Girl called Crystal Doulton
    Several boys called ‘Dre’ at the moment
    A boy called Magik at the moment

djglover
    Free Member

Years ago a friend of my wife dated a bloke called Geoff Tremendous, that was his middle name ffs!

GrahamS

I’ve heard the same story ^ but it was immediately post-birth and they wanted to call their baby “Placenta” because they heard one of the mid-wives saying it and thought it sounded nice.

hora
    Free Member

How about Winston Lee Tor?

edhornby

I had a consultant look at my knee after an infection – her name was Dr Van Helsing !! she introduced herself and kept talking without taking a breath so that the funny joke interruption wasn’t an option

but my surname invoked many oh-so-hilarious jokes about trainsets that I would have empathised if she had brought it up first

I think that generally we are more diverse as a nation and that odd names don’t stand out as much

br
    Free Member

Our neighbours when we lived in Germany were Mr & Mrs ****, and here first name was Anya…

loum
    Free Member

Daughter’s name is Megan.
    Son on the way and wife’s current favourite is Christopher.
    Is this ok, and would I have to change my name to Peter?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cuddles nemesis …lovely ring to it

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Not a kid but…

Once at a job interview one of the interviewers wrote A Cock at the top of the sheet after the first few seconds, fuming I managed to get through the interview and even got the job, turns out his name was Andy Cock.

GrahamS

We know a “Dr Pepper” who once had a complaint made against him by “Mrs Salt” who thought he was taking the piss.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Oh yeah work with a bloke called Eggert Fruchtenicht, too. Now THATS a name.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Former work colleague who left last year

Shittu Shittu

everyone would attempt to pronounce the name in a soft way, or break it up as Shi ttu. He’d then soundly correct people that it was said as written.

Oh and went skiing with Jo Snowball a few years back. That was fun.

Oh and our maternity nurse said she’d had a newborn named “Tyranny” a while ago. Like a female Tyrone, apparently.

TM

zippykona

My friend christened his son Jack Richard Eagan. So that’s Jack R .Eagan . Jack Reagan .
    Not sure how long it was til his wife found out.
    Also worked with a girl who was called Della. After a training course her certificate went up in the office and that’s when we discovered her surname…Horniblow. The name didn’t fit sadly!

GrahamS

So that’s Jack R .Eagan . Jack Reagan .

Ronald Reagan’s dad? Bit obscure 😀

2tyred

Bobby Gillespie called his son Wolf. Totally brilliant.

drlex
    Free Member

Keep ’em coming – my colleague is just about to take Maternity leave, and looking for inspiration, having met a Thor and Electra at pre-natal classes last month.

(My youngest is not amused by her middle name of Rue, but it does greatly amuse my best friend’s French wife.)

razorrazoo

My first job was as a recruitment consultant, we had a Sandy Castle on the books.

duffmiver
    Free Member

Two brothers at my school were called Andrew and Peter Nurse.

Cougar

I used to work with a lad called Harsh Dave. First name Harsh, surname Dave. I never worked out whether that would be cool or a right pain.

We also had a Dongdong Smith, which is a fantastic pairing. I can only assume that’s a married name.

Cougar

Colleague has just told me she knows someone called TJ. It’s not short for anything, that’s his name.

(I wonder if… nah.)

molgrips
    Free Member

I knew an Indian guy at college, called (so I thought) VJ 🙂

I also knew a middle aged bloke called Thor, but then he was from Iceland. Very skinny, mild-mannered and inoffensive, which amused me 🙂

GrahamS

(I wonder if… nah.)

marco
    Free Member

Fella who used to drink in my Dads local – Johnny Rocket. He was American and a lecturer at Bradford Uni, really cool guy too.

Couple who ran a pub in Ripponden – Derek & Derika!

maccruiskeen

Elsie Dee and Ellie Dee.

I just made those ones up though.

Weird and wacky names aside, its interesting that people as less constrained when choosing names now. When I was a kid my class had four Steven / Stephens, four Andrews, two Nicholas’ six Nicolas, three Joannes, three Julies, three Sarahs, and so on – probably a pool of about 8 – 10 names for a class of 30. So we all knew each other by abbreviations of our surnames.

I recently ran a project in a primary school – a split year so 40 kids in my year group – and not one duplicate first name between them, but no weird and wacky names either.

Northwind

Spoke to a chap called Ragina Sexwhale a while back.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a colleague who knows a woman who called her daughter Le-a, as in Ledasha, even thought ‘Ledasha’ isn’t a name as far as I know.

RustySpanner

As teenagers my mate Eamonn had a girlfriend called Leigh Pover.

She must have really, really hated her parents.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Forgot these, my Spin teacher is called Nadia Fantastico.

we used to to have an accountant in work called Gaylor Dron

Apparently there is (according to QI) an American politician called Randy Bumgardner!

crankboy
    Free Member

My friend has two children a boy Sam and a girl Ella.
    You don’t see any thing odd until you shout for them or ask after them .
    ” how’s Sam an’ Ella .”

duntstick
    Free Member

Randy Bumgardner

😆

rob2
    Free Member

My daughter is called Thomasin after Thomasin Yeobright in Return of the Native.

In her class there are two Xanthe’s. One mum chose it as she wanted a unique name, how annoyed must she be?!

RoterStern
    Free Member

When I was a student in Brum a friend told me about his friend calling his daughter Notsa. He was a Villa fan. Another good friend’s cousin, who’s a car mechanic, called his daughter Caprina.

br
    Free Member

Nope, none get near these – been saving them up.

My wife was at school with a (West Indian) brother and sister with the surname of Dick.

Everhard and Afelia…

bearnecessities

I knew both a:

Dicken Hares
    Chris Peacock.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Odd/different children's names’ is closed to new replies.