Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Oddball, out-there, crazy-tough endurance races and events in the world…
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

…making a bit of a list.
    what’s out there that I might not know about?
    tell me what you know about!

cheers.

eltonerino
    Free Member

Saw these two blokes riding in a weird recumbent, in pools of there own piss for 24 hours. You could try that 😉

Bregante

Or someone else’s piss to add an extra dimension

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

‘World bike race with a few hours rest for a massage half way through record’ wasn’t it?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Saw this a couple of days ago.

Don’t know much about it, but the daily climbing stats look fairly daunting for a week-long stage race.

Shred
    Free Member

Salzkammergut Trophy

I’m entered for the A route next year. MTB, 211km, 7000m climbing in a single day in Austria.

darrell
    Free Member

done the Salzkammergut in 2004. Frak me it was hard

but brilliant

pete68
    Free Member

Transcontinental? 4000km across Europe?

kilo

I know a couple of decent racers who said Joburg2C was quite tough, according to the organisers write up this year was good as “fractures were down but corneal abbrasions were up…” 😮

bigbeard
    Free Member

The Salzkammergut Trophy makes the Kielder 100 look easy! (but probably with less mud)

Any idea what sort of percentage it is on road / off road?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Paris-Brest-Paris is next year, it’s a 1200km audax from Paris to Brest and back.
    You’ll have to fit in some qualifying rides before hand though

http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/

Shred
    Free Member

I was entered into the First Joburg2c but couldn’t go due to the ash clouds from the [unpronounceable] volcano.
    My mate did it and said it is a really good ride.
    The first 3 days are pretty flat and gravel roads, then 3 days across the Drakensburg mountains, then 3 days down to the sea on the Natal coast.

It is something I want to do, but when the kids are a bit older and I have more time.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Cheers. Keep em coming please…

richardk
    Free Member

The total distance is 75 kilometres of which 10 km are swimming and 65 km are running.

Crazy Swedes

wanmankylung
    Free Member

http://www.northsea-cycle.com/ It doesnt have an annual race on it but it probably should have.

jameso

An ITT on one of the longer BP courses? No one but yourself to motivate you, no event status for ego or focus. Have a look at the HLC in Israel, that’s easy to get to and said to equal or top the AZT750. Amazing riding and hard enough when ridden with friends.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Marathon des sables. Ooft.

willard
    DavidB
    Free Member

This year’s Bearbones 200

hofnar
    Free Member

Joberg 2C is a ride/race that Tom dick and Harry with a beerbelly and hangover can finish. the drakensberg region is stunning views wise but its not that hard. Its nice but aimed at the corpored market after Sani2C always filled up too quick.

If you want to have some hardcore (South) African cycling. Have a look for RASA(race across South Africa) aka freedom Challenge. And try to get close to the womans record from around 13 days another level of suffering that is. As some oddball seven summiter that I met and did it says boys ride the epic men do the freedom challenge. You even get a free Pizza at the finish.

kilo

hofnar – Member

Joberg 2C is a ride/race that Tom dick and Harry with a beerbelly and hangover can finish. the drakensberg region is stunning views wise but its not that hard. Its nice but aimed at the corpored market after Sani2C always filled up too quick.

You are completely correct, I read this and suddenly thought DOH!I meant the Cape Epic not Joburg2c (the mrs has been pestering me to do J2C and I don’t fancy it which is why it had stuck in my mind) 😳

Duffer
    Free Member

Biking only? Or do other events (like rurnning) count?

Are we’re talking biking only, then the Tour Divide springs to mind pretty quickly. Also the Iditarod has bikers.

When you’re talking about running, you’ve got hundreds; Spartathalon (246km in Greece), Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (Around 168 km and 9600 m of positive altitude change in the Alps), the Grand Union Canal race (145 miles from Birmingham to London)…

ontor
    Free Member
    IA

L’ultra raid de la Meije?

Record time is just over 9hrs, but that’s if you’re fast enough to bother world cup podiums…

Maybe not endurance enough for you? Covers some ace trails mind (i’ve ridden some) and you warm up with the Galibier before sunrise…

kcr
    Free Member
    matt_bl
    Free Member

Bob Graham Round, the fell-runners ‘impossible’ challenge of choice. People spend years preparing/training for it.

Matt

Duffer
    Free Member

Yeah, i forgot about the Bob Graham!

There are some ace books around on this subject; ‘Running and Stuff’, ‘Eat and Run’, ‘Feet in the Clouds’ ‘Survival of the Fittest’ and ‘Born to Run’ all spring to mind!

hegdehog
    Free Member

http://theyakattack.com/

The Alpac Attack looks quite testing & could make for a great adventure (& some good tv)… 😉

nickdavies

Hoping to enter the Grand Raid next year, although probably not quite tough enough compared to other suggestions as the top guys get round in 6h. There’s also the tour du mont blanc, road based but still nuts…. 330km and 8000m of climbing in one day…

Northwind

Something a bit different, Race The Night at Sammerung?

crazy-legs

Crocodile Trophy.
    http://www.crocodile-trophy.com

MTB stage race across the Outback.

jekkyl

Organise your own? Then get all the mad out there challenge cyclists off of here to join up.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Posting so I can keep an eye on the thread!

Would love to TransContinental but reckon the Mrs would have a fit if I asked, might mention the Highland Trail 550 to her and see about a pass…

What about the England-Wales-England, http://www.aidanharding.com/ewe/

happybiker
    Free Member

Joburg2C is great fun and the scenery, especially the last 6 days is amazing, never mind the incredible food! It’s not that hard, I did it with very little training and really enjoyed it. Cape Epic is a lot less fun and more competitive from what I’ve heard, those who have done both say the former is a better experience.

http://lesothosky.com/2014-route/ this looks like fun, otherwise the Freedom Challenge is another good one. I’m looking to do a European one next year…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Oddball, out-there, crazy-tough endurance races and events in the world…’ is closed to new replies.