Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Odd Superstitions
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

I like to think I'm a rational man. I place my faith in science not religion. Having said that, I always put my left shoes on before my right one. Socks too.

My girlfriend salutes Magpies, but she's less of a hard-line rationalist than I am.

What odd things do you do?

BlingBling
    Free Member

Always pot the pink before the brown.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

That's sound advice, rather than a superstition though ;o)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

I think any superstitions are mental. The odd things I do are down to my doing things on automatic, I can check if I left the cooker on 4 times before I leave the flat. Then I'll get 10 miles away and have to turn around because I never checked if I turned the iron off because I was so busy checking the cooker.

Theres only one thing I find an odd coincidence. I have a fluffy bat (the flying type) that lives in my car. Whenever it has been taken from my car (for washing) I've almost had an accident. So when it's being washed I generally drive more carefully. Very odd, nothing superstitious about it, but I do wonder if I notice it's gone and dont watch the road quite so much.

enfht
    Free Member

Never leave your car parked in Liverpool?

mtbfix

I salute magpies too. And I have the irrational feeling that any bike welded together by some guy in the UK or US will be somehow better than the same thing coming from the Far East.

surfer
    Free Member

Never leave your car parked in Liverpool?

May be slightly impractical for some! Also not really a superstition is it?

nickc

The dining room door HAS to be open when I'm in the room, and it HAS to be closed when I'm not.

I don't go in for weird shite, but there's something not quite 'right' about that room.

Keva
    Free Member

it's all superstitious mumbo jumbo if you ask me. Load of rubbish.

maxray
    Free Member

The magpie thing is catching, I never used to do it but my other half does and I find myself doing it now 🙁

Always say hello to the fairies when I go over the Fairy Bridge on the Isle of Man too!

noteeth
    Free Member

I always tap my helmet after putting it on… but not for any reason I can readily explain.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Have to kiss my cats goodbye 9 times + 1 for luck before I leave for work each morning. Absolutely no idea why.

VanHalen

3 drain cover rule.

i know its stupid, but the missus has got me into it.

VanHalen

double post.

nbt

The odd things I do are down to my doing things on automatic, I can check if I left the cooker on 4 times before I leave the flat. Then I'll get 10 miles away and have to turn around because I never checked if I turned the iron off because I was so busy checking the cooker.

that's OCD, not an odd superstition

tails
    Free Member

😯

Have to kiss my cats goodbye 9 times + 1 for luck before I leave for work each morning

😯

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

All superstition is a load of crap, but I must admit to always wanting to see 'two magpies for joy' although every other superstition means nothing to me (including the saluting magpies one).

But then, the day we were waiting for the call from the hospital after our first course of IVF, I saw one magpie (for sorrow) and was convinced we would get bad news.

It turned out we were pregnant with our (now 7 week old) twins.

So I now choose to stop obsessing about that one too. 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

@ tails
    Like I said, I have no idea why. Has just become a habit i suppose. Not bothered about ladders, magpies etc but I do get a bit uncomfortable if I haven't done the above. Maybe i'm just odd. 🙄

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

My girlfriend has to touch the fridge four times before she leaves the house.

Weird I know!

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I remember a Viz letter a while ago. Something along the lines of "Why don't the NHS employ loads of OCD nurses? Their obsessive handwashing would get rid of hospital infections in no time"

Olly
    Free Member

if anyone DAREs utter "just one more time" while out on a bike (repeating a section, jump or somat, sessioning i suppose the kids call it)…

…its time to go home. instantly. the "one more time" doesnt happen at ANY cost.

its the law!

also, never comment on how you havent had a puncture in aaaaages,

generally touch wood when making comment along the lines of "ive never had a single problem with my….<insert component name here>"

z1ppy

lots of OCD on this thread, go seek counciling ppl…. the only superstition I pay attention to to in not walking under ladders, only in case something drops on my head though… bugger all to do with 'bad luck'.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The never walk under ladders has an element of sense to it too – I don't want paint/windowlene/masonry falling on my head thanks.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It's not a superstition, but..
    when I was little, about 8, my school went to the swimming baths once a week, and most of us just made our own way the baths, it not being that far from school.
    part of the route involved a pedestrian underpass, and I used to run through and jump to try and touch the roof.
    At about 11, I made it, and got such a buzz.
    But at 11, I moved to secondary school and didn't go that way as often.
    Nevertheless, every time I went through the underpass, i ran and touched the roof and got a buzz.
    But I kept growing, and before long, i could touch the roof without running, then without jumping, but i did it anyway.
    At about 24 or 25 I was walking through the tunnel with a mate and reached up and touced the roof. he asked why, I told him, he told me I was weird. Next time, with other mates, i realised this was something i did so should stop, so, decided to MTFU, and resisted touching the roof. But it was wrong, so i had to mumble something about catching up, went back, touched the roof, everything ok. Felt such a d1ck explaining why.
    At 45, still doing it.
    I'd still be doing it today if the underpass hadn't been filled in a year or two ago.

julianwilson
    Free Member

When out with downhill bikes, we have a 'three more runs' rule for the last run of the day.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke later today …

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

😆

Drac

Bunch of **** freaks.

Olly
    Free Member

trying to cheat the system julian, treading a dangerous line…. 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

I never, ever mention unplanned tyre deflations when on a ride.

Shack
    Free Member

Rainbows, **king hate them, always a sign of impending doom in my life. Double & triple rainbows even worse, just get off the bike and walk slowly!

molgrips
    Free Member

Bigbloke, I thought your punchline was that you jumped up to touch the ceiling and smacked your head on it due to being taller than when you were 11 🙂

CountZero

I always say 'hello Magpie', when I see any, and 'E I P G A M', (Magpie spelled backwards), when I see only one. Yes, it's mad, nuts, deranged, etc, according to some on here, but I really don't much give a sh1t what they think. So there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I go a bit mad when I see someone about to kill a spider telling them it's bad luck when really, I just love spiders and hate seeing anybody killing them.

I have never seen my side losing at the millenium stadium, footie or rugby and believe I never will (though won't be seeing much footie there anymore).

theotherjonv

jeez, you magpie types are amateurs.

My mum always says that one magpie is bad luck, but only if you're the only one that sees it. If two people see one magpie at the same time, the magpie luck is negated [are you with me so far].

The problem is that if you point out the magpie to someone in order that they see it, then the bad luck is now on both those people unless a third person sees it concurrently, but of course without being directed to it. And so on…..

When i used to live at home, often she'd call me to come into the kitchen and then just make inane conversation for as long as it would take me to spot the magpie.

I miss being at home sometimes.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Odd Superstitions’ is closed to new replies.