Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Odd steering behaviour
  • johndoh
    Free Member

10 yr old Mazda 3 – when I steer from left to right there is a ‘ripple’ as it does it again (more subtly) once I have straightened the wheel.

Tyres are at correct PSI and a faulty component on the steering was replaced at the last MOT (a bush arm or something like that). They said the other side didn’t need doing so only one side was replaced.

So – is it likely to be the other arm that has now failed or some stupidly expensive problem with the whole steering set up? Or suspension?

globalti
    Free Member

Steering and suspension parts should be replaced in pairs because they often fail in pairs and even if they don’t, I wouldn’t want them mis-matched.

johndoh
    Free Member

Steering and suspension parts should be replaced in pairs

Is what I was thinking. I couldn’t say if this behaviour has changed *since* changing one side as it’s a car I don’t drive often but yesterday I did a long motorway run in it so it became noticeable.

Ordinarily it only gets driven to and from school and around town and very rarely at speed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    craigxxl
    Free Member

Tyre wear due to the faulty component that you had changed. Try changing front and rear tyres over to see if problem goes.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah tyres are due to be replaced soon anyway so I will see if that improves anything.

maccruiskeen

I had a similar thing in van of mine – turned out knuckle in the steering column where it bends to meet the steering rack just needed a bit of grease

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

There seems to be a pattern here…

johndoh
    Free Member

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Both your cars seem to be suffering steering problems/ odd tyre wear…

johndoh
    Free Member

Ahh get you.

With the first one (the Audi) it wasn’t at all expected, however with our knackered old Mazda much more so…

Stoner
    Free Member

What macc said.
    Check all universal linkages in the steering column are lubricated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Odd steering behaviour’ is closed to new replies.