Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Odd sports you HAVE done
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not especially odd, but:

I did a couple of solo paragliding flights off a small mountain in North Wales. It was a bit hair raising as I was guessing how to do it. The first flight I managed to stall and fell some way before it re-opened, fortunately still high above the ground! I got land rover-ed back up and the second go was actually enjoyable. I even managed to land nicely in a field next to the dual carriageway. Probably wouldn’t do again though.

I had a go at land-boarding with a power kite, as I’m reasonably handy with biggish kites. It was not great though as I hurt the tendons in my knee when I got dragged over. Wouldn’t attempt again.

soobalias
    Free Member

korfball

uwe-r
    Free Member

I spent an afternoon on a longboard (skateboard) in the Alps. You get to a point where you are going to fast to turn (turning sharpish is the only method of slowing) and you just have to keep going until you get to a flat bit of road to slow down. Very scary and I never did it again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

…actually I’ve done quite a variety of odd sports:

roller hockey
    punt jousting
    roller skiing

edd

I’m an amateur jockey in the winter, point-to-point racing. Properly good fun.

joolzed
    Free Member

Bob Skeleton – headfirst, downhill on a tea tray at 90mph+
    Could have been a contender, if only I didn’t need to sink a pint or two before I could face launching myself from the top ;0)

woody2000

You see, I knew there’d be some real oddball stuff 🙂

OmarLittle
    Free Member

i was a pro water polo player for a couple of years. By pro i mean getting accomodation, equipment and food etc paid for nothing extravagent! Sort of how i imagine prison to be like

Nobby

Hydrospeeding. Once. Never, ever again.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

My mate Dave persuaded me to go snowkiting in Norway for a holiday a few years back. Think snowboarding fused with kitesurfing on a frozen lake in the middle of nowhere in Norwegian winter. Awesome and scary. But not as awesome as the youth hostel sandwiches (what is it about foreign packed lunches?) and not as scary as driving around in the blizzards.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

*puts hand up*

Its not a sport, but one of my more esoteric hobbies is campanology.

rkk01
    Free Member

Found this on the net…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FeeamC4qk[/video]

morgs
    Free Member

I practice Iaido….its a martial art but wouldn’t class it as a sport as its all kata’s….but I get to play with my sword* 😀

*my real sword you filthy, filthy people

cr500dom
    Free Member

Windsurfing for quite a while (Hoping to get back into it shortly)

Played Petanque (French Boules) at county level as a Teen

10 pin bowling in a Local league more recently

EDIT: Played Street hockey as well in my teens (roller Hockey on tarmac with Ice hockey sticks)

vinnyeh

The anarchy that was (whitewater) raft racing on a ski field as part of a winter festival in NZ.
    Half a dozen people in a raft attempting to control themselves on snow and ice with paddles…

In hindsight this was a pretty stupid event, and I don’t think it’s been repeated.

Riversurfing is ace fun, having your head at water level with the visibility limitations, instead of above it as you do in a raft makes for a pretty intense experience.

crispo
    Free Member

Dry ski slope racing.

rusty90
    Free Member

I once took part in the Hallaton bottle-kicking, in which two Rutland villages fight over 3 beer barrels, with lots of the old ultraviolence. The only rules are no eye-gouging, no strangling and no weapons. Someone kicked me in the nuts 10 minutes after the start and I never got nearer than 100 yards to the ‘bottle’.

meesterbond

Tried Mountain Boarding a few times… that really hurt.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Played a few rounds of frisbee golf when hanging out in the mountains in North Carolina. Bizarrely my local park here has a frisbee golf course set out, with proper chain basket ‘holes’. Only seen it used once, by a couple of guys who each had a whole quiver of frisbees, just like a set of clubs I guess.

At one school we used to play a game called Kingpin. Played with a tennis ball and hands (rather than raquets) with 6 players in a 2×3 grid, marked King, Queen, Jack, Dunce, Dunce 1, Dunce 2. King served, then players smack the ball about like 6way tennis – ball had to bounce once in your square then into someones else’s. If you messed up you went down to Dunce 2 and everyone moved up one. No winner, object was just to get up to King and stay there as long as possible. Never met anyone who wasn’t from that school who had played it.

MussEd
    Free Member

Shinty…bound to loads of highlanders on here though so probably not unusual… Musselburgh strictly speaking isn’t a camanachd hotbead but me and some mates who’d played at Uni started a team in mid 90s…got to a final in our first year! Highlight for me was slotting the penalty to take us into the final…lost interest when a kinobber with an unhealthy interest in Braveheart joined and tried to make everyone learn Gaelic. (think he was from Glenrothes!)

richmars

Shinty…bound to loads of highlanders on here though so probably not unusual

Yes, but I played it at our school in Cambridgeshire.

jcromton
    Free Member

There’s an underwater hockey club here in Oban, octopush is a name for it I believe. Incredible sport to play, you basically hold your breath for an hour moving a puck about on the bottom of the pool with a stick.

Chris

suthy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs8ObiRIGhc[/video]

I spend more time paramotoring than cycling at the moment.

binners

At school we invented our own martial art called Wacky-Fucky. It was incredibly violent and largely pointless. As the teachers pointed out at the time, there were no real winners 😕

vinnyeh – only in NZ could they come up with anything as utterly mental as River Surfing. Great fun! interspersed with utterly life-threatening terror

epicsteve
    Free Member

Nothing particularily unusual for me:
    – Shot small-bore for the university team
    – Played chess for the uni and to a regional level as a schoolboy
    – Athletics (hurdles and long-jump) to a regional level as a schoolboy

I used to be quite good at most sports I tried so did a lot of them to school-team level (footie, badminton, basketball, swimming etc) and even held a few school records. Amazing to look back on it considering how crap I am at sports now!

AlasdairMc

There’s an underwater hockey club here in Oban, octopush is a name for it I believe. Incredible sport to play, you basically hold your breath for an hour moving a puck about on the bottom of the pool with a stick.

I used to do that, it makes swimming interesting.

Sawyer
    Free Member

I played “Rock-it-ball” at uni for my hall once. Not convinced of its status as sport though.

Done karate for 8.5 years now, but that’s not that odd/unusual.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I play bike-polo. It would be much nicer if it wasn’t so niche and people realised it wasn’t JUST for hipsters.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I played roller hockey to a regional level at about 14-15 years old. Not sure if its what aracer is talking about though. I play the one referred to as “rink hockey” in the EU on quad skates and a stack that is the same as REALLY old field hockey sticks. Good fun, nobody cries about getting hurt like in football.

expiscator
    Free Member

Zorbing
    Kayaking down a mountain in 3 foot of powder
    Land yachting
    Snurfing
    Speed Riding

…and then theres the drunk ones.

gusamc
    Free Member

done octopush, played motoball (5 a side footie on converted motorbikes), currently play floorball/innebandy and represented my university at pinball and dirty scrabble

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Water Polo and comp safari(might have to buy a Bowler tomcat for next year’s season ) when I’m in the UK

When I’m in the US:
    Practical rifle/shotgun/pistol.
    Cowtipping.
    Street and pro Street Drag Racing.
    and Comp Safari again.

oldgit
    Free Member

**** Just remembered

I did banger racing as a schoolboy for a few years. The outfit was called the Ahern Rats. We raced White City! Upton Park, somewhere in Essex I can’t recall the name – Rayleigh? and Boxmoor on a grass track.
    One of the familes Skip hire business was the base for it.

samuri
    Free Member

Who’s hiding a secret lacrosse career?

/Waves.

I played for quite a succesful team for a few years when I was 15/16. I was rubbish though. That game can turn very violent, very quickly.

crazy-legs

Fives for me as well, it was about the only sport at school I was any good at (apart from long distance running). I was one of those poor unfortunates who was always picked last for football but I was bloody good at Fives! 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We all played a game similar to fives in Ireland…in a squash court type thing – but called it handball. There used to be loads of three walled courts at crossroads all over the country – I assume they’ve been knocked down and have a half-built house on them these days.

skiboy
    Free Member

barefoot waterskiing during the first half of the 90’s and wakeboarding from the early days in ’89 up until 2005,

barefooting qualifies for a bit different wakeboarding clearly does not unless you had the original ‘skirf’ board to learn on !!!, i still have a 1993 shapiro hyperlite wakeboard that i can’t bring myself to sell,

andrewh
    Free Member

Any Cooper’s Hill Cheese Rolling runners here?

ME!!!

Did it in 2009 (I think, maybe 2008?) Anyway, the last year before it was banned. I know some locals have carried it on unofficially since. Oddly enough it was spectator casualties that resulted in the H&S people taking a dislike to it.

Not as bad as it looks here in reality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKe4EkuhMYE&feature=related

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve played unicycle hockey in the UK league. Sort of like roller hockey, a lot more sensible than bike polo as unicycles are way more manouvrable.

Oh and white water swimming, although not sure if that is a sport really, more just a pastime.

hooja
    Free Member

play petanque every day, mon to fri. To see who has to make tea at afternoon break, i made tea today…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Odd sports you HAVE done’ is closed to new replies.