Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Odd Radiator sizes
  • verses

I’m looking to replace an old radiator but it’s an odd size.

The existing one is 950mm, but all new ones seem to be 900mm or 1000mm. I’ve seen radiator extender tails, presumably these are designed to fix this problem…

Is it just a matter of sticking a 25mm one on each end of a 900mm rad instead of normal tails? Or do they attach to normal tails?

Any tips for working out what I need? Preferably tips that don’t involve redoing the pipework! 🙂

verses

Exhibit A

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p65625?mkwid=sT9mE2VOZ_dt&pcrid=163419364526&pkw=&pmt=&product=65625&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwoLHBRDD0beVheu3lt0BEiQA

I’ve seen telescopic extending valves too, but I can’t imagine they’re as leak-proof as a solid pipe…

petrieboy

Possibly metric sized rads. My house is full of them and it’s a pain in the rear! Extensions above sort it tho.

Dirtytwister
    neilnevill
    Free Member

the telescopic tails work so long as the connection is straight, but they won’t tolerate any misalignment.

senorj

I have one which was bodged with a threaded nipple between the valve and radiator . It isn’t in a particularly visible position .
    Whenever I see it, I wish I’d done it properly .

gears_suck
    Free Member

Change the pipe work. Anyone can bodge a job. Why not do it right? It’s your own house FFS.

verses

Change the pipe work. Anyone can bodge a job. Why not do it right? It’s your own house FFS.

1) Didn’t realise it’s considered a bodge.
    2) Prefer to avoid draining the system if possible.
    3) It’s only for the spare room, so not too worried if it looks less than perfect. I thought a 1″ spacer either side of the rad would be barely noticeable, although I guess it does give an extra connection with potential to leak.

supremebean
    Free Member

These extensions are best, non adjustable so no moving parts. Can be cut to length easily.

https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/radiators/valves-and-accessories/valve-extensions

Won’t work with flange type lockshield valves though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Odd Radiator sizes’ is closed to new replies.