• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gee.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Odd occurrence (well, to the untrained mechanic in me anyway)
  • tmb467
    Free Member

Put bottom bracket in (HT2) with mrp chain guide fitted (bb attachment)

Push axle through BB and attach NDS crank…all nice and snug

Tighten up the bit on the NDS to preload the bearings and then tighten the screws on the crank

All nice and tight with no play yet after a ride there is play in the axle – I can slide it side to side by a few mm. Dont think I need any washers but can’t explain why something that was tight can loosen off, especially since the nDs crank should be holding the tension on the bearings

Btw, it’s Enduro bearings in a HT2 set of cups but that shouldn’t cause a problem, should it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

you generally want to be giving the DS arm a chap with the rubber mallet to ensure every thing is fully home or what you describe can happen – you shouldnt be torquing the NDS axel bolt enough to pull it together if its not fully home as the tollerances can be quite tight and will result in overload on the bearign . – riding on the other hand can make it all bed in 😀

tmb467
    Free Member

Hmm – I’d thought I HAD got it through

I had thought that perhaps the chain guide wasn’t the same size as the BB washer it replaced – so the DS cup was further in than it used to be. This would then introduce space that hasn’t been there before

Ill have another look – but cheers for the advice

Rscott
    Free Member

What size bb do you have 68-73/8 whatever it is

if its a 68mm you may still need a bb washer on there as well as your chain device.

takisawa2

Or, you’ve not enough spacers on one side, & the NDS crank is riding up the run-out on the splines. Tightens ok but under weight & pedalling load its coming back off again.
    Or, the NDS crank has been overtightened at some point & two halves have been stretched, so that the won’t tighten up under the pinch bolt pressure.

tmb467
    Free Member

It’s a 73mm axle so only had the 2.5mm washer on DS

This was replaced by the CD – never had washers on NDS.

Ill check for signs of slippage on splines – dont think its a tightening issue but if it is I presume I’ll need a new NDS crank? Cheers

gee
    Free Member

Just tighten it up properly and it’ll be fine. You probably just needed to give it a bit more of a shove when you fitted it.

GB

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Odd occurrence (well, to the untrained mechanic in me anyway)’ is closed to new replies.