Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Odd facts learned this week
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

some mammals lay eggs – they are called Monotremes only 5 of them- duck-billed platypus and 4 typs of echidnas.

Greyhound is nearly correct

zero to top speed in 6 strides taking just under 2 seconds still impressive mind

redthunder
    Free Member

Deer hair snaps

Boars hair bends

Thats how you tell the difference.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I cannot jump across pits on my bike.

roper
    Free Member

Dr Stremnam, the man who is recognised as the inventor of the rocket, had little fingers longer than all the other digits on each hand. It’s not that the other’s were shorter just that his little fingers were longer.

kevonakona
    Free Member

THat i can do teh “teh” thing instead of the “the”. Actually i know this already and it is the only thing that i habitualy spell wrong. Can’t help it it just happens.

Oh and that 6 pints of Deuchar’s IPA make you stagger down teh water o’ leith walkway.

odannyboy
    Free Member

so i was told…(and im sure there’s plenty of people on here to put me right..)..there no word in welsh for brown.it exixts in english but not the welsh language.

so i was told.

scaredypants

Thomas Crapper did not, in fact, invent the modern bog though he did draw up the original plans for the Rover 25

finbar
    Free Member

finbar – that can’t be right, sorry. Got a source?

EDIT: The greyhound thing I mean

Funnily enough, i heard it on a Radio 4 program this very week which was entirely about useless trivia. It was on yesterday afternoon – well worth a listen.

igm

All facts on STW are in fact true

ronjeremy
    Free Member

On the STW Classifieds selling 2 items together is classed as a huge clearout

woody2000

finbar – that’s where my Bernard Manning fact came from 🙂

Must’ve missed the greyhound one – sounds like they might have stretched the truth a bit 🙂

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Hugo Boss designed the uniforms for the SS.

WTF
    Free Member

Gullible is the only word used in the English language not to appear in the dictionary.

bassspine
    Free Member

My dad was stationed in Spandau prison in the early 1960’s, and may therefore have met Bernard Manning. He never talked about it when ‘Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club’ was on though.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Steam trains where invented about 30 years before pedal powered bicycles.

WTF
    Free Member

The fax machine was invented before the telephone was invented.

Davy
    Free Member

84% of respondants on this thread have watched re-runs of QI on Dave in the last week.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Steam trains where invented about 30 years before pedal powered bicycles.

A bit more than that I believe. Trevithick’s locomotive 1804. The Penny Farthing 1871. No ? Or was there something before the Penny Farthing ?

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

I’m irresistable to women,
    they just haven’t realised yet!!

WTF
    Free Member

A bit more than that I believe. Trevithick’s locomotive 1804. The Penny Farthing 1871. No ? Or was there something before the Penny Farthing ?

Kirkpatrick Macmillan invented the first pedal bike in 1839 ,so I am led to believe everytime I visit Drumlanrig.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

‘Kirkpatrick Macmillan invented the first pedal bike in 1839’

Is an odd fact which I learned this week.

:mrgreen:

skidartist
    Free Member

I actually think someone else beat Macmillan to it by a few years – but I forget who it is now, I was in the transport museum in glasgow trying to sober up.

Gullible is the only word used in the English language not to appear in the dictionary.

Theres not point telling some gullible that the word gullible isn’t in the dictionary, because they won’t look, they’ll just take your word for it. “Skeptic” isn’t in the dictionary though.

RustySpanner

Maggie Thatcher was part of the team at Lyons that came up with ‘Mr Whippy’ aerated ice cream, thus selling less for more and increasing the profit margins of the evil ice cream producing bourgeoisie at the expense of the overheated working classes. 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It’s not as good an idea as you might think at the time to try and “improve” your wireless connectivity at the same time as opening a second bottle of wine.

sssimon
    Free Member

whyte 19 carbon races in large are hard to find

pitduck
    Free Member

did you know 141% of all statistic’s are made up!

AlasdairMc

Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously

BigJohn

A mongoose is a duck with eiderdown syndrome.

nicko74

I learned this weekend that Bernie Mac, of Ocean’s 11, 12, 13, his own show and numerous other vehicles, died last year. I did not know that.

I also learned (but not this week) that pistachios are classified as dangerous cargo – if you have sufficient of them together, they may spontaneously combust, and will release carbon dioxide. Very strange

zarquon
    Free Member

elephants are the only mammal to have a prehensile penis…

samuri
    Free Member

According to the Kinsey Institute, the biggest erect penis on record measures 13 inches. The smallest tops off at 1 3/4 inches.

zarquon
    Free Member

but they all had minds of their own

DezB
    Free Member

The smallest tops off at 1 3/4 inches.

Yeah, keep that ruler away from me.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I learned this:

“practice” is the noun, “practise” the verb

I always assumed that “practise” was just another americanism creeping into everyday use.

BigJohn

Yes WackoAK, just like licence and license.

The only way I can remember is the frankly awful “you can’t see a verb but you can C a noun”

Pook

Come Together by The Beatles was actually about the beatles themselves.

holy roller – George
    ono sideboards – John
    got to be good looking cos he’s so hard to see – Ringo
    he say i know you, you know me – Paul

Read it in a book.

Flaperon

A giraffe can clean out its ears with its own tongue.

Flaperon

I clicked once, dammit!

silverpigeon
    Free Member

The smallest consecrated church in the world is just around the corner from my house

Flaperon

The universal gravity constant G is 6.67E-11 to three significant figures. Taking this and the distance of the sun from the earth into account you are about 100g heavier at night than at midday.

Curious Orange… I’m going to have to dig out the calculator for this tomorrow but I can’t see how it could be true. Do you have a source?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Odd facts learned this week’ is closed to new replies.