Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • odd chain question
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Does a chain have an inside and an outside face in respect of it’s circumference as opposed to its orientation to the frame?

I just serviced my commuter SS and now there is the odd clunk/click from the drivetrain which Im sure is the chain/sprocket interface. I didnt pay any attention to whether I fitted the chain inside out or not.

Does a chain (especially an SS one) like to be kept in the same orientation to the sprocket and not turned inside out or do the pin rollers take care of it?

tthew

I think some of those new fangled 10 speed ones do. Your’s could be due to uneven wear perhaps?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

more likly that is one tooth out. the wear shows up mainly in the “outer” links not the “inner” ones Only applicable to SS setups with even numbered toothed chainwheels / sprockets

Stoner
    Free Member

Your’s could be due to uneven wear perhaps

almost certainly but what is wearign on the chain? are the pins being bent in a particular way and then when on the other way round they are no longer consistent with the tooth direction, but the rollers cant compensate for that?

Stoner
    Free Member

Aha. very good point TJ. Maybe chain needs off setting a tooth.

As its my commuter it gets honked on every week for 18 months between services. BMX chain means not having to change it. So not insignificant wear differences are inevitbale.

tthew

Erm, I had to draw a little pic to get this straight in my head, so if my description is confusing, sorry. May well also be plain wrong 😀

Chain wear between the back of the hole in the inner link and the pin. When reversed, the wear is now on the un-tensioned side, which would have the effect of taking out any chain ‘stretch’

possibly.
    maybe.
    ??

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting point re. even numbered cogs and sprockets.

TJ…I thought the wear was on the insides of the rollers, the pins and the flange (probably the wrong word!) of the inner links? How do the outer links wear?

rootes1

def have to fit this type of chain the right way round!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘odd chain question’ is closed to new replies.