Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Odd cars to carry bikes on
  • ezzybee
    Free Member

Just back from holiday where I saw late model Porsche 911 with 2 bikes on a strap on bike rack, which I thought seemed a strange way to treat a nice car (I`ve never been able to use one without scratching my car ). Have any of you seen any other examples?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Had one on my mx5

miketually
    Free Member

At least one forum member drives a Porsche, but he does use a roof rack rather than a strap-on.

*sniggers at strap-on*

Hairychested
    Free Member

A woman came to our shop last Friday asking for a rack to fit her car. What car do you drive? I asked. Yellow. It's outside. She replied. I walked out of the shop only to see a yellow Lambo parked at the bus stop. Couldn't help the poor thing, sadly.

Simon

Saw a bloke at Drumlanrig last month with a bike mounted on the back of his scooter on a homemade wooden rack.
    He said he wasn't sure if it was legal to use on the road so he kept to the back roads!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I bought an old pick up a couple of weeks back just so I didn't have to strap bikes to the Merc. Probably cheaper than getting the dents and scratches taken out of the nice car.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I bought an old pick up a couple of weeks back just so I didn't have to strap bikes to the Merc. Probably cheaper than getting the dents and scratches taken out of the nice car.

BBB- I bet you've waited your whole life to nonchalantley drop that one in? 😉

stever
    Free Member

There's someone round here with a big DH bike on the back of a Smart car. That looks quite funny.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

A smart car with two bikes on the back looks as though it's going to tip over backwards.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Hairychested – Member

A woman came to our shop last Friday asking for a rack to fit her car. What car do you drive? I asked. Yellow. It's outside. She replied. I walked out of the shop only to see a yellow Lambo parked at the bus stop. Couldn't help the poor thing, sadly.

Wow the pretty much sounds like the epitome of someone who has bucket loads stupidity, selfishness and more money than sense.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I saw a smart car with a bike sticking out of the back so that the rear wheel was in contact with the road and forks attached to a mount inside the car.

richmtb

I've seen a Porsche Cayman at Glentress with a roof rack on it, best one had to be a guy in the car park at Dales Cycles getting a rack fitted to his Aston Martin

LHS
    Free Member

I have had bike racks on a Porsche, Elise and VX220. If you get a decent rack then you will always avoid scratches etc.

meehaja
    Free Member

slightly off topic, bu i saw a guy with a canadian canoe on the roof of his smart car. He had a letter from his local police station saying that it was safe, he got pulled over 6 times driving from london to teeside!

Pook

would towing a bike, as you would a caravan, knacker the bearings in the rear wheel?

oddjob
    Free Member

I have seen a Prosche Boxter convertable with a bike on the roof at a triathlon. There was a pair of alloy rail that went from the screen to the rear of the car and then a couple of cross members which the rack was attsached to.

My thought was really that if you want to take a bike, then you bought the wrong car…

Having said that my dad can put his road bike behind the seats of their BMW Z3 with the roof down – no probs

Surfr
    Free Member

Saw a Fisher Fury with a bike tied to the roll cage at the first CRC Marathon at Builth Wells this year

epicyclo

I wouldn't worry about scratching the car, but I would worry about scratching the bike 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I doubt towing the bike would knacker the bearings, but I'm sure it'd wear out the tyre pretty damn quick on a long journey.

I lolled at the idea of a bike on a scooter though. Would it not be quicker and easier just to ride the bike? Imagine someone nipping by what they think is just a scooter on a country lane and taking out your bike?

Not bike related though, but I once saw an older Jag XJS towing a caravan.

NZCol

I had to pick my 29er up when I was using my 911. Got it in the passenger seat poking out the roof ! Must say I felt like a ****. Some would say more of a ****.

mefty
    Free Member

I have carried a road bike (with tri bars) in an Austen Healey, it was a tight squeeze.

kevonakona
    Free Member

AT inners this week saw two bikes and blokes fit into an Audi TT. Was quite impressed

cynic-al
    Free Member

TT hardtops can take 2 bikes easy (1st gen at least).

I_Ache
    Free Member

I saw a mother and son(must have been about 13-14) loading his bike onto the back of her mobility scooter!

TheBrick – Member

Wow the pretty much sounds like the epitome of someone who has bucket loads stupidity, selfishness and more money than sense.

Stupidity maybe but how does that show she has bucket loads of money surely if she did she would have brought her Range Rover along too or just gone and brought a Vito purely for transporting bikes. And there is absolutely nothing to say she is selfish! What an utterly stupid thing to say.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

before i bought a proper roof rack i used to fit myself the GF and both bikes inside my mini

now the bikes go on the roof and it looks like its top heavy!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

My best mate has a Smart Roadster, he can get two bikes on the back of it (upside down) just looks weird but cool at the same thime.

nbt

One reason to get a motorbike licence:

and a tandem, of course, if you haven't got one already

molgrips
    Free Member

And there is absolutely nothing to say she is selfish!

She parks her Lambo in the bus stop, if you read again. That's selfish as it inconveniences the bus driver, all the passengers, and everyone who has to wait behind as the bus unloads in the road, just to make her life a bit easier.

rootes1

slightly off topic, bu i saw a guy with a canadian canoe on the roof of his smart car. He had a letter from his local police station saying that it was safe, he got pulled over 6 times driving from london to teeside!

he should of got one of these so it fits inside:

ace:

5lab

brassneck

I used to carry mine on the passenger seat of the Elise.. that was a bit of a squeeze, but you do what you have to.

Worse was the Fender Twin in the MX5 boot – it dropped in neatly, but then you had to lift it out in possibly the worst position for 'safe lifting' imaginable. It's not light either.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

5lab wins!!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

me and a friend have been known to transport our tandems on our ford Kas. did get a few strange looks driving around scotland with it.
    have also managed to get 2 proper mtbs in a ka with 3 adults and loads of kit… during the massive dump of snow earlier this year.

got similarly funny looks driving around with a mate in his old school mini with 2 bikes on the roof.

hp_source

I would be tempted to get a TT if I could get this boot lid…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Who's got that pic of me at the gorrick?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It was cold, it was wet, it was miserable!

Still love the car though, even if it isn't on the road at the moment.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Odd cars to carry bikes on’ is closed to new replies.