Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Odd car question – anyone had a Lupo 3l
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

As above really, looking for a super efficient little box. Quite like the look and sound of them. Was thinking of an A2 1.2 diesel, but this is a much less expensive option. Same engine.

Any feedback?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

From Wikipedia:

The Lupo 3L was a special-edition made with the intent of being the world’s first car in series production consuming as little as 3 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (78 miles per US gallon or 94 miles per Imperial gallon)[citation needed]. To achieve this the 3L was significantly changed from the standard Lupo to include:

1.2 litre three-cylinder diesel engine with turbocharger and direct injection (61 hp, 140 Nm)
    Use of light-weight aluminum and magnesium alloys for doors, bonnet (hood), rear-hatch, seat frames, engine block, wheels, suspension system etc. to achieve a weight of only 830 kg (1,830 lb)
    Tiptronic gearbox
    Engine start/stop automatic to avoid long idling periods
    Low rolling resistance tires
    Automated gearbox and clutch, to optimise fuel consumption, with a Tiptronic mode for the gearbox
    Changed aerodynamics, so a \bold c_\mathrm w\, value of 0.29 was achieved
    The 3L, along with the GTI and FSI, had a completely different steel body to other Lupos, using thinner but stronger steel sheet. The car had an automated electro-hydraulic manual transmission with a Tiptronic mode on the selector and an automated electro-hydraulic clutch. The car also had an ECO mode. When engaged it limited the power to 41 bhp (31 kW; 42 PS) (excluding kick down) and programmed the transmission to change up at the most economical point. ECO mode also activated the start/stop function, a feature that was new to European cars at the time. To restart, the driver simply takes his foot off the brake and presses the accelerator. In ECO mode, the clutch was disengaged when the accelerator pedal was released for maximum economy, so the car freewheels as much as possible, with the clutch re-engaging as soon as the accelerator pedal or brake pedal is touched. The 3L also has only 4 wheel bolts and alloy brake drums at the rear, along with many aluminum suspension components.

Initially, there were very few options on the 3L, as options added weight which affected fuel consumption. Those available initially were electrically heated and electrically controlled mirrors, fog lights and different paint colours. In order to increase sales, other options were offered including all-electric steering, electric windows and air conditioning. These options however, increased fuel consumption slightly. In 2001, a Japanese economy driver, Dr Miyano, used it to set a new world record for the most frugal circumnavigation of Britain in a standard diesel production car, with an average fuel economy figure of 119.48 mpg. In November 2003, Gerhard Plattner covered a distance of 2,910 miles through 20 European countries in a standard Lupo 3L TDI. He achieved his aim of completing this journey – which started in Oslo, Norway and finished in The Hague in The Netherlands – with just 100 euros worth of fuel. In fact, all he required was 90.94 euros, which corresponds to an average consumption of 2.78 litres per 100 km (101.6 mpg).

According to the Lupo 3L instruction manual, the 3L engine also runs on Rapeseed Methyl Ester (RME) without any changes to the engine.

During the period of series production of the Lupo 3L, Volkswagen also presented the 1L Concept, a prototype made with the objective of proving the capability of producing a roadworthy vehicle consuming only 1 litre of fuel per 100 kilometres (235 miles per US gallon).

The Lupo 3L shared its engine and special gearbox with the Audi A2 1.2 TDI 3L. As a result of this and other changes, this Audi A2 is also capable of reaching the same results as the Lupo 3L.

porlus
    Free Member

Not a 3.0l engine then.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well clearly not!

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

2.9 VR6 is nearly 3.0L 😉

Sorry, as you were.

porlus
    Free Member

Well clearly not!

Would be nice and nippy haha

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not interested in that. It’s still capable of about 100kmh more than I can ever do an a bike.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Bump for the morning crowd – anyone had a Polo 3L?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

looking for a super efficient little box.

We all are my friend we all are !

apologies if you’re not !

pictonroad

My mate had one, brilliant car, has an aluminium bonnet that you can polish if the fancy takes you. Did huge mpg figures but other cars have caught up now. I loved it, worth having just for the novelty factor. His was LHD, might be an issue for some.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

We’re in the Netherlands now 🙂 LHD is a plus!

Good input – also would like to know about reliability – it was a lot of new tech for the time I think.

Also – anything else we should consider in the same vein?

Thanks.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Was going to say.. I think they never officially came to the UK but from what I’ve read and seen of them, even with modern cars, the 3L is still an excellent little mega efficient car. I’d have one without a second thought. Cool steering wheel as well :S

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ha ha – OK I was a bit pissy last night – I love awesome custom cars, but they’re not what I am after.

A-pol-ogies to the Baron and Mr Jive

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

It’s all good, I was kinda trolling anyhoo, but I thought the twin engine beast was too mental not to share…

I’m all about the economy, managed over 60mpg on a tank for the 1st time last week and contentedly stroked my stubble as I patted the car tenderly on the bonnet.

It was a bit like this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Are they available? How much do they go for? It’s a pretty niche car iirc. There might be others available for the money.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few at shows, I know a lot of the VW crowd will pay a lot more for something a bit rare or leftfield, but ‘cool factor’ aside they just look like an unfinished Lupo.

If efficiency is your main driver you could probably get something never which will do even more mpg for the price owners will no doubt want for them.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

There’s plenty around here in NL for €2-3k which is our budget.

Better MPG? Really? >80-100, in that price range?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure you’ll get 80-100 without being a pillock about it, tbh.

A standard Bluemotion Polo probably wouldn’t be that much different, I reckon.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Usually more money I think. Anyway – I was asking if anyone had owned one 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Odd car question – anyone had a Lupo 3l’ is closed to new replies.