• This topic has 23 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Odd car noise – thoughts…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Speed related ‘high pitched screech/grating’ worse around corners. Any thoughts on what it could be?

🙁

wwaswas

wheel bearings.

BoardinBob

Your wife?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Suddenly started happening today (no sound yesterday at all) – would it come on so quickly?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have you checked the Tigra forums?

wwaswas

could do.

might be a cv joint or diff – will also be turnign at different speeds on corners.

Any ‘clonks’ when you take the drive up at bite point?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Have you checked the Tigra forums?

It’s my wife’s Mazda 3 so no 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😛

djglover
    Free Member

Sawtoothing tyres

adscatt
    Free Member

stone in the brakes a possibility.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

God I hope it is as simple as that.

Just called a good friend of my brother who owns a mechanics and taking it in tomorrow – at least I know whatever (bad) news I get will be the honest bad news.

imnotamused
    Free Member

I had similar on my 3 coming from drivers side front wheel. Before resigning it to a garage I took the wheel off and found a small stone wedged in-between the brake disc and the metal plate next to it causing the stone to scrape on the disc.

Probably unlikely you have the same issue but you never know. I could definitely identify that it was coming from the front wheel.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

at least I know whatever (bad) news I get will be the honest bad news.

As long as he doesn’t do a washing-machine-repairman-it-ain’t-worth-fixing-but-I’m-not-telling-you-what’s-wrong-with-it on you 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lol yes true. That was one one piece of ‘good’ news on the end – the second guy who looked at it fixed it for £72 – better than the £500+ it would have been if we had listened to the first guy and bought new.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Any verdict on the noise yet? Fingers crossed it’s a stone or squeaky earring or something.

Kunstler

I’ve had the same thing happen to my Laguna this week. Chafing and heavy steering which got worse the more I drove it. Likewise, I’m lucky to have a cousin who is a mechanic – he’s looking at it on Thursday. Not so confident that mine will just be a stone.

CHB

Good garage in Starbeck that everyone at work uses.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It was just a stone thank baby jeebus!

CHB – do you mean MJR Motors?

CHB

Not sure of name, its near the level crossing between the back of that lovely tea factory and starbeck station. I tend to do all my own spannering unless its VERY major, so don’t use them myself.
    Sounds like you have had a cheap “repair” anyway! phew!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did it cost £72 ??

Stones get caught between the disc and metal shield that goes round part of the disc. Just prising the gap open a little will pop it out.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Chb – yes but there are two down there.

Didn’t cost us anything as the owner is my brother’s friend AND we booked in it’s service/MOT for next week anyway.

andyl
    Free Member

£72 to remove a stone?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No Andy – the £72 is from another totally unconnected thread – the garage took a look at the car but didn’t charge anything as whatever it was making the noise had stopped. We just took it down to have it checked for safety reasons (in case it was something more serious and just intermittent).

CHB

Ah, Mastiles, not sure of name. You turn left, then right near the level crossing and the garage is sort of behind the Renault garage.
    Never been to the garage, but one of the guys there sort of swapped cars with a colleague of mine after he put £50 of unleaded in a 525 BMW and drove from work to Selby and back before realising! One guy has a 525D BMW, the other now drives a diesel Bora!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Odd car noise – thoughts…’ is closed to new replies.