Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Odd car brakes stuck on problem
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Morning,

Not moved my car for a couple of weeks so when setting of this morning the inside-left wheel was locked on. No problem of course, forward, reverse, forward, reverse and it popped off. Drove 3 miles down the road and came to a stop at some lights, put the handbrake and waited for green. Upon taking the handbrake off, the same wheel was locked on again and no forward/reverse would free it. Oddly, it seemed to move backwards ok but not forwards.

Abandoned the car and got a lift.

Will try and move it again after work, but any bright ideas on how to free the wheel? Seems odd for it to lock up again after being driven for 3 miles.

Thanks.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Rear wheel? Drum brakes have a pivot at one end* of the pads, I’d guess that the pivot aligns to forward, and either your brake cable or another part of the brake is not releasing and the brake binds as you push against it.

Service!

*when you look at it from the side

Here, if turning clockwise, the right hand pad may bind if dragging.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If its a drum brake you need a drum brake release tool*.

Chock wheels first if its on a slope though or you’ll find yourself shuffling down the road trying not to get run over by your own car.

Ask me how I know.

*a ‘ammer

Cougar

Drum brakes?

Do you drive a 1974 Land Rover?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Cougar, that’s not very nice :/

A great many new small cars still have drum brakes.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Plenty cars have a parking drum?

mattrgee
    Free Member

Yes, sorry, drum brakes on the rear. Mitsubishi Colt.

sundaywobbler

Self servo action is what’s causing your problem, moving the car forwards ‘pulls’ the brakes on harder (why drum brake shoes are mounted in different places on the steel backing material) and why it will go backwards okay.

However, if it is properly locked/jammed on, your ‘rocking’ of the car to release this morning may have caused the friction material to come off the steel backing shoe and jammed it all up. This may mean strip down to remove the broken bits and replace…

Not wanting to sound like the bearer of bad news but if it was locked on this morning I’ll be a little surprised if it has magically freed off by this afternoon.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you’re going to leave your car somewhere for an extended period of time (2 weeks+), when you park it up, put it in gear and leave the handbrake off. Should prevent it from seizing on.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

I suspect that the lining has come loose from your brake shoe.
    This then jams against the other brake shoe, locking up the brake.
    You will need to remove the drum to remove the broken lining and fit new shoes.
    This is a LOT easier if the drum is turning, if it is jammed it is a right ball-ache.
    So,if it won’t go forward you are looking at contacting your breakdown organisation.
    Mike (Roadside Patrol for a certain well known yellow motoring organisation)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Odd car brakes stuck on problem’ is closed to new replies.