Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Odd bits of bike set-up
  • lunge

For no other reason than idle curiosity, I wondered what your odd or unusual bike set ups are? Do you have one crank longer than the other? Or do your bars aim left? Or other such oddity?

I’ve been accused of being odd as I double tape the drops of my road bars but not the tops. I also have my saddle WAY higher than my bars, this is also odd apparently.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

-None of my bikes have a wheel diameter over 26″.

-I use bar-ends and tape them

– Have an MTB with North Rounder bars

-Two bikes have V- brakes

njee20
    Free Member

I also have my saddle WAY higher than my bars, this is also odd apparently.

Perhaps to some mountain bikers…

Don’t think I have anything. I’ve removed the top cover of the headset on my road bike in an effort to get the stem to a sensible height, but that’s about it. I always wear the RH side of my saddle more, so perhaps I should make it slightly off centre.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm..

XC race bike:
    – 26″ wheels!
    – 610mm low-rise riser bars
    – Ultegra bar-end shifters mounted on Paul’s components thumbshifter adapters (partly fitted due to low weight but perhaps more because it only cost about £50 instead of the £££ for XTR shifters)
    – 63mm rear travel
    – 80mm Pace forks – remember those?

Orange 5
    – Originally weighed 27lbs but has gone up slightly
    – Carbon seatpost
    – 90mm stem

Patriot
    – 70mm stem, this is apparently long.. only just gone from 90mm
    – Slack shock position even though it’s used for XC
    – Ergon freeride style grips
    – Manitou shock – remember those?

Road bike
    – 53cm frame 120mm stem (I’m 5’11, 56cm was out of stock when I needed it)
    – Triple chainset

Commuter hybrid
    – Slammed upside-down 6 degree 120mm stem
    – Flat carbon bars
    – Cup holder
    – Enormous bell

Let me know if any of that counts as odd 🙂

EDIT oh, all the saddles are significantly higher than the bars..

IA

Saddle higher than bars? Not unusual at all, unless you mainly ride with short people? Though I’m tall, so even on my DH bikes the lowest a saddle gets is level with my bars.

I’ve bar ends on my XC bike, odd to some… especially as it also has a dropper. It’s the mullet of the bike world, business up front, party out back.

My brakes always are set to be really close to the bar, but again not odd, quite common amongst DHers.

molgrips
    Free Member

I love bar ends.. I put flats on the XC racer but it wasn’t good enough on the descents and twisty bits, and that’s about the only place I can make up time in an XC race 🙂

lunge

Saddle higher than bars? Not unusual at all, unless you mainly ride with short people?

It may be the short people, but then I’m 6ft 5in so everyone is short to me! It’s also pleasing to see other people with bars lower or level with saddle of DH bikes, I was certain I was the only one who did that!

I set me brakes to bite almost as soon as I touch them as well, I hate having lots of lever travel

Northwind

At the moment all my brakes are really close to the bar on the left, and miles out from the bar on the right, and they’re at different angles- something wrong with my right hand at the mo so I had to tweak the lever so I can brake normally. Only been like that for a couple of weeks but already half a dozen people have helpfully told me I’m wrong.

IA

I set me brakes to bite almost as soon as I touch them as well, I hate having lots of lever travel

No I don’t mean that. I mean they point they bite is really close into the bars, hardly any reach. Gives me less arm pump.

It may be the short people, but then I’m 6ft 5in so everyone is short to me!

6’4″ here, and yup, everyone is short, we’re the right size 😉 *high 5*

ska-49
    Free Member

All my stems are angled about 2-4 degrees to left.
    I broke my arm and can’t fully extend it now. In order to be comfortable I’ve had to rotate the stem.

Everyone always comments when they have a go. Some can’t work out why it feels funny and others think I don’t know what I’m doing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Odd bits of bike set-up’ is closed to new replies.