Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Octsober.
  • yodagoat
    Free Member

I would have shared this with you lot sooner but I got banned for a wee while due to having 3 different accounts.

I’m off the sauce for a month. I’m not doing it for charity or anything, just a wee healthy break. Anyone else tried it?

And before all the fuds climb on their high horse this is a choice. Its ok to get pissed once in a while.

Anyways, i’ll keep track of any massive health benefits here.
    http://yodagoat.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/octsober-1st.html

yunki
    Free Member

the first month is the hardest IME.. more importantly though:

what were your alternative log-ins..?

yodagoat
    Free Member

I was accused of having the alternative log-ins “theyak” and “yourherotheyak” 😉

yunki
    Free Member

yunki approves of The Yak wholeheartedly.. 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve not touched it for four months…the first month is definitely the hardest, but the results are well worth it. I’ve got to a point where I’ve simply lost the taste for it.

I had some blood tests last week, everything seems to be recovering very well indeed.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Yunki – I’ll pass your regards on to The Yak.
    PJM – Did you have to give up for health reasons? I probably drink too much, but this is just a wee thing the GF and I are doing. I’ll be having a beer in November!

yodagoat
    Free Member

Thanks for editing my first post for me there Mark, another sense of humor failure? The Yak passes on his regards by the way. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

TheYak posts were a bit obvious. Subtlety key, it is. Mmmm.

Kryton57

I’ve given up since 1st September, on the basis Mrs K was expecting and I may have to drive to the hossie at any time.

Kryton junior 2 was born last night, and it was tough not to have a congratulatory small drop of the XO when I came in at 3.30 this morning – as I’ve promised myself I’m going ’til Christmas day – because I can.

As for the first month, I didn’t find t hard. but could really sink a cold beer now/tonight…. *will resist*

yodagoat
    Free Member

Kryton – Going till christmas eh? That’s hardcore!

Jamie – Yer right, but it was only a bit of fun. Some people take themselves a bit too seriously I think.

nbt

I do it occasionally. Doesn’t seem to make a huge difference except to my ability to consume alcohol when I resume: whereas at one point, 5 pints was a quiet night out and 8 pints not unusual, I’m now leathered on three pints. Can’t really say it makes any difference to my health or to my life, except that I visit the pub less frequently (don’t see the point, if I’m not having a beer). Then again I only have a pint or two a couple of nights each week, I’m not a heavy or frequent drinker anymore

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don’t drink “a lot” but I do drink regularly; a small beer or small glass of wine most nights of the week. I’ve often thought about going off the sauce for a bit, but the question I have for successful tee-totallers is what drink do you replace it with? For example there are fewer nicer luxuries than a pint in a country pub after a stroll with the wife and kids. I’m not sure a Coke/water/cup of tea would cut the mustard. Ditto for evening meals when it feels like I’m missing a crucial part of the dinner if I don’t have a glass of wine with spag bol.

I don’t miss going to the pub for the evening and I don’t miss getting drunk, but I think I would miss drinking with a meal.

yodagoat
    Free Member

I feel the same about not going to the pub if i’m not having a pint. If I do go I don’t really stay for long which I find a bit crap as I really enjoy going for a pint with my mates.

druidh
    Free Member

Why do you think you should cut down? A small amount of alcohol on a regular basis seems to be perfectly OK.

Kryton57

I have for successful tee-totallers is what drink do you replace it with?

I found this. As my “habit” is a friday night drink* (I don’t normally drink during the week), I get a couple of bottles of this for Friday night. Its different, is “heavy” like beer as it says and has that same J ‘ne say kwah taste that beer does due to the hops & barley content. You can buy it in Sainsburys;

http://www.juicebrewery.com/

Citrus is best IMO.

* what I mean by that, is Friday – Sunday night 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Why do you think you should cut down?

broken collarbone means I’m exercising less at the moment so looking at ways of reducing calorie intake. Also, it just seems like an interesting challenge.

RustySpanner

I thought the Yak was Fred!

After many many years of drinkung waaaaaaaay too much, I’ve virtually given up now -small glass of spirits or a glass of wine every week, that’s about it.

Do I feel any better?
    Yes, but not as much as I expected too.
    Feel happier, which is nice.
    Worth it just for that, tbh.

Found it quite easy to stop, but then I just don’t find myself in boozy company much anymore, which helps.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t drink much these days. I pretty much gave up completely when i got ill a couple of years ago. Since feeling a bit better I’ve got back into it slightly, but have considered giving up completely.

It is mainly the social side I would miss – quite often have weekends away with friends and I think I wouldn’t enjoy it as much without drink (as everyone else would be getting moderately pissed). Sad but true.

Kryton57

How did every one get on?

Me, I’m still not drinking but currently undergoing a real test, stress at work means I’m literally gagging for a beer….

binners

Its Friday. Give in to it….

binners

binners

binners

Kryton57

You’re not helping :-/

binners

😉

Kryton57

Whats worse, is that 2 weeks ago the in-laws dropped round a case of Stella from Macro – which is sitting beside the fridge…

binners

Then you can fall of the wagon in style then?

😀

portlyone

I was dry through October. Not that much of a deal for me to be honest. I don’t usually drink during the week anyway and might “only” have three or four beers at the weekend.

Bit like chocolate, I don’t miss it if it’s not there, but if it is I might/will consume some.

Kryton57

‘cept its not is it – David Blair increased Alchy Tax so they reduced content….

Mind you it wouldn’t take much after 2.5 dry months

lodious
    Free Member

I’ve been off the booze for 6 weeks now for health reasons (banging headaches which always turn up this time of year).

TBH, I don’t feel much better, I’m miserable, and starting to realise I’m pretty boring in a social situation without being drunk.

I miss it 🙁

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Octsober.’ is closed to new replies.