Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • october bike tour in the uk. nicest area?
  • ton

idea’s for a hopefully nice autumnal cycle tour somewhere in the uk?

Klunk
    Free Member

nicest or dryest 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmmm.. nice.. plenty,
    try Wales. Start Ironbridge, head west to Church Stretton, Lake Bala, Dogalogaloo (Dolgellau) Barmouth, Aberdyfi, Nanty-Moch Reservoir, Elan Village, Ludlow then back to Ironbridge.

Been yonks since I’ve done that area, hope it’s just as stunning as it’s always been.

Do it in a day just for the hell of it. 😀

Sandwich

If you want dry come and try South Suffolk. (Watch it chuck it down now I’ve made the recommendation).

lesshaste

ncr/sustrans route 8. Angelsey to Chepstow or Cardiff. Fantastic varied route, can’t odds the weather though!

Markie
    Free Member

Sandwich has it!

We did a http://coolpedals.co.uk tour of Essex and Suffolk last autumn and absolutely loved it! Gorgeous countryside, quiet roads (passed by 4 cars over 4 days excluding the small bits of the tour where we were going through small towns!). It was ace!

RustySpanner

We’re doing Kendal in October.
    What could possibly go wrong?
    🙂

Not camping though….

ton

south suffolk sounds good. mrs loved southwold, would be nice for a nights stop.

bikebouy, that sounds good for me, but a bit tough for the mrs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m nicking Markie’s Suffolk route !!

Me likeeee.

I’ll admit the route I chose was a bit “bumpy” but it’s quite stunning area that hardly anyone knows much about. One for the future mebbies.

ton

just watching antiques thing on bbc1. they are in suffolk, at constables house, looks lovely.

Markie
    Free Member

The route we were on went past the site of the haywain!

timidwheeler

We’ve got a week off in October and have been trying to decide where to go. The weather is much dryer in the east so we were looking at the north York Moors. The tourist website says it is the “driest upland area in the country”. Also says there is lots of cake. There is also a nice looking cycle route along the coast.

epicyclo

Wester Ross in the Highlands if you don’t mind a few wee hills.

Good on or offroad.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Want something eith spectacular scenary but easy enought for the mrs.try the caldonian canal route .sounds dull but isnt .

padkinson
    Free Member

I’ll put in another vote for Suffolk, purely out of excitement that my homeland has come up in a mountain bike forum! It is indeed the driest place in the UK, and very nice too (albeit not hilly). Dedham Vale and the Stour valley in general is the best area, although going north towards Lavenham and that is also very picturesque.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The South Downs, in the area between Winchester and Butser Hill has enough road routes with stunning views and pretty challenging climbs to keep most happy.

I’d love the prospect of cycling in the Dolgellau/ Machenllyth/ Bala area, with their higher categorised hills than the South Downs bit nearest me, but I would be a bit weary of doing it in October as autumn is in full flow.

Andy

October? Purbecks should get good weather that time of year.

thecaptain
    Free Member

There isn’t good/bad area there is good/bad weather.

epicyclo

thecaptain – Member
    There isn’t good/bad area there is good/bad weather.

We never have bad weather here in the Highlands..

It’s just good weather or “interesting” weather.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘october bike tour in the uk. nicest area?’ is closed to new replies.