Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Octavia Scout Estate 4×4 – opinions
  • iainc

musing over next car, which will be using a car allowance from work, and financed on a pcp deal. I currently have a 5 Tourer as a Company car, which goes back end of the year.

Current thoughts are another 5 Tourer (a lot every month), an XC60 – like it, a bit cheaper than the BMW, slight nuisance of bikes on a high roof, or the Octavia Scout, which seems like a sensible option and a chunk cheaper.

Don’t ‘need’ 4×4 but would often be handy, so would prefer it where it’s an option.

Anyone got the Scout and what you think of it ?

prototype
    Free Member

Had one for coming up to a year (13 plate, last of the old model). No complaints so far. Previous car was a 1.9 Octavia 4×4 estate so the scout is much the same, just a little higher, faster and thirstier. The old one lasted for nearly 200,000 miles so naturally will be disappointed to get less out of this. Our #1 criteria in a car is practicality, if you’re similar then I would recommend it. Might be slightly smaller than 5 series? However manages us and 2 toddlers plus loads of gear well.

iainc

sounds good, thanks. On paper it has a slightly bigger boot that the 5 Tourer, so that is good. Bikes will be on roof.

hopkinsgm

Admittedly, they weren’t Scouts but I was recently looking at Octavia estates generally. I ended up buying a Yeti.

jimw
    Free Member

Having 4×4 on a road car isn’t just good for the occasional foray off road. In my experience ( I am now in my 6th 4wd estate) it makes a lot of difference on an almost daily basis-certainly compared to the FWD equivalent. No wheelspin in normal driving, seems to track better in windy conditions etc. etc. there is of course a penalty in fuel, but compared to general running costs including depreciation the difference is minimal.

I have driven the Octavia Mk3 150 hp 4wd estate and it was certainly more composed and secure than the FWD version I had driven before, partly because the 4wd has a more sophisticated rear suspension.

If you want more room for people, perhaps look at the Mk3 Superb which has a lot more legroom, otherwise the boot space between Superb and Octavia estates is very little different from a very brief look the other day. All the extra length is in the rear cabin

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Have you driven an Octavia yet?

Sound car in every way, just dull…dull, I think the BM you look forward to driving, the Octavia is well just dull…

richmtb

Sound car in every way, just dull…dull, I think the BM you look forward to driving, the Octavia is well just dull…

This one looks like fun!

jam-bo

Having 4×4 on a road car isn’t just good for the occasional foray off road.

seconded. After a few years now in a 4WD car I won’t be going back to 2WD when it comes to replace it.

iainc

interesting, cheers. From a play with the online finance deals, the 150bhp Scout would be £130 a month less than a 5 Tourer, and the 184bhp version around £90 less. I haven’t sat in one, let alone drive it yet, but will do before deciding.

ski78

Did have a good look at the Octavia scout just a couple of months ago. Looked great, had a massive boot, really well finished inside but both the wife and I agreed it was a dull drive.

Ended up going for a nearly new 3 series touring x-drive, smaller boot and probably slightly smaller inside, but just a much more interesting car, had a much better feel on the road.
    The boot on the Skoda was impressive though!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Assuming that a 520d is the alternative, that’s hardly what I would call interesting or exciting. And that’s from a BMW fan boy.

I have vRS TDI as my company car and it’s fine – it’s pretty dull but is reasonably well spec’d and has bags of room inside for chucking bikes in. I decided that it was no less dull that the equivalent BMW dervs that I could have had but meant more space etc.

Comparing it to a 5er is probably unfair though. The size may be similar, but the 5er will feel much posher given the price difference.

somouk
    Free Member

I tried out the normal Octavia VRS estate, not the 4 x 4 and ended up buying a BMW X1. Smaller boot but overall much nicer car to be in and drive. There are only two of us so no real consideration of people in the back.

iainc

good info. yes, it would be a 520D if sticking with BMW Tourer. I will have had current one for 4 yrs, and had a 318d Tourer before that, so am a bit of a creature of habit. The allowance would cover a new 520d Tourer, it’s just that I could save a chunk with the Scout…

perchypanther
    Free Member

The allowance would cover a new 520d Tourer, it’s just that I could save a chunk with the Scout…

….or spend £6240 on bikes over the 4 year period. Hmmmmmmm…

FuzzyWuzzy

I went from a 330ci to a Octavia Estate 1.8TSi – it’s less fun to drive but it’s not like with a road bike where it really matters. I might not take bends and roundabouts as fast but then I’m probably a safer driver now and my tires last longer.

The only times I really missed the 330ci were when I was getting used to the 1.8 which has no torque before the turbo kicks in – made for some brown trouser moments at junctions.

Maybe I don’t do enough miles but I don’t get into the Octavia thinking dull..dull…dull (like I do when riding my Spesh Roubaix), it’s just a comfortable car that can easily exceed the speed limit and has a 0-60 time I rarely test. Maybe I’m just getting old…

kevhl
    Free Member

This one looks like fun!

It’s certainly quick; the clocks and digi dash both stop at 170mph but it keeps on going! The chassis is so much better than the previous generation ones too, much more rewarding to drive quickly.

I quite like the Scout, it’s a lot of car for the money and as said that gives you more bike money or holiday money if it’s up to the mrs!

Baldysquirt

We bought an 11 plate 1.8 petrol scout with 73K on the clock in December and I’m very pleased so far. It was burning oil at an alarming rate so the dealer has just rebuilt the engine under warranty which made the slight dealer premium on price suddenly very good value. It drives very well – I’m not after an exciting car particularly – but it’s comfortable, has decent power and fits all our biking / family paraphernalia. The 4×4 capability and all season tyres gives me the confidence that we’re not stranded on the estate at the first sign of snow.

philjunior
    Free Member

Have you considered just getting the 4×4 estate rather than the Scout? Or are you planning on ragging it round forestry tracks?

The boot is huge either way (I have the hatch, a couple of mates have the estate, one got the 4×4 estate, he preferred the spec to the equivalently priced Scout), and it’s a big comfy car. Much bigger than a 3 series, not been in a 5 series recently.

munrobiker
    Free Member

They now do a VRS 4×4 if that’d be of interest.

cb

I sat in a scout in the showroom and was very impressed – didn’t drive it though. Not sure if they do various spec levels of it but this one had all the bells and whistles. Nearly 30k though as I remember.

Have you thought of leasing direct from Skoda or do you do too many miles. They have some cracking offers on 2 year leases (plus longer terms if you need that). Excess mileage is only 7.2p a mile, which seems good if you do go over the limit.

iainc

thanks for feedback. I do about 20k miles per annum. Decent load space is essential, with 2 boys, and regular UK holidays, camping etc. Will definitely go and have a poke round them at the showroom, cheers

Houns

4×4 vRS would be my choice

jimw
    Free Member

Yes, but the 4×4 vRs and 184 Scout are both DSG only….

Therefore not for me unfortunately. I am probably the only person who doesn’t like DSG gearboxes, particularly with diesels, if the VAG offerings are anything to go by. Need four wheel drive and like a bit of poke?-“that’ll be DSG Sir, whether you like it or not”

cheers_drive

I have a 15 plate 150 Scout and really like it. Certain materials aren’t up to the standard of my previous A3 but it’s better than Fords or Vauxalls. Only issue is it is a little noisey at motorway speeds.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

This thread is just in time..was also looking between VRS vs Scout vs 318/320d Tourer and causing me brainfreeze 😐

tom200

Subaru levorg?

takisawa2

My money would be going on a Superb. What a lovely motor to drive.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Octavia Scout Estate 4×4 – opinions’ is closed to new replies.