• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cp.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Octalink BB – which one?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Finally after more than a decade my bottom bracket has gone on my SS. What should I replace it with? I like the cranks, and it uses an Octalink BB.

alanf
    Free Member

Weren’t Octalink a Shimano standard?
    Didn’t everyone else use ISIS when they moved away from ST?

If you want to keep the cranks then just go like for like.
    CRC have stock of ES51’s in various flavours which would maybe cover what you need.

steezysix
    Free Member

There’s two different styles of Octalink, one has shorter splines. Make sure the one you buy is the same shape as your old one or you might strip your cranks!

verses

More than a decade!?

I could never get more than 10 months out of an Octalink BB!

medoramas
    Free Member

There’s two different styles of Octalink, one has shorter splines.

It’s XTR and DuraAce that have shorter splines.

Just make sure the axle length matches your crankset. I used to like the cheap and cheerful ES-21.

lunge

I quite liked Octalink, certainly better than square taper which I still don’t understand why people swoon over.

I’ve got a ES51 on my cargo bike which is fine, it works, doesn’t creak and lasts OK. A quick glance on CRC reveals they are £18, although as you can pick up a ES35 for £8 I may suggest take a punt on that.

cp

the cheapest you can lay your hands on in a size you need – they are much of a muchness IME. Everyone I’ve used has been excellent – use them on the singlespeed, they just don’t die.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Octalink BB – which one?’ is closed to new replies.