Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Octalink BB / Suntour Cranks – replacement/upgrade options ?
  • muddymickey
    Free Member

Evening all

The chainrings on my Voodoo Bizango are pretty worn, and the BB is starting to grumble, so I’m looking at options for replacement.

The current BB doesn’t have any markings on (they may have corroded off as the BB shell was full of water…), but it’s an Octalink, 118mm length in a 73mm shell.
    Cranks are Suntour XCM, 175mm long, with 22T and 36T chainrings, chainline is 50mm (I think).

I’m wondering what my options are – either to replace like for like, or upgrade.
    If I replace more or less as-is, which Shimano BBs would be suitable?
    If I upgrade, any suggestions for reasonably priced BB & crankset ?

It’s my first MTB so not that familiar with my options.

Thanks for any help 🙂

andy4d

I got rid of my octalink bb and cranks for shimano hollowtech bb and slx cranks. One of the best decions i made imo. The octalink bb weighs a ton compared to the hollowtech and I find the hollowtech easier to replace (tool wise) and better choice of options, deore, slx,xt to suit your budget.

rossburton
    Free Member

What he said. A reasonable upgrade would be a Deore BB/crankset, especially from the classifieds as basically a crank goes from looking brand new to worn in two rides, and after that is fine forever.

Inbred456
    Free Member

The Octalink is heavier but is very robust and will last a lot longer than your HT2 BB. You may or may not have to have your BB faced before you fit a HT2 crankset. HT2 is stiffer though. Horses for courses.

andy4d

I never had to get my bb faced and my octalink lasted 3 years, my hollowtech is on year 2, and at 15/20quid for a new one when it does go, I will take hollowtech every time thankyou…but it is each to their own.

muddymickey
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Does this look like it’ll fit?
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-slx-m677-10spd-double-cset-inc-bb/

andy4d

I would say that will fit fine, but if your chain rings are that worn you will probably need to replace the rear cassette and chain at the same time as these too will of worn and may cause bother with new chain rings. If you do go ahead you might be best to get your lbs to remove the old octalink bb to save buying a tool that you will only use once if you are switching to hollowtech (mine did it for the price of a coffee) and then fit the new one yourself.

muddymickey
    Free Member

Update…I went for the SLX M677 from Ribble, and fitted it last night.

Fitting the BB was a doddle, I did buy the Park Tool er, tool for the Hollowtech, and borrowed a tool for the Octalink from a friend at work.
    I actually replaced the chain and rear cassette only a couple of weeks ago, so all shiny and new 🙂
    Just need to adjust front/rear mech and I’m good to go.

Weighed all the old Octalink/Suntour bits and the new stuff, I’m now 240g lighter 😀

andy4d

Told you so. 😉

slackboy

SLX M677 from Ribble, and fitted it last night.

Good choice, the SLX ones don’t suffer from foot rub like the deore and deore XT ones can. I’ve had mine on for 2 years and the still look pretty good. Unlike the black ones on my road bike which are worn to silver.

cuyahoga
    Free Member

muddymickey
    Update…I went for the SLX M677 from Ribble, and fitted it last night

A timely update, thanks. My drivetrain is going the same way and I’d been hunting around for a suitable replacement without having to think about different ratios. Can’t argue with an SLX cassette for 28 quid either…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Octalink BB / Suntour Cranks – replacement/upgrade options ?’ is closed to new replies.