• This topic has 32 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Octalink BB removal
  • DezB
    Free Member

Looking here: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=94
    appears I need 2 tools for this.. one for the drive side (the standard sq taper tool) and one for the non-drive – the BBT-18.
    That right?

thanks

finbar
    Free Member

That’s what i needed when i did my ultegra octalink one a couple of months ago (haven’t looked but i assume the bbt-18 is an 8 pronged jobby).

aracer
    Free Member

You don’t need the bbt-18 for anything normal – both cups are standard splined.

DezB
    Free Member

This’un

DezB
    Free Member

aracer – so the piccy on the right, the bb has the internal splines for a standard tool as well as the external splines?
    LX crank so I presume LX BB

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, maybe it’s ISIS… bloody bolloking BB standards!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Left BB is Octalink, right is ISIS.

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm.. so I better start a new thread.

ISIS BB Removal!

Do I need 2 tools for that??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The only octalink BB I’ve ever removed came out with a standard BB tool….

aracer
    Free Member

What exactly have you got? If it’s an LX it will be Octalink, not ISIS. Some Octalink BBs do have the external splines as well as the internal ones, which may be what’s confusing you.

DezB
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve had a quick look at the bike, but now the owner has taken it away.
    As far as I could see:
    – the drive side had internal splines only
    – the non-drive side had external splines – like the pic on the right. I couldn’t see whether it also had internal splines, it didn’t look like it.

I can’t say exactly what it is cos I have only used square taper and external HTII and sensibly skipped ISIS and Octalink!

Much appreciative of the help!

bigyinn
    Free Member

All the shimano octalink BBs i’ve had have had the internal splines, although the non fixed cup may have the external slots as well (metal XT ones did, plastic LX ones dont).

DezB
    Free Member

I suppose the question is – will that cup with the external (BBT-18) splines also have the internal ones, or will I have to buy a BBT-18 to get it out?
    EDIT – it’s metal

aracer
    Free Member

Is it LX?

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t know

aracer
    Free Member

Ok I’ll try again, is the Crank an LX (or other Shimano)?

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely a LX crank. Definitely not square taper. HTII on the crank arm.

aracer
    Free Member

HTII? In which case that’s surely an external BB!

DezB
    Free Member

Nope, they did internal BB HTII cranks.
    I’m glad it’s not just me who finds all this confusing!

From what I’ve seen, the external spline cup is ISIS, but there’s no ISIS info on Shimano’s site, so I’m thinking Shimano called their splined BB system Octalink. I thought they had different splines (I’m talking the crank/BB interface now), so you couldn’t use an Octalink crank on a ISIS BB.
    Maybe I’m wrong.
    I guess the easiest thing is to get my mate to buy a BBT-18, as it definitely has those tool splines on the cup.

aracer
    Free Member

Nope, they did internal BB HTII cranks.

No they didn’t – HTII specifically means external BB. You’re maybe thinking of original HT (not 2) which normally means Octalink.

Anyway, have we established that it’s a Shimano Crank, it’s not an external BB, it’s not ST? In which case it’s definitely Octalink and you can definitely remove it with only a standard Shimano internal spline tool, no need for the bbt-18. The only fly in the ointment being that some ST tools have too small a bore to fit the Octalink axle in, so won’t work (as was the case with mine when I first got Octalink 12 years ago!)

Shimano didn’t ever do anything with ISIS.

finbar
    Free Member

This is a really long thread for a very simple answer. You were right in your first post – you need both tools.

Here is a picture:

aracer
    Free Member

This is a really long thread for a very simple answer

Mainly because it seems dezb isn’t sure exactly what BB/crank it is.

you need both tools

No you don’t! You see that bit with an external spline on the left. That also has an internal spline.

finbar
    Free Member

Oh right, sorry. I always just used the 8 prong tool for that side on mine because i had one handy – i guess i never looked in detail.

EDIT: so there is:

DezB
    Free Member

A-ha!

Finbar, you’re a star.

Thanks for your time too acracer – but I am sure you’re wrong about HTII meaning the BB type – it means the Hollowtech II design of the cranks. (not that this really matters).

aracer
    Free Member

Straight from Shimano Glossary

HOLLOWTECH II Crankset: Integrated bottom bracket and crankset design reduces the number of parts, significantly cuts down weight and increases rigidity. Hollowtech II designs allow the bottom bracket bearings to be spaced more widely. This dramatically changes the loads on the bearings to increase rigidity and bearing service life.

DezB
    Free Member

Fair enough. I’ll take a photo when I get my hands back on the damn bike!

nickc

IFAIK, hollowtech merely refers to the style of crank arms, not the BB design. I’m with DezB, I’m fairly sure there was HTII crankset with an octalink BB

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hello! Told you that back 3 hours ago!

aracer
    Free Member

hollowtech merely refers to the style of crank arms, not the BB design.

It does, however HT2 specifies the BB interface – given there’s little if any difference in how the arms are made (and at least two different technologies are used for each generation), why else the new designator? Have you read my direct Shimano quote above? Maybe you’re getting confused because there was Octalink v1 and v2?

GavinB

Brilliant thread!

jonb
    Free Member

I’m not reading this, but I have installed and removed many, you only need one tool on the Deore, LX and XT that I have used.

mudshark
    Free Member

I put internal BB XT HT cranks back on a bike for the winter – 1 tool, no problem and in fact I’ve never had a problem with that Octalink BB. There were def 2 versions of HT before the external BB, I have the 1st one, but can’t remember if there was a name difference. The 2nd had fatter arms.

DezB
    Free Member

It ain’t over!
    So I get the bike today – take off the crank arm and lo-and-behold –

So my old BB tool willbe able to undo both sides. Yay…
    But! Boo, the bloody Octalink axle is too big and my old square taper tool won’t fit up the the splines – the hole in the middle isn’t big enough!

The LBS only sells Park tools, so not wasting £12 on a new one. I’ll have enlarge the hole in mine (or grind the teeth off the axle)

BTW, it didn’t say HTII on the arm, it said Hollowtech. Apologies to aracer for that

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Octalink BB removal’ is closed to new replies.