Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Occupy Wall Streets list of demands – Major ROFLMAO reporting for duty.
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-ows-demands/

Repeal the Taft-Hartley Act. Unionize ALL workers immediately.

Raise the minimum wage immediately to $18/hr. Create a maximum wage of $90/hr to eliminate inequality.

Institute a 6 hour workday, and 6 weeks of paid vacation.

Institute a moratorium on all foreclosures and layoffs immediately.

Repeal racist and xenophobic English-only laws.

Open the borders to all immigrants, legal or illegal. Offer immediate, unconditional amnesty, to all undocumented residents of the US.

Create a single-payer, universal health care system.

Pass stricter campaign finance reform laws. Ban all private donations. All campaigns will receive equal funding, provided by the taxpayers.

Institute a negative income tax, and tax the very rich at rates up to 90%.

Pass far stricter environmental protection and animal rights laws.

Allow workers to elect their supervisors.

Lower the retirement age to 55. Increase Social Security benefits.

Create a 5% annual wealth tax for the very rich.

Ban the private ownership of land.

Make homeschooling illegal. Religious fanatics use it to feed their children propaganda.

Reduce the age of majority to 16.

Abolish the death penalty and life in prison. We call for the immediate release of all death row inmates from death row and transferred to regular prisons.

Release all political prisoners immediately.

Immediate withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Abolish the debt limit.

Ban private gun ownership.

Strengthen the separation of church and state.

Immediate debt forgiveness for all.

End the ‘War on Drugs’.

(This content is user submitted and not an official statement – but dont let ruin the fun… its been published on their website!)

peterfile
    Free Member

ahahahhhahahaha!!!

amazing. people are truly AMAZING 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

A stoner’s* manifesto 🙂

* not our Malvern dweller.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

They had a proper meeting and everything

binners

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww bless.

What on earth would happen if any of them ever found themselves in the real world?

binners

Why do you want to be called Loretta, Stan? 😆

duckman

Caught up with the Chartists 150 years late.

kimbers

i think they stand a good chance of getting all they want passed apart from

its america after all

tbh most of their demands are quite reasonable

mcboo
    Free Member

Go on then, fill your boots.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spend loads of cash!

Fine, but how do you fund it all?

Erm. Well, erm. Yes, you know, it’s like, erm. Oooh look, Starbucks is open again, KTHXBY!

😉

mcboo
    Free Member

Hopi Sen is always worth a read, Labour blogger.

Re:the Occupy Movement

So, while I am very critical of the left, and of the agit-prop tantrum-politics that constitutes what might call the “id” of the Occupy movement, if not its core ideology, there is a grain of truth in the idea that “mainstream” politics is not providing a particularly coherent response to the crisis, and so laughable incoherence becomes an equally attractive option. If the best the right can offer is an attack on red tape, and the best we offer is a short term VAT cut, maybe facepainting your way to a solution seems just as sensible a response as any other.

Instead, mainstream left politicians argue for a cautious, small increase in demand against the backdrop of potential catastrophe, while the idealists busy themselves with constructing a fantasy world where libertarians can lie down with communists, because they all feel upset with the way things are going. The most interesting thing about the Occupy movement, as far as I can tell, is that it is not, in any meaningful way, left wing. It is protest as therapy, not solution, and glories in a refusal to offer an alternative.

http://hopisen.com/2011/the-twin-crises/

Told you he was good.

binners

and glories in a refusal to offer an alternative.

Genius!

Quite literally the politics of…. “ERM?”

Stoner
    Free Member

A stoner’s* manifesto

I reckon mine might look a tad different 😉

kimbers

mcboo – Member
    Go on then, fill your boots.

ok…..

taft-hartley act makes it legal to spy on any union police state or what!?

Raise the minimum wage immediately to $18/hr. Create a maximum wage of $90/hr to eliminate inequality.

bit fanciful this one but minimum wage is a good idea, just like we have in the uk

Institute a 6 hour workday, and 6 weeks of paid vacation.

in the uk we all have statutory right to 5.6 weeks annual leave already

Institute a moratorium on all foreclosures and layoffs immediately

this one would be hard to pull off

seems obvious to me

Open the borders to all immigrants, legal or illegal. Offer immediate, unconditional amnesty, to all undocumented residents of the US.

the amnesty part makes sense, the immigrants are already there taxing and regulating them is the logical thing to do

like the nhs then, costs a fraction of what the yanks pay as % of gdp and we have longer lifespans

Pass stricter campaign finance reform laws. Ban all private donations. All campaigns will receive equal funding, provided by the taxpayers.

absolutely obvious this one, lobbyists are anti-democracy

something has to be done as billionaire warren buffet says he only paid tax on 19% of his earnings in 2006

again obvious and would bring them into line with europe and the uk

this one is getting a bit out there ill give you that

this one too is a bit binkers

see warren buffet comments

in principle i like it, no more access issues for mtbing!

Make homeschooling illegal. Religious fanatics use it to feed their children propaganda.

considering the amount of religous nutters in america im down with this

like the uk

Abolish the death penalty and life in prison. We call for the immediate release of all death row inmates from death row and transferred to regular prisons.

like the uk

i thought only south american dictators held political prisoners?

who can argue against that!

Abolish the debt limit.

??

like any civilised country on the planet and the uk

like any civilised country on the planet

tyler durden would agree

End the ‘War on Drugs’.

couldnt agree more its utterly failed and drug wars are killing 10000 a year in mexico alone

thebunk

[edit]wot kimbers said[/edit]

Fine, but how do you fund it all?

Flashy, you can pay…

uplink
    Free Member

bit fanciful this one but minimum wage is a good idea, just like we have in the uk

As they do in the US [apart from 4 or 5 states]

Lifer
    Free Member

I can see the thinking in most of that (some of it is silly). But as you say it’s a user submission, which is kind of the point isn’t it? Everyone should have a voice?

Repeal racist and xenophobic English-only laws. Not sure what this refers to would need to look into it but doesn’t sound ridiculous

Open the borders to all immigrants, legal or illegal. Offer immediate, unconditional amnesty, to all undocumented residents of the US.Give us your poor, your hungry?

Create a single-payer, universal health care system.Makes sense

Pass stricter campaign finance reform laws. Ban all private donations. All campaigns will receive equal funding, provided by the taxpayers.Makes a lot of sense and would like to see similar over here!

Pass far stricter environmental protection and animal rights laws.Can’t see much wrong with that but would need details!

Abolish the death penalty and life in prison. We call for the immediate release of all death row inmates from death row and transferred to regular prisons.Agree with that with the annotation

Immediate withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan.Would like to see more movement toward withdrawal – immediate obviously isn’t practical/safe

Ban private gun ownership.Tighter gun laws rather than ban

Strengthen the separation of church and state.Yep

End the ‘War on Drugs’.Every study shows the WoD is costly and ineffective. All it does is fill prisons with users

wrecker
    Free Member

$18/hour?
    There’s some skilled people out there earning that sort of money.
    I’m all for taxing the very rich but 90% is stupid.
    If we’re trying to discourage religious fanaticism, can we ban faith schools whist we’re at it?
    If land ownership is prohibited how will new areas be developed (new housing etc)?
    Opening borders would be suicide but other than that (and kimbers omissions); crack on!

clubber
    Free Member

Essentially not an unreasonable list of ‘wants’.

Of course there’s not a hope in hell of them ever being acted upon. I suppose it comes down to approach.

Do you aim unrealistically high because that’s what you believe in even if by doing so you make the likelihood of achieving anything even close to what you want less likely because people will marginalise you for being a nutter.

Or, do you set realistic, smaller goals and once you achieve them, set new ones?

I suspect that the real answer is that you need the former beardy wierdies with their unrealistic goals to keep up the impetus of the latter people who probably actually achieve change but in a series of much smaller steps. Though of course the problem with that is that the latter people can be sidelined by the rich/powerful because they’re less obsessive/driven about the cause. Maybe.

thebunk

I suspect that the real answer is that you need the former beardy wierdies with their unrealistic goals to keep up the impetus of the latter people who probably actually achieve change but in a series of much smaller steps.

This. Especially in America, where the Right have the Tea Party crazies, the Left need their nutters to start shouting louder to stir up some debate.

But, carry on with the mocking, apolitical capitalists…

binners

Clubber. Haven’t you just described the Lib Dems? Pre and post getting-into-bed-with-Dave?

clubber
    Free Member

Quite possibly 🙂 I think they maybe got a bit too enamoured with being in power though and the Tories have rather cleverly painted them into the corner, occassionally throwing them some food to keep them going while they keep painting the floor.

Politicians looking after their own self interest – who’d have thought…

mcboo
    Free Member

Fair enough boys, I guess there is something in there for everyone to embrace, I’m all for ending the war on drugs, and church and state is in the constitution thanks to T.Jefferson and others.

Thanks for replying at length kimbers but tbh you are a long way from

I stand by

maybe facepainting your way to a solution seems just as sensible a response as any other.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like the way that right-whingers like Flashy and McBoo scoff, but then Kimbers and Lifer come along and produce intelligent, well-tought out responses, but they can’t then respond. 😆

Thanks for replying at length kimbers but tbh you are a long way from

Ok then; your turn: Please to explain why. KTHX.

philconsequence
    Free Member

elfin, you’ve walked into the thread and picked a fight without even offering your own opinion on the list. that’s bad form in my humble opinion.

kimbers

i dont think im a long way off

more than 50% (ie most)of their demands arent just reasonable they are bleedin obvious

here we go

reasonable

6 weeks of paid vacation.
    Offer immediate, unconditional amnesty, to all undocumented residents of
    the US.
    Abolish the debt limit.
    End the ‘War on Drugs’.

not reasonable

Institute a moratorium on all foreclosures and layoffs immediately.
    Institute a 6 hour workday,Raise the minimum wage immediately to $18/hr. Create a maximum wage of $90/hr to eliminate inequality.
    Open the borders to all immigrants, legal or illegal.

ok we could argue how ive categorized a couple but the balance is clearly in the favour of the occupy movement being in the right and the status quo in the democratic land of the free is anything but

wrecker
    Free Member

Actually CFH raises one of the most valid points IMHO.

My only issues with kimbers reasonable list are

Open the borders to all immigrants, legal or illegal.

Unrealistic.

This would result in carnage on an epic scale.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think most of the demands are reasonable and achievable. If people put greed and selfishness to one side. Which right-whingers can’t.

That do yer? 🙂

Actually CFH raises one of the most valid points IMHO.

He does not in any way, actually. He’s just thrown in the stock right-whingers response, without actualy thinking about it.

mcboo
    Free Member

We’re having a nice chat with a hint of whimsy and then I’m a scoffing, whinging right-winger.

Go away you little turd.

binners

😯

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Instead of resorting to childishness, why not instead focus that energy in challenging Kimbers’ and Lifer’s views?

You might get more out of it. Insulting me, well, just makes me laugh tbh.

wrecker
    Free Member

He does raise a very valid point, stock or not.

kimbers

well assuming you go with my idea of reasonable and not then youd be saving a tone of cash

end costly war on drugs, tax them out the arse!
    public healthcare costs us roughly half what it costs the us taxpayer
    death row is very expensive
    withdraw from iraq and afgahnistan would save millions

and so on

right ive got a really long and dull risk assesment to write so im not gonna post any more

edit yeah i got the borders one and the amnesty one the wrong way round

thebunk

There isn’t much on the sensible list that will cost a lot. Some of it will save money. Flashy pays for the rest.

[edit]wot kimbers said. Again.[/edit]

philconsequence
    Free Member

everyone’s entitled to their own opinions, just seemed bad form to start pick a fight in your first post on a thread tis all.

miketually
    Free Member

not reasonable

Some of the “not reasonable” aren’t that bad, really:

Institute a 6 hour workday

When you’ve not got full employment, does it not make sense for those in work to ‘bunk over’ and let some others in?

The numbers might not be right, but the well paid have certainly seen their income increase faster than the poorly paid. Some redress of that isn’t too unreasonable.

Increase Social Security benefits.

I’d need to know more about the US Social Security benefits to comment on this.

Offer immediate, unconditional amnesty, to all undocumented residents of the US.

Make em legal, protect their welfare and tax their income.

Institute a negative income tax

This is working families tax credits, isn’t it?

tax the very rich at rates up to 90%

Again, the figure might be a little high, but the sentiment’s not too wacky.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

like any civilised country on the planet and the uk

Yeah, look at those second world nations like Switzerland, Finland and Canada?

xiphon
    Free Member

Are you the Peoples’ Front of Judea?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SPLITTER!

binners

The Peoples’ Front of Judea?

**** OFF!!!

We’re the Judeans Peoples Front!!

The Peoples’ Front of Judea?…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Occupy Wall Streets list of demands – Major ROFLMAO reporting for duty.’ is closed to new replies.