Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Occupations where competence is a rarity, let's 'ave 'em
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

Cabinet Minister – how many of them have a relevant qualification?

somouk
    Free Member

Working in IT as a consultant I am utterly bemused at how some people get their jobs and how much money they get when they have very little knowledge or understanding of even basic principles.

Don’t get me wrong there are still some people out there running their A game and it’s often refreshing to work with them!

I’m also with the people saying MOD store people. Some are excellent, especially the ones that trade in biscuits, others can be a pain!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Doctors (GPS) and teachers – overpaid self serving bellends the lot of them.

MSP

Thanks for the reminder somouk.

Consultants!

anagallis_arvensis

Why teachers?

obviously I’m great but many are rubbish and the standard of new entrants to the profession seems to be dropping… Or maybe I’ve just had a bad day.

MoreCashThanDash

Can you lay off MoD stores people – I was the best equipped boy scout in the district!

Actually, most of my kit was US National Guard kit, for reasons that I never really understood. But I had the coolest watch EVER!

TheFlyingOx

Any position at the DVLA.
    Had Dante written his stories in this day and age there would have been a 10th Circle of Hell, populated entirely by vacant, obtuse, rude, incompetent, clueless, toothless, feckless, jobsworths who used to work at the DVLA. Their punishment would involve sending in yet another form C346/2, 2 passport photos and a cheque for £25 in return for a Hell ID, that never arrives and no-one has any record of receiving, despite them having posted special delivery, then repeating the process for an eternity.

honeybadgerx

Quantity Surveyors

SD-253
    Free Member

Arghhhh now I remember some real top of range ars* ****s. Television licencing. My licence came up for renewal I was away from home told them there was no telly there. Still backdated payment eventhough they said they wouldn’t. No that’s not incompetent that’s just lying.

shinglespeed
    Free Member

Time estimate manager

Endura custom clothing

brooess
    Free Member

Management generally. It would help if people were given management roles because they showed an aptitude for management, rather than an aptitude for being good at their own job/playing the corporate game.

+1 for Marketing. Way too many blaggers/people who chose it as a career because they couldn’t think of doing anything else and as a result have no professional pride in a job well done. Which is a shame because Marketing done well keeps customers happy and earns the shareholders a tonne of cash…

Oh and and PPI salesmen. If they were any good at selling that stuff they wouldn’t have had to mis-sell it!

aracer
    Free Member

Top Gear presenter

fasthaggis

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned baggage handlers 🙄

🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

Police

Also, thieves.

RustySpanner

Oh yeah…..

globalti
    Free Member

Police officers can get away with incompetence because 50% of the public are massively relieved to see them and the other 50% massively depressed so whatever they do makes them either clever saints or clever barstewards.

I’ll add anybody who works in local authorities – too incompetent to get a job in industry or business.

Coyote
    Free Member

Employees of HMRC.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Operations Managers.

Incompetent hobnobbers.

floki
    Free Member

HR
    The people who run Eastern Airways flight scheduling.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Fluffers. If they were any good at their job, they wouldn’t be in it.

pondo

Working in IT as a consultant I am utterly bemused at how some people get their jobs and how much money they get when they have very little knowledge or understanding of even basic principles.

Don’t get me wrong there are still some people out there running their A game and it’s often refreshing to work with them!
    There’s a guy who sits opposite me, I don’t know if he’s actually in charge of his team, but he’s the sole go-to person any time there’s a question on their product. All day it’s “Ian, can you have a look at this?”, or “Ian, how do I do this?” – the man has the patience of a saint.

beagle
    Free Member

Anybody who works in local authorities Globalti?!

I don’t, but know a hat full who work with the disabled, the poor, the elderly etc etc for peanuts, because that’s what they want to do. We should take our hats off to a fair chunk of them.

Getting a job in industry or business is what we should all aspire to? I worked in the City for a decade and saw some major incompetence there. Strange that.

unknown
    Free Member

The public sector.

Spin
    Free Member

The public sector.

It’s not just the people it’s the systems.

alfabus
    Free Member

<software industry content>

Security Architects – give me a bloody answer! any answer will do… you are the architect; give me some input on the design. I know that all you are waiting to do is to look at the finished code and tell me that it is not secure in some esoteric/imagined scenario, or that it is overkill, so why don’t you get involved at the start and tell me what you’ll need for accreditation <breathe/>.

Testers – 95% of you are morons. Those who aren’t are worth their weight in gold, but those of you who need simple concepts explaining over and over again need to be put out to pasture (and yes, I know that that was how you became a tester in the first place).

</software industry content>

Dave

onehundredthidiot

People on the internet, yes I see the irony of that statement.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Anyone who works in NHS accounts payable. Jesus they’re inept.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Web ‘designers’ & most pr agency personnel
    Too many teachers
    Beaurocats
    Politicians
    TV Presenters
    Red Top ‘journalists’
    I could go on, and on, and on.
    I’m going need to use The Great Wall of China come the revolution.

freeagent
    Free Member

MOD stores operatives is a good shout – we deliver regularly to Navy Stores and had one guy last year refusing to accept it was his signature on the DHL POD…

otherwise, the current crop of Navy Mechanical Engineers…

SD-253
    Free Member

. beagle – Member
    Anybody who works in local authorities Globalti?!

I don’t, but know a hat full who work with the disabled, the poor, the elderly etc etc for peanuts, because that’s what they want to do. We should take our hats off to a fair chunk of them.

How about those who work in children’s services. Adoption And fostering for instance?
    You can’t foster/adopt this child because you are white and the child is black?
    You can not foster/adopt this black child despite already fostering a dozen and being of the appropriate colour because your religious beliefs does not allow you to make positive remarks about gays but your happy not to make negative remarks?
    How about you cannot foster a child despite already successfully fostering 8 (some of foreign descent) because you are a member of UKIP and therefore must be a racist.
    And of course the huge fall in adoption and fostering created by the little Hitlers who work for the council.
    They may appear to be working for peanuts relative to someone who worked in the city :mrgreen: but in reality they are grossly overpaid.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d say that if a recruiter is still in a job, as it’s a commission based and performance driven role, he MUST be competent. He may upset you, not make you feel special and maybe not even find you a job, but he must be finding people jobs and generating fees or else he’d be sacked quick sharp.

Maybe, but it’s not a difficult job.

Person A (and A.2, A.3, A.4) really wants a job.
    Person B really wants someone to do a job.

Person C has somehow managed to convince both of them that in return for large sums of cash they can find the other. It’s the only sales job in history where both sides want the same thing!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I feel sorry for those who work in adoption and fostering services. It has to be a job with one of the hardest sets of decisions to make. Yet, they get idiots on the internet spouting all kinds of the most generalised shite about them I’ve read.

ElVino

If incompetence is the rule in teaching I must be very very lucky, three school aged kids and only of them has had what could be called a poor teacher for 1 year. I have however seen 3 very poor deputy heads. Dep Head seems to be schools version of the Dilbert Principle

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Just because I’m currently in the process of selling and buying a property; estate agents for me. All but one or two have been utterly useless. Really do little more than unlocking the front door to a property.

I asked a series of very simple questions about a property I viewed at the weekend

“What is the vendors situation?”
    “I don’t know unfortunately”
    “Well have they found somewhere or going into rented?”
    “No idea, sorry”
    “Is there gas in the village?”
    “Hmmmmm I’m not sure to be honest”
    “I presume it’s oil for this property then?”
    “It might be. Can you see an oil tank?”
    “It will be in the back garden if there is”
    “Oh I don’t have a back door key”

….and so on.

funkrodent

andyrm – Member

I’d say that if a recruiter is still in a job, as it’s a commission based and performance driven role, he MUST be competent. He may upset you, not make you feel special and maybe not even find you a job, but he must be finding people jobs and generating fees or else he’d be sacked quick sharp.

As thisisnotaspoon says above, this is really only a case of the incoherent selling to the incompetent. A marriage made in heaven.

El Vino – Member

If incompetence is the rule in teaching I must be very very lucky, three school aged kids and only of them has had what could be called a poor teacher for 1 year. I have however seen 3 very poor deputy heads. Dep Head seems to be schools version of the Dilbert Principle

I’ll second that. Two primary age kids in a relatively inner city school and all their teachers (bar one) have been great. The management (and the Deputy Heads in particular) have been shocking. Many great teachers out there, but a lot of them seem to go school/university/school. As a result they have no real understanding of the world outside of education and become institutionalised very quickly.

Years ago, played as a ringer in end of year footie match at teacher mate’s school. School leavers v masters. Was akin to Monty Python, teachers fouling left, right and centre, referee (teacher) biased beyond belief. Even then teachers required a highly dubious penalty to sneak it 4-3. Afterwards I was told that next year’s school discipline depended on the result (very rough inner London comp). If the teachers lost it didn’t bear thinking about… 😯

konabunny
    Free Member

unknown – Member
    The public sector.

Yeah, them. Also – the private sector too.

winston_dog
    Free Member

More MoD storekeepers tales – A full set of Commercial diving equipment ended up in Afghan for 2 months. When returned the “waterproof” pelicase containing the surface electronic comms panels was full of water.

“Lost” a 40′ trailer load of heavy rigging equipment when transporting from Devon to Scotland. It never, ever, turned up!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Don’t know their exact job title but the people who estimate what large public projects are going to cost always seem to massively under estimate the actual cost.

ononeorange

Politicians without any hesitation.

gmex619
    Free Member

Safestyle.

Close this thread now.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Occupations where competence is a rarity, let's 'ave 'em’ is closed to new replies.