Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Occasional STW book club thread – what ya reading?
  • mogrim

avdave2 – Member
    Just finished The snail and the whale…..
    Good but I think Room on the Broom is even better.

Sorry, you’re wrong.

The sea snail slithered all over the rock
    And gazed at the sea and the ships in the dock.
    And as she gazed she sniffed and sighed.
    “The sea is deep and the world is wide!

The poetry, the pathos!

Currently reading: Game of Thrones, Programming in Scala, Cloud Atlas and A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century.

Just finished rereading The Stand, fancied a bit of easy reading plague-filled supernatural horror.

mogrim

Almost finished Great North Road – Peter Hamilton ..it’s not bad, bit of a page turner.

Worth getting then? I liked the rest of his stuff, hardly literature but fun escapist SF.

This is being read in tandem with Postgres 9.0 High Performance – which is not recommended for a bit of light reading.

I think I’ll finish the Scala book first, not particularly light either.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Just read The Lost Army of Cambyses – Paul Sussman. Good page turner similar to Dan Brown

Now reading Animal Farm

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ro5ey
    Free Member

After seeing the thread last week on The Road, I picked it up yday

100 pages in and stuggling to put it down. Knew I’d like it, after watching the film recently and the views of you guys last week.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Kok and Tvatt: Through Scandinavia on a Tandem by Neil Gander.
    “There were two doors in the service block on the campsite at Kukkola. On the left door was written the word ‘Kök’, and on the right it said ‘Tvätt’. This meant ‘Kitchen’and ‘Laundry’, and not, as we had concluded, ‘Gents’ and ‘Ladies.'”

Also highly recommend ‘Ready Player One’ by Ernest Cline.
    As soon as I finished it I went straight back to the start and read it again.

smett72

Just finished ‘Polity Agent’ by Neal Asher

2tyred

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo, written between WW1 and WW2 but probably asssociated more with Vietnam.

mogrim – agreed on Snail and The Whale! By far and away my favourite on the kids’ bookshelves. Lyrically it makes me think of The Tay Bridge Disaster by William McGonagall, cruelly derided as Scotland’s worst poet.

wl
    Free Member

Ro5ey and other CM fans, try reading William Gay – similar kind of thing from a less well known author. Twilight, Provinces of Night and The Long Home are all excellent.

DavidB
    Free Member

Mogrim – definitely worth it as it is mahoosive and the first SF I have read with Geordies in it

stever
    Free Member

If you go to the British Library you can read On the Road for free! Remarkable typed manuscript on a massive piece of paper. It’s 120′ long!
    For fun I’m reading one of Nesbo’s Nordic noirs and a book about web traffic.

GregMay
    Free Member

About half way through Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Very hard reading, not for the content, but the style of writing requires slowing down and thinking.

Had finished Neuromancer the week before…so quite a shift!

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Labyrinth of Osiris – Paul Sussman. It’s fiction based on fact, bit India Jones’ish but more involved with accurate accounts of the peoples, cities (past and present) and archaeological treasure hunting..

I like stuff like this so if anyone has something they’d like to recommend, go ahead.

Sitting on the shelf are David Millars and Tyler Hamiltons books.

loum
    Free Member

andeh
    …Now on to Catch 22, for the first time, and really enjoying it.
    On the list for the future: The Rum Diaries and the 3rd installment of Spike Milligan’s war memoirs, though the name escapes me.

If you enjoy Catch 22 and like Spike Milligan, look out for Puckoon. It reads a bit like a Milligan version of Catch 22 but set in Ireland; it’s about the positioning of the border.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Link to interview with Ready Player One author Ernest Cline including Delorean give-away and Top Gear style challenge.

organic355
    Free Member

stanfree
    Free Member

I recently read ‘Shadows in the wind’ by Carlos Ruiz Zafon which was excellent and helped that I was in holiday in Barcelone at the time. Just finished the Pantani and Tyler Hamilton books which are both good as well.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami – not his best TBH but still a good read.

stanfree
    Free Member

Just starting “Brave new world” by Aldous Huxley

I’ve heard this charts the bizarre activity inside ‘Yodagoats’ Heid.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Half way through…

Wasp – Eric Frank Russell

RustySpanner

Just finished ‘Who Would Fardels Bear?’ by Edward Reardon.

There aren’t any bears in it, which is disappointing.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Just got Danny Baker’s autobiography, Going to sea in a sieve.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Possibly the strangest book I’ve ever read. I can’t imagine what the end is going to be like.

shooterman

I’m about half way through Voluntary Simplicity by Duane Elgin. I’m finding it very lazily written and I don’t know if I will get to the end.

mightymule
    Free Member

Veterinary Notes for Cat Owners 🙁

Concurrent with David Starkey’s Monarchy

lister

Just finished autobiogs by Bob Mould and Tim Burgess…Bob seems to know what he’s done in the past a whole lot more than Tim, but Tim blew cocaine up his mates arses so I think they’ve both done some strange stuff.

Just back to back read the first 2 Hunger Games books, waiting for Mrs Lister to finish the 3rd…lots of plot holes but I want to know how it’ll all end up.

Littlelister#1 has just got into my Church Mice books that I had as a boy, they are great!
    Snail and the Whale is my favourite too…

tang
    Free Member

Just finished ‘River of smoke’ by Amitav Ghosh.. He does a very good historical novel. Now reading ‘Among the Dervishes’ by O.M.Burke, great book.

Albanach
    Free Member

Just finished Cobras In The Rough by Grant Gordon and found that to be pretty interesting. I’m now reading Notes From A Big Country by Bill Bryson for about the 3rd time.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Started but didn’t finish 150 Watts of Awesome by some bint who is right up herself. I just couldn’t stand her any more by page 97!
    Just finished, in less than 24 hours, The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton to get a very different perspective on the whole Lance thing. Well written and makes you wonder if you would just swallow the pills because every one else is doing it.

psling
    Free Member

Not long finished The Lewis Man by Peter May [having previously read The Blackhouse, the 1st of a trilogy of which The Lewis Man is the 2nd book]. Very enjoyable and you can lose yourself in the atmosphere he creates in his descriptions of The Western Isles.

Currently reading Victoria Pendleton’s [auto]biography.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Albanach – Member

Just finished Cobras In The Rough by Grant Gordon and found that to be pretty interesting. I’m now reading Notes From A Big Country by Bill Bryson for about the 3rd time.

“I’m from Iowa. Well, someone has to be…” 😆

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Occasional STW book club thread – what ya reading?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts