Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Obsessive cleaning
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

My bike usually looks like a mud bomb hit it, I do keep the moving parts clean and well oiled but I figure the rest of it.. meh..It's just going to get filthed up again.

Yesterday while out and about I couldn't help but notice all these really, really clean bikes and riders which in light of the conditions seemed odd?

What's that all about, I'm I once again behind the curve?

coogan
    Free Member

Nah. Some like to clean them with a tooth brush. Some don't. Simple really.

druidh
    Free Member

I find that riding in snow results in a very clean bike.

coogan
    Free Member

And what druid sez.

takisawa2

Hose off if its really bad.
    Apart from that just keep bits oiled.

tazzymtb

I have clean bike OCD, even after the crappiest of night rides I'll still clean the bike, check wear of pads etc.. and lube up (it does get me quite excited) so it's ready for the next ride in tip top condition.

Funnily enough it's always mates that don't look after their kit so well that suffer with poor gear changes, broken chains and general breakdowns 20 miles from the F**kin car up a mountain.

I find buffing my big stiff one* rather relaxing

*29er single speed 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

Easier to hose it down after a ride as its still wet mud

or muckoff and hose quick relube 5 mins max

nickc

I clean mine after filthy winter rides, less so in the summer, I can get it from filth to showroom in about 25 minutes if I'm really pedantic.

Why?

Well, it cost me a lot of money, and I like to look after my kit, parts last longer, and I know It'll all work as it should when I go riding next time.

andrewh
    Free Member

I might have a bit of OCD too.

Race bike- complete strip down and rebuild after every ride
    HT- thorough (sp?) clean after every ride
    DH bike- thorough (sp?) clean after every ride
    Road bike- thorough clean after wet ride, brief clean after dry
    TT bike- thorough clean after wet ride, brief clean after dry
    SS/comuter- last cleaned properly in Dec 2008… Braking surfaces wiped and chain lubed every so often. New brake pads/tyres fitted when they wear out. Turned the hose on it today, then lubed, 5mins.

Neither my current car nor my previous one have ever been washed.

With the race bike it's not so much the cleanliness that's the issue, but a thorough cleaning gives the chance to inspect every little bit of it, can be crucial (found a large scratch/small crack on previous race bike which LBS x-rayed at local RAF based and found to be a crack. Wouldn't have noticed it under even one ride's dirt. Top marks to Marin's warrenty dept. New frame in a month)

Nick, showroom in 25mins? I'm looking at 4hrs min for the race bike, that's if it's just a clean with nothing needing fixing.

solamanda
    Free Member

I give my bikes a wash every (dirty) ride. Mainly down to the fact there is a good chance one bike might not get used for a few weeks/months and its never good leaving a bike sitting in a mud caked state. Also a quick hose down and chain clean takes under 10mins if the mud is still wet.

scaredypants
    asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I clean the bike after every ride if it's caked in gloopy mud. It's part of being allowed to keep my bike in the house 😛

obirobkeno
    Free Member

I just hose it down, quick lube if I know I'm riding again within a few days. If I know I'm not riding for a week, or if it's been particularly filthy, full clean. Bike gets a complete strip, clean, inspection, lube and rebuild every couple of months. 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've always thought ditry = uncared for = poorly maintained.

And it has to be said there's evidence to back this up…..
    Personally, I've found a snapped chainstay and a snapped steerclamp bolt when cleaning my bikes.
    I'm not obsessive, and don't clean my bikes every ride, but mostly I do

jam-bo

Our man Joe at Santa Cruz bikes says:

"Stop washing your bike so much. We did some experiments with bikes that were washed a lot but ridden infrequently, bikes that were ridden a lot but washed infrequently, and bikes that were both washed and ridden a lot. Guess what? Your bike hates only being washed and not being ridden. This test group had the worst results. They became creaky and not much fun to be around, much like the people who own bikes like that. Don't get all angry (you know who you are), you can still wash your bike from time to time – and there are those times where it has to be done after every ride. Everything needs more attention during those times. BUT, maybe you should examine your priorities. It's a mountain bike. You can get dirt on it. It's OK."

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Our man Joe at Santa Cruz bikes says:

And what the hell do the Americans know about REAL filth? 8)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, bike cleaning OCD here. It's usually cleaner after each session than the time before. It cost me lots so I like to look after it, parts last longer and it helps me spot issues before they become problems.

Plus the wife will then let it in the house if needs be.

juan
    Free Member

at the moment I clean/dry/lub/check/polish (with real car polish) the bike after each ride…

I think I'll need to calm down

nickc

I suspect by your post my difinition of showroom may differ from yours… 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think I'll need to calm down

I think you need to get a life! 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

OCD here as well.
    Hose down straight away.
    Muc-Off and disc brake cleaner applied with brush.
    Wash down with warm water.
    Air dry with a compressor
    Pick out any debris with a pick
    Lube chain inside/outside and sides with a brush
    Lube cassette
    Light lube to F & R mech, chainset and stantions and wipe off
    Check pads
    Wipe down with clean dry cloth
    All ready to go next time and never fails me.
    Takes less than 10 minutes.

EDIT; you guys must be lubing over old lube or mud?

bassspine
    Free Member

If you really had OCD you'd be cleaning the bike fifteen times before taking it out. 😛

Obsessive bike cleaning used to be described as being 'a bit anal' I can't think why the buzzword has changed…

ononeorange

Definitely not OCD here.

Point hose – quick go with brush – oil chain. Mostly looks OK afterwards, except the chain – without getting all obsessive with a toothbrush or getting one of those frankly scary-weird plastic machines with brushes inside that I find oddly unsettling, I've never found a way of getting the crap off the chain that fits my patience quotient.

jam-bo

If you really had OCD you'd be cleaning the bike fifteen times before taking it out.

you wouldnt need to clean it as you'd spend all your time checking the garage light was off.

stumpy01

My bike is generally clean 'cos I take my Dirtworker with me on most rides and give it a clean before putting it back in the car; only takes 5 mins and then a quick squirt of lube afterwards….

I found some Tesco Value microfibre cloths the other day that are quite good as well – £1.60 for 3 & good to give the bike a quick rub down with after cleaning.

I'd much rather spend time directly after a ride cleaning the bike than dragging it out of the shed a few days later when all the mud's dried on & the chain's rusting.

69er
    Free Member

Hose it off, GT85 on the chain, hang it up.

My bikes are for riding 😉

rootes1

like one of my neighbours who cleans his car so much he has polished the paint through in places lol

soobalias
    Free Member

spring clean is due for the mtbs soon

the commuter has so much oil and grime on it, it laughs at water.

scruzer
    Free Member

OCD here too. After every ride thorough wash down including all the non visible nooks and crannies. WD40 spray on bike to get at the residues and smears. This includes the tyres! (though I expect wd40 may lesson the rubber's lifespan). Usual checks and re grease/lubes as required. Bikes get stripped down as much as possible 2x year usually end of winter and summer. That said the bikes live in house and last me years without unnecessary wear…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Obsessive cleaning’ is closed to new replies.