• This topic has 39 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Obsessed with Ti…
  • rewski
    Free Member

Is my craving for a superlight Ti hardtail just a result of clever marketing or are they really worth all obsessing. Whether it’s a Whyte 19, Van Nicholas, Ragley, Genesis, Charge, Litespeed, Moots, Lynskey … see I told you I was obsessed.

Help or loan advice please.

br
    Free Member

I thought this would be a ‘latest componant in Ti thread’…

Here’s what I bought this week for my 456Ti:

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=156

It is a cracking piece of kit.

And once you’ve Ti’d, no going back.

thered

Rewski – stop complaining and get a loan for more Ti stuff

BR – I’ll bet that’s got the clamping force of butter

epicsteve
    Free Member

I actually find I’ve used my Ti bike (Van Nic Zion) surprisingly little since I’ve had it.

I’m going to give it one last go by transferring all the bits from my Epic onto it (XTR, American Classic, SID Teams) this winter and seeing how it is like that – should be about 22lbs or so (the Epic is 25lbs). It’s currently got XT, Hope XC/X717 and Float F80RLT’s and is only marginally lighter than the Epic. While it’s still nice enought like that it just doesn’t seem to light my fire – or perhaps I’ve just too many bikes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

they can ride really nice but won’t change your life.

but then I’d never upgrade my skewers so what do I know.

rewski
    Free Member

OK then, which frame for XC running 120 fork?

rewski
    Free Member

epicsteve – let me know when you put your Van Nic on ebay.

br
    Free Member

BR – I’ll bet that’s got the clamping force of butter

Agreed I did have these concerns too, but I’ve had other MT Zoom kit and it is really well thought out. It works well, just no wasted weight anywhere on it, its quite exquisitely made.

timdrayton
    Free Member

I really liked my enigma and it was silly light, but i spent so much money on it i was scared to bloody ride the thing, which was quite stupid really

epicsteve
    Free Member

epicsteve – let me know when you put your Van Nic on ebay.

More likely it’ll go up the back of the garage with the rest of my “one day I’ll get round to it” frames.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Brodie ti holeshot, runs up to 140mm. A customer of mine us running 120mm fox and he likes it 🙂

Starrman28
    Free Member

I have a VN Zion which i really like, not as fast when you stomp on the pedals as the stumper HT I had previous but a much nicer ride & still a quick bike. I’d be interested to know if the more expensive ti frames actually ride any better.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Brant has a Ti Piglet in the making.

Hadge
    Free Member

I no longer own this as I had to sell due to an injury but this has always been my favourite build of any bike I’ve ever done and one of the best riding too. Fabulous build quality from a proper US Merlin made Oreas with nice bling bits like Tune hubs, XTR, X0, Avid Ultimates, Easton EC90 etc etc. So wish I still had it but guess it was just one of those things. Always gets lots of complimentary comments too which is always pleasing 🙂

djflexure

Had a Zion and Epic as well but found that I preferred the Zion in almost every way. I almost forget about the bike – fits well and does everything I need. Cost seems to be the major issue. Mine was good value second hand. Not really sure they are worth double or triple and equivalent steel frame.

Hadge
    Free Member

I definitely agree on whether they are worth double or triple an equivalent steel frame which was why I couldn’t resist my Merlin for £600 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

Si, you are evil.

Got any left in my size?

nscott
    Free Member

have a Ti charge duster as a race bike, a cove hummer as a all round do it all bike with longer travel forks and am currently selling a van nic zion on this site, selling the zion as ive been running it single speed, opted for a carbon ibis tranny as a replacement, time will tell if its as good a frame as my ti frame……..

si-wilson
    Free Member

Metalheart, might have 😉

I have one 17″ that would fit you perfectly!

metalheart
    Free Member

hmm.

YGM

amplebrew

I love my Litespeed Obed and I’m currently waiting for my Potts Ti mtb frame to get built.

I suppose for me, the attraction to Ti is that the finish looks really cool, it’s easy to look after and I like the ride of Ti.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Hadge – that Merlin is sweet……..you must have shed a tear letting that go

goosander
    Free Member

rewski – I’ve just ordered a 456 Ti frame so I’ll be selling my 18″ Airborne Lancaster Ti frame soon, its the same bike as a VN Zion. If you are interested let me know.

haggis1978

I have a Kent Eriksen and absolutely love it. Had a few Ti bikes now and there’s no going back, ride is fantastic and its a bike for life. Amplebrew we need to see that Potts when you get it! 😈 😀

That Merlin looks super as well

amplebrew

haggis1978 – Amplebrew we need to see that Potts when you get it!

I reckon it’ll be a few months off yet 🙁

It’s all ordered and paid for, just waiting for my turn 🙂

It’s going to be fully rigid with a Potts Type 2 fork 8)

This is my Litespeed Ti

haggis1978

Hopefully we can feed your obsession a bit here Rewski 😈

can someone help me with posting a link from flickr?

cinnamon_girl

Another happy Litespeed (Ocoee) owner here. 8)

bloodynora
    Free Member

bloodynora
    Free Member

bloodynora
    Free Member

Got there eventually!

Happy to indulge by the way 🙂

haggis1978

bol

I’m on my second Ti frame. I swapped from a custom Occoee to a Cotic Soda because it was more versatile. It also illustrates that not all ti bikes feel the same. The Cotic is springier and generally feels more fun, if not quite as quick. It’s in it’s sweet spot at 120mm too.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I no longer own this as I had to sell due to an injury

Why would you sell a bike because you are injured?

chemister

Building up a Whyte 19ti at the moment.
    Do Ti frames need much frame protection, noticed one or two chain stay guards on the pics above, any thoughts?

Hadge
    Free Member

Simple KINGTUT, it looked like I was going to have to stop riding altogether! So why have an expensive bike like that just to look at? Doh.

goosander
    Free Member

Ti is a hard metal, so it doesn’t pick up chain marks the same way aluminium does but I’d still recommend at least minimal chainstay protection. If nothing else, it makes for a quieter ride on rough terain.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Here’s my Van Nic:

amplebrew

goosander – Member
    Ti is a hard metal, so it doesn’t pick up chain marks the same way aluminium does but I’d still recommend at least minimal chainstay protection. If nothing else, it makes for a quieter ride on rough terain.

I’ve got Frame Wrap from Biketart around both chainstays on my Litespeed Obed.

lock
    Free Member

i always wondered about ti to so thought best way to find out is just do it,you wont be dissapointed

they do feel better,and i like the idea of having a bike with whatever parts you want on it( weight wise) and the bike still being light

i am a serious bikes though but next time i by a new bike i will always consider the ti version now ,if u can afford why not

bol

I use a chainstay protector because unless you run singlespeed or are the gentlest of mincers, the chain will rattle. It’s not pretty, but it is practical. Having said that, if anyone finds a pretty chainstay protector, let me know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Obsessed with Ti…’ is closed to new replies.