Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Obree – total genius
  • Big-Dave
    Free Member
    Taff
    Free Member

It looks scary to ride that’s for sure. I’m a little cynical about how he will get the record on those wheels but the guy is a genius and knows what he’s doing so fingers crossed.

z1ppy

<awaits video of face & tarmac interfacing>
    … Scary looking, and what size wheels are they?
    Shirely they’ll be open revolt about this on here due to that..
    (I have no idea what the background is to this)

Big-Dave
    Free Member

He intends to get up to 100mph on it once a fairing has been made. The videos of him making the bike in his kitchen have been very entertaining.

fourbanger
    Free Member

As much as I really want this to work, I’ve got a horrible feeling he’s just lost the plot. I’m hoping to be proven wrong.

z1ppy

MMMmm’ok 😯

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

i’d of thought resting on your chest in very condusive to good breathing.

but good luck to him, legend.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

100mph lying on your chest with your face a few inches from the tarmac.

Sounds like fun.

mike_p
    Free Member

Only about 95mph to go then… seems a long way off

bencooper
    Free Member

Hey, he bought those tyres from me! 🙂

It’s an interesting design – prone recumbents have been about for a while but have never had that much success, it’ll be interesting to see if this is any different, and the linear drive is neat too.

(as an aside, it always puzzles me when people want to know how recumbents and folders can be fast with small wheels – my reply is that if wheel size mattered then tractors would be faster than F1 cars)

ski
    Free Member

Hey, he bought those tyres from me!

Were they rated for doing 100mph? 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Correction: never seen ’em before in my life 🙂

richmtb

I don’t think I’d attempt to do 100mph on a pushbike along Saltcoats promenade thats for sure

racefaceec90

is he pedaling a type of treadle system? the guy is a hero of mine,if anyone can break the record he can 😀 good luck mr obree 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like the guy , id even say he is a hero of mine but on this one im on the doubting side of the fence .

But he is insane thats why i like him and for that id love to see him triumph.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, in reality he’s not got much chance of breaking the record, but brilliant to see him give it a go.

messiah
    Free Member

That is cool… bunnet off to the man.

TiRed

Looks like a Prone from the 1990’s with narrower bars and bigger gears. I once lay on the original at the Bike Show in Earls Court. Wasn’t allowed to test it though. But Chapeau.

Woody
    Free Member

Good luck to him and I’d love it to work but……..

…..the power requirement from prone + inevitable problems with stability and breathing make me less than optimistic. When I think what it’s like to be tucked behind a fairing on a relatively stable motorbike at that speed without trying to pedal it too, I would have to say the odds of success are not good.

DaveRambo

Whether he breaks the record isn’t really the point of what he’s doing.
    It’s about questioning existing thinking and having a go.

People laughed at his original pursuit bike when he rode against Chris Boardman – he beat Boardman and became world champion breaking the world record twice. Indeed he changed cycling to the point where the governing body banned his design.

He may well be bonkers but many people who have changed history have had the same thing said about them.

I think he’s brilliant – he thinks/obesses about what he does, makes his own equipment, uses his imagination and does it on his own on a very small budget.

sunnrider
    Free Member

@DaveRambo
    Totally agree. Doesn´t matter if he gets records or not, he´s a genius.

I´d be much happier listening to what he´d have to say during the tdf commentary rather than Boardman.

cupra
    Free Member

I like the guy , id even say he is a hero of mine but on this one im on the doubting side of the fence .

But he is insane thats why i like him and for that id love to see him triumph.

My thoughts exactly 🙂

feenster
    Free Member

rather than Boardman

Is it just me or does boardman have nothing to say? The guy admitted that when he wore yellow he didn’t really appreciate what it meant. So why are ITV4 using him as a pundit?

Sory thread hijack.

Woody
    Free Member

I think he’s brilliant ……. makes his own equipment, uses his imagination and does it on his own on a very small budget.

I agree and I can’t understand why he is not funded by the likes of Andrex and Daz both of which I need just watching him ride that!

ski
    Free Member

I respect the guy too, its amazing what he has achived and what he has had to contend with.

Quick question, why did he mount the brackets to pedal with, so high up on the bike?

I would have thought it would have been easier to pedal, with a foot position lower to the ground?

Not that I have the first clue about bike science 😥

Woody
    Free Member

Aerodynamics innit .

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the fairing is like, but usually you try to have a relatively high tail to reduce ground-effect drag.

convert

It is commonly agreed by the chattering classes that we need to fund the arts from state coffers “for the good of the community”. I’d offer Mr Obree as another superb recipient of national funding just to keep us all amused/amazed/proud to be part of an eccentric nation!

When the nation’s leaders get too stressed out with out economic and political worries they could toddle off to Graham’s kitchen and reset their does-it-all-really-matter settings.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve just seen a video of the Dutch teams effort!
    Aerodynamic carbon fibre unit powered by an ex world class speedskater and accomplished cyclist Jan Bos (brother of Rabobank pro Theo)

Against a crazy Scotsman on a bike made of old pans 😯

They havent got a chance! 😀

DaveRambo

Is it just me or does boardman have nothing to say? The guy admitted that when he wore yellow he didn’t really appreciate what it meant. So why are ITV4 using him as a pundit?

Who else would you have?

He’s been a professional cyclist, rode a few tours, wore the yellow jersey, works in pro cycling, understands what it’s all about, is very media savy.

That’s rather a lot of boxes ticked.

I don’t really mind him – Your comments reminded me of Otis Dely who they got to present some of the athletics.

bencooper
    Free Member

Against a crazy Scotsman on a bike made of old pans

They havent got a chance!

Telewest lost a reported half a million quid a few years back trying to beat a bunch of guys from Canada who turned up on a pickup truck. They made the common mistake of thinking that F1 engineers are the right people to design bikes.

They got beaten by a 14-year-old girl.

surfer
    Free Member

That’s rather a lot of boxes ticked.

and he always says hello when he passes me out on the bike !

jonba
    Free Member

More niche than 650B!

Fingers a bit close to the spokes. To get that thing to 100mph is going to take balls of steel All I can see when I look at the bike is the 100s of ways it could all go very horribly wrong.

butcher

In a world blinded by science, where you can do very little without it being approved by a machine first, it would be an understatement to say it’s refreshing to see a guy weld bits of old bikes together by hand in his garage, with the intention of breaking records.

You have to take your hat off to him.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Anyway, I like the look of that house for sale at the end, anyone know where it is?

headfirst
    Free Member

re. breathing issues mentioned already, he seems to be huffing and puffing a fair bit already in the video at about 10mph, not 100mph!

Good luck to him all the same.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Watch worlds fastest indian movie

Thats the technology we are talking about here 🙂

rootes1

When the nation’s leaders get too stressed out with out economic and political worries they could toddle off to Graham’s kitchen and reset their does-it-all-really-matter settings.

He should set up a donations page so people can support him.

I would sponsor him.

damo2576
    Free Member

Forget the bike, it looks grim round there, is that up north somewhere?

rootes1

is that up north somewhere?

Saltburn

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Obree – total genius’ is closed to new replies.