Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Objecting to yellow lines
  • simmy
    Free Member

So the council want to put double yellow lines at the side of my house where I park.

They are going 15 metres in from the main road which will prevent me parking where I normally park, 10 metres from the main road as recommended in the Highway Code.

First world problem I know, but next door have 3 vehicles so it’s going to be a nightmare,

Anyone had any luck getting a compromise with the council on yellow lines ? I just think that the 10 metres in from the end will be fine and will allow 2 more vehicles to be parked than the 15 metres in.

Only other thing is the council have got the name of one of the roads wrong on the official sign regarding the scheme so I may have a trump card there…

arcadian
    Free Member

It’s outside your house, just go out at 2am and paint 5 metres of the yellow line black, then paint a new yellow end line on and you have your parking space 8)

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it’s at the consultation stage, talk to the person whose name is on the consultation letter. It actually makes no difference to them if it’s 10 or 15m. Ask them why they designed it that way and discuss with them. Don’t make it adversarial or they will win. Remember that it’s their highway, not yours despite it being outside your house.

I used to do this for a living (soulless job). Once extended some dyls past a chaps driveway at his request.

If they still don’t help you out, you could ask for a residents part king scheme but you may not qualify.

Finally option, be a comeplete whinging cockbag about it to the local councillor who seems to be able to override the officers design even if it goes against local policy, government guidance, common sense or law.

They will do anything to hold on to their little bit of power.

Do try the first one though. They must have some reason for coming down that far, restrictions outside someone house are always going to cause problems. If it’s a busy and narrow road, it may be to ensure 3 cars can turn into the road without queuing on the feeder road. Their priority is to keep traffic moving safely, not to provide you with convenient parking.

simmy
    Free Member

Thanks, I will have a chat with them and see how I get on.

simmy
    Free Member

Quick update, I spoke to a guy at the council, explained my feelings as above and he seemed pretty relaxed about ” trimming ” the lines back to 10 metres.

He asked me to put it in writing so I have done.

Onza, another question please, my neighbour works nights and parks where the yellows are going to go. Will they give us a date that they are going to paint them or just turn up ? His van is there all day so will prevent them from painting the lines, which would be terrible 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t they cone it off in readiness for doing the work? Otherwise they would never line any roads!

kcal

I’ve had the guys out measuring for the yellow lines, and have as above found them very receptive – they also were putting them past our driveway, when I proposed they stop short of the driveway (allowing us to – usually – park across it) they were grand.

simmy
    Free Member

Update 7 months on…….

There has been nothing till yesterday when some white paint appeared showing where the lines are going to end and they are going to be at 10 metres as I asked for in my letter to the council so I’m happy with that.

Neighbour has been parking his van elsewhere for months so the lines will be going down soon.

Thanks to Onzadog for your advice, cheers mate.

stumpy01

Woooh! Nice to hear about a good result!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Personally round my way I want more yellow lines. It’s the junctions that are a nightmare. No lines at all and people park on the corners despite not supposed to. Can’t see round them, entrance to road blocked on one side by cars on the corner, though it’s single width down the road anyway with the parking now. People parking half on the path and double park on the road.

I’m a NIMBY of course, I have off road parking, but I like to moan about it 😀

and 3 cars? !! 😉

Anyway, more seriously… white lines. I’m seeing many places now with single white lines marked where yellows would be, and end markers on them. Never too sure if these have any legal enforcement for parking there. There’s one road I like to park on to get to local trails, big wide road and all nice houses with their own parking. There’s no issue with parking there, but white lines have appeared on all the stretches between houses.

aracer
    Free Member

Though of course any double yellow lines will make no difference at all to the legality of any of that. It may make a difference to the enforcement if your council enforces parking on yellow lines (as they won’t enforce parking next to junctions), but that assumes there will be any enforcement. When we had issues here with builders from the new development parking on corners nobody got ticketed despite the police being called in – though we did get traffic cones, which they sometimes didn’t move.

Enforcement is the big issue – the developers were supposed to provide sufficient parking on site for all vehicles, but even when we got the police, local council and county council highways round the table together they still all sloped their shoulders (the police refused to enforce other breaking of the highway laws, and the site has been in breach of one of the conditions relating to highways for over a year without the council taking any action).

philjunior
    Free Member

I once had my car parked up whilst I was away for a week or so with work. When I came back there had been a bus stop painted around my car (i.e. the line stopped at the back, restarted in front of the car – or actually impressively far under the bumpers as it happened). I was always tempted to park there after that, knowing it was custom sized for my car.

There were no signs or cones up when I left!

Don’t go away in late March, people.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Objecting to yellow lines’ is closed to new replies.