Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Objecting to lasting power of attorney
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

I am thinking of objecting to lasting power of attorney that my sister has over my father as I am concerned that she may be abusing the responsibility due to her lifestyle and wealth management documents I had sight of. She also does not want to share any responsibility for my father and has distanced people close to my father. Although I am estranged from my father and sister I am very concerned for his well being as he has Alzheimers and he is in hospital needing rehab as he is confused, not walking and in a very bad way, he went into hospital after a fall in his home and my sister went away on holiday when he was in hospital in a very bad state. It was a friend of my fathers who informed me he was in hospital.

Anyone on here has experience objecting to lasting power of attorney.

Edit. sorry wrong forum mods please move.

cynic-al
    Free Member

To do anything you’d need to in legal I think.

No experience tho.

m0rk
    Free Member

Did you agree to the POA when it was lodged?

taxi25
    Free Member

I have lasting power of attorney over my father. His situation incredibly mirrors your fathers exactly. My brother whilst not estranged, has had nothing to do with my father for a while and only gives a passing impresion of giving a damm.
    To tell you the truth if he turned up making comments about how I dealt with my fathers affairs, wealth managment, my life style etc, he’d get the biggest get lost pill you could imagine. I’m sure you wouldn’t deserve such a reaction and only have your fathers best interests at heart, but fairly or unfairly your sisters response might be similar to mine.
    Oh yes, if you want to challenge the LPOA if its already been filed it would be time to see a lawyer

csb

Have it for my father also, shared equally with my sister though.

I think you need to contact the Office of the Public Guardian with your concerns, but assuming the Power was agreed when your father was of sound mind there has to be very clear abuses of power.

Going on holiday doesn’t count – the Attorney isn’t necessarily the carer.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

he’d get the biggest get lost pill you could imagine

Depends if you have been obstructive to the relationship as my sister has, so circumstances vary I also not interested in power of attorney myself just want to make sure she is acting in his best interests. He wanted a relationship with me but she got in the way.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Can I just say that sounds like an awful situation to be in and hope you can get it sorted. I doubt its going to be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction though.
    Makes me glad im an only child. Having siblings fighting over something so awful must be pretty distressing.
    Good luck.

cinnamon_girl

From memory, there had to be two people named on the original document who had to sign and return it to OPG, ‘vouching’ for its authenticity (sorry, can’t remember exact wording). Would either be able to help?

It’s all very distressing for you.

BigJohn

It’s not a black & white issue. And there are 2 sorts – health and finance. They’re there for a reason so you might not have the full picture.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Objecting to lasting power of attorney’ is closed to new replies.