Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize?!
  • mtbfix

Are you kidding me? The road to hell is paved with good intentions and apart from some well meaning speeches and movement in the right direction he has not actually achieved a single thing that I can see. Or is this just the usual scrum for a photo opportunity with the president?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8298580.stm

oddjob
    Free Member

I can't see that he has achieved anything but on the other hand, he has pointed the US in the right direction after Bush and I can't think of anyone else who has done anything else more concrete.

Who should have won it then?

mtbfix

Who should have won? I put my hand up and admit that I do not have any ready candidates to hand. However nobody, that I am aware of, ever won the prize for literature for planning to write a really good book or the prize for medicine because they had given thought to a cure for cancer.

Drac

From Wiki so not sure how accurate.

Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which recognize completed scientific or literary accomplishment, the Nobel Peace Prize may be awarded to persons or organizations that are in the process of resolving a conflict or creating peace.

Drac

From Noble site

Facts on the Nobel Peace Prize
    On 27 November 1895, Alfred Nobel signed his last will and testament, giving the largest share of his fortune to a series of prizes, the Nobel Prizes. As described in Nobel's will, one part was dedicated to "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses". Learn more about the Nobel Peace Prize from 1901-2008. The 2009 Nobel Prize is not yet included.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

IMO you shouldn't be able to win a peace prize while prosecuting several wars. Otherwise it's like claiming you're a virgin cos you've not done it this week yet…

mtbfix

Agreed. How can one make any serious moves toward disarming country 'X' when you are the occupying force in the neighbouring country of 'X' and supplier of arms to the nation that 'X' regard as mortal enemies? I do not doubt the man's sencerity, simply the reality.

allthepies
    Free Member

"Iz it 'cause he is black ?"

Garry_Lager

The US right wing will be taking the piss over this for years to come – unfathomable how he can receive the Nobel peace prize. There's been some comedy recipients in the past (Kissinger, Arafat etc), but also some highly-deserving – the prize still has currency.
    If there was a smooth, diplomatic way of refusing the award he should do so. Doubt that even Obama could pull that one off though. Not heard of anyone refusing the Nobel peace prize before.

mudshark
    Free Member

Shame no-one's come up with an opposite prize to this – a conflict prize for the person that's done most to encourage conflict each year. I suppose Bush would have won that a few times though I'd have voted for Bliar in the past as we should take pride in our own nation's achievements more often.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I've never understood why the Nobel Peace Prize is treated as some sort of "award from God" ….. the committee is appointed by the Norwegian parliament ffs.

Do we have as much faith in the decisions decided by a British parliament appointed committee ?

roddersrambler
    Free Member

These jokers (or should that be jerkers) are the same burks who gave Al Gore a prize under the Nobel banner for some documentry that was later found to be that full of b*llocks that a Uk court deemed it unfit for educational purposes !!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It is causing the Yankee right wing fundamentalists some pain tho' so it does have it's good points!

grievoustim
    Free Member

isn't it like a kind of nudge in the right direction?

Obama gets the prize and thinks to himself 'Yes, Peace is great and I am good at promoting it' and proceeds to do what he can to avoid conflict in the future.

He'll feel a bit silly if gets the award then starts a war with Iran for example

chunkypaul
    Free Member

utter nonsense…

i'd like world peace too… does that mean i'm going to win next year?

trailmonkey

As someone commented on the radio, all he's done is not be Bush. Obama smacks of New Labour in 97, lot's of hope, **** all else.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

He'll feel a bit silly if gets the award then starts a war with Iran for example

"IF" ?? Remember Saddam's nuclear arsenal ?

wwaswas

Didn't Americe declare war on the Moon today with a pre-emptive strike?

kerv
    Free Member

I think it was a fluffy peace bomb though cos it didn't explode.

wwaswas

'it didn't explode'

there's even unexploded American bombs on the moon now, then…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

As someone commented on the radio, all he's done is not be Bush

Good start

chewkw
    Free Member

Does a person need to win prize for doing good? Really I do not understand all the award this and that.

If he does good then good but why need to make a big deal about it? I mean is that some sort of ego tripping, balls bouncing, meat massaging or what?

Don't announce it and give the award in private in my opinion will do more good.

So what's with this good motivation award? Shite IMO. In fact all awards are shite.

The world has gone mad … the next thing you know you will be awarded for being able to drive a car.

Look at me! Look at me! Or no … look at us, look at us, we have awarded someone.

😈

mtbfix

Obama won't start war with Iran. Israel are straining at the leash and all he has to do is not stop them from bombing the nuclear sites.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bang goes the value of that then. When I win it I'll hand it back. He got it coz he's black.

chakaping
    Free Member

It's quite an achievement to get elected president of the USA when you're black though.

He must have skillz.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize?!’ is closed to new replies.