Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Obama and Guns… again.
  • GrahamS

Fair play to him for having a final crack at this before his term ends.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35239504

The measures don’t exactly seem extreme:

• Background checks for all gun sellers, overturning current exemptions to some online and gun show sellers
    • States providing information on people disqualified from buying guns due to mental illness or domestic violence
    • Increased workforce for the FBI to process background checks, hiring more than 230 new examiners
    • Congress being asked to invest $500m (£339m) to improve access to mental healthcare in the US
    • The departments of defence, justice and homeland security exploring “smart gun technology” to improve gun safety

So basically, they want to know who is selling guns, check who is buying them, explore making guns safer, and try a bit harder with mental health issues.

That doesn’t seem unreasonable. But, predictably, he is getting a kicking from the Republicans for even these small measures.

House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan said these actions “amount to a form of intimidation that undermines liberty”

I know this is old ground here and we probably don’t have anything new to add to the debate, but… SMH (as the kids say)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep he’s a communist…

kimbers

Quick, take over a bird sanctuary !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps the the only sensible option is to ban bullets…

Coyote
    Free Member

Gun lobby in America is far too strong. I wish him luck I really do but I fear he in on a hiding to nothing.

ninfan
    Free Member

If you watch the bottom video in that report it is very revealing – that the resistance to the proposal is actually about much wider issues than whether there should be checks.

It’s an interesting moment for this Damascene conversion by Obama – despite numerous massacres, despite sandy hook and aurora, he ‘finally does something’ in the last few months of his second term? Remarkable…

kimbers

Against the lunatics in congress? Come on ninfan, of course he didn’t want to spend the last few years battling then at every turn?
    It would have hamstrung every other piece of governing he tried to do

miketually
    Free Member

(Some) Americans see the number of people killed by people with guns each year as an acceptable cost for being able to relatively freely buy guns.

It seems really hard to understand until you compare it to the UK and cars. We see a couple of thousand deaths on the roads per year (plus those caused by pollution, obesity, etc) as an acceptable price to pay for the widespread use of cars.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

It seems really hard to understand until you compare it to the UK and cars. We see a couple of thousand deaths on the roads per year (plus those caused by pollution, obesity, etc) as an acceptable price to pay for the widespread use of cars.

what? 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The last trip to the states had the air of war time and fear, the constant threat/warning that the rest of the world was only seconds away from attacking was there. In many ways the fear is being manipulated and engineered by those who want to sell guns, own an arsenal or just get rid of people who aren’t white.

Just the idea that you should be armed in case you need to overthrow the government is grounds for taking them away.

ninfan
    Free Member

Just the idea that you should be armed in case you need to overthrow the government is grounds for taking them away.

Really? I hear lefties talking all the time about wanting to rebel and rise up against Cameron and the evil cuts agenda being imposed by the Tories? Surely if the government was concerned about a popular uprising it would prevent the gross abuse of a flawed democracy by those who seek to privatise and destroy the NHS?

mtbfix

what?

He’s right. Have a universal speed limit of 15mph everywhere and, chances are, no one would be killed in an rtc every again. But would you vote for it? Not even sure I would.

chambord
    Free Member

he ‘finally does something’ in the last few months of his second term? Remarkable…

He’s repeatedly raised the issue of gun control and been met with fierce opposition. I actually think it’s quite smart – try to force in some changes while he still has some power, and let Hilary deal with it at the beginning of her first term and people might have gotten over it by the time she needs to stand for a second time. Given the current republican candidates have little chance of becoming president he has nothing to lose here.

I don’t recall any teenagers near me driving cars in to school and around the hall during assembly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No idea what you are on about ninfan, UK and US both have legitimate and easy routes to effect a change of government. Ironically the US is very keen to impose this system around the world and stop armed militias running the show

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The car comparison is to take the list of things that kills or injures the most people and tick them off in order.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t recall any teenagers near me driving cars in to school and around the hall during assembly.

Clearly, the analogy was to the mindset not the actual acts.

Edit: Read American comment pieces on gun control, then read UK articles on 20MPH urban speed limits.

fasthaggis

America is a big beautiful place and I would love to go back and explore more of it,but when I see this ongoing arms debate,it feels like a lot of Americans are going to implode with distrust and paranoia.
    Put a few Trump types in charge and the madness recipe will be complete.

GrahamS

How about limiting bullets to 15mph? That should sort it.

ninfan
    Free Member

This is an unusual comment. He’s repeatedly raised the issue of gun control and been met with fierce opposition. but done nothing about it

FTFY

No idea what you are on about ninfan, UK and US both have legitimate and easy routes to effect a change of government

Which is why we still have an unelected second chamber, an unelected head of state, and the government run by millionaires in the pay of vested interests and multinational corporations?

kimbers

Check out cam zinc…..
    http://americanshootingjournal.com/tag/cam-zink/

Z I have several di?erent models, all for di?erent reasons. My daily carry is a Ruger LC9, but the trigger is a bit annoying. Other than that, I have a S&W .40-caliber handgun and .22 revolver, a Remington 20-gauge shotgun and .243 ri?e, a Tikka T3 Tactical .308, an H&K .45 and, of course, an AR-15.

Hes all about keeping his family safe 🙄

Well over 100 gun deaths in America already this year….
    http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/number-of-gun-deaths?page=2

(Above link not yet updated for last night’s deaths)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s called politics ninfan pick your battles. He has had to force massive stuff through none of which would have happened if he had done gun control earlier.

chambord
    Free Member

It’s called politics ninfan pick your battles. He has had to force massive stuff through none of which would have happened if he had done gun control earlier.

E.g. Look at what he’s had to deal with to make any progress on health care

kimbers

Really? I hear lefties talking all the time about wanting to rebel and rise up against Cameron and the evil cuts agenda being imposed by the Tories? Surely if the government was concerned about a popular uprising it would prevent the gross abuse of a flawed democracy by those who seek to privatise and destroy the NHS?

Eh????

I think even you know you are on shaky ground here if you are coming up with ransoms like this

Guns are designed to kill people, America has lots of them, which is silly

ninfan
    Free Member

Democracy eh?
    Who would have it?

@kimbers – what a strange list, no mention of, for example, Canada or Switzerland – almost as if someone cherry picked a list of countries to try and prove a point 🙄 – and let’s be honest, your list shows guns per head rather than proportion of people owning guns, does it matter if I own one gun or thirty five? I’ve only got two trigger fingers.

Ps. According to uk law, owning a couple of these doubles the amount of ‘firearms per head’ in my household:

Yes, this small metal tube is actually a section one registered firearm – strangely, owning an identical one of an air rifle doesn’t show on figures at all – so you can take your ‘firearms per capita’ figures and smoke them, because they tell us nothing.

kimbers

ninfan – Member
    Democracy eh?
    Who would have it?

The NRA seem to be big fans

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/nra-congress/

Ninfan full list here if you want to learn more….https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

br
    Free Member

It seems really hard to understand until you compare it to the UK and cars. We see a couple of thousand deaths on the roads per year (plus those caused by pollution, obesity, etc) as an acceptable price to pay for the widespread use of cars. It seems really hard to understand until you compare it to the UK and cars. We see a couple of thousand deaths on the roads per year (plus those caused by pollution, obesity, etc) as an acceptable price to pay for the widespread use of cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Road deaths? The USA sits way above us on this too.

miketually
    Free Member

@kimbers – what a strange list, no mention of, for example, Canada or Switzerland – almost as if someone cherry picked a list of countries to try and prove a point

Switzerland has high gun ownership (much because of active military conscription/service), but also strict rules and regulations about the purchase of weapons and ammunition. That level of control in the US would be a hugely positive step.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

– almost as if someone cherry picked a list of countries to try and prove a point

Hardly any need to, the US approach to guns doesn’t work, the evidence is the number of bodies.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Edit: Read American comment pieces on gun control, then read UK articles on 20MPH urban speed limits

Eh? Comparing apples to pteradons…

FWIW I don’t think many would be opposed to a 20mph limit, moreso as you rarely get much faster (if even that speed) in areas where it would be useful. Unless you’re a prat.

miketually
    Free Member

Eh? Comparing apples to pteradons…

As I said above, I was comparing attitudes.

FWIW I don’t think many would be opposed to a 20mph limit, moreso as you rarely get much faster (if even that speed) in areas where it would be useful. Unless you’re a prat.

Find a random article of 20 limits. Read the comments.

Edit: or read an opinion piece in the Telegraph.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think he’s done what he can, he tried to push even slight increases in control through Congress and had it beaten every time – the restrictions he’s ordered aren’t even restrictions, they’re measures to actually enforce the existing restrictions.

The thing is, the pro-gun lobby isn’t listening, he could speak for hours, days even. They’ve been debating it for decades and the pro-gun lobby has long stopped listening – there is no amount of deaths that will change their mind and enough of them seem proud to claim that if someone does try to disarm them, they’ll kill them – how do you try to reason with that sort of insanity?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there is no amount of deaths that will change their mind and enough of them seem proud to claim that if someone does try to disarm them, they’ll kill them –

With a basic principle that every gun death could have been prevented by more guns they are really backed into a corner and are just swinging madly. It’s along the lines that the pedestrian and cyclists are best protected by being inside cars.

ahwiles
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member

you’re clearly a reasonably person. but in case you hadn’t noticed, people are prats.

El-bent
    Free Member

Against the lunatics in congress? Come on ninfan,

They are his own people.

there is no amount of deaths that will change their mind and enough of them seem proud to claim that if someone does try to disarm them, they’ll kill them – how do you try to reason with that sort of insanity?

I find it highly amusing that these gun nuts think they are going to last five minutes against the most powerful military force on the planet.

enfht
    Free Member

Ninfan, since when have big black dildos been classed as firearms?

MoreCashThanDash

I really don’t understand the American fixation with owning and using guns.

I guess the important thing from a UK perspective is that we can see and learn from their lax approach.

scruff
    Free Member

I find it highly amusing that these gun nuts think they are going to last five minutes against the most powerful military force on the planet

China?

grum
    Free Member

Someone try and tell me this isn’t the product of a sick society that fetishises guns and violence:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZGaJrd3x8[/video]

That’s a republican leadership candidate BTW.

ahwiles
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member

I guess the important thing from a UK perspective is that we can see and learn from their lax approach.

it’s a bit like the Australian approach to cycling laws, it’s nice of them to provide proof that all the stupid ideas don’t work.

jimjam
    Free Member

Apparently it’s un-American and unconstitutional to deny someone access to guns. Anyone*

*Unless they muslamic, which is difernt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Obama and Guns… again.’ is closed to new replies.