Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Oakleys prescription lenses
  • mcboo
    Free Member

I’m getting old, starting to need glasses for distance (getting eye strain when driving). Can I buy prescription lenses for my Oakley Split Jackets anyone know?

scotroutes

Yes. I have prescription Wind Jackets. That’s the same frame but with added gasketry!

mcboo
    Free Member

Did you buy them aftermarket or when you bought them?

damitamit
    Free Member

Yes, I have prescription Split Jackets. Bought them from http://www.andrewcareopticians.co.uk/ about 3 years ago. Been great! I went for the Clear to Black Iridium Transitions.

damitamit
    Free Member

I’m guessing you need this service: http://www.andrewcareopticians.co.uk/lens-to-own-frame.ghtml

scotroutes

I bought them complete with prescription lenses.

mcboo
    Free Member

Thanks, that link is what I need. I dont mean to be a skinflint and I’m new to this glasses malarky but isnt £200 for a pair of lenses a lot?

scotroutes

You don’t have to buy Oakleys

damitamit
    Free Member

Previously I’ve always bought cheap £15 BBB frames, then got them glazed with Optilabs transition lenses (£90).

Then splashed out on Split Jackets with Oakley lenses (£240 all in 3 years ago), and I have to say there was a noted difference in clarity. Expensive but I’ve used them alot, I’m blind without them and they protect my eyes… So not too bad in bike part value terms (compared to other bike things ive bought!)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Costco seem to do prescription Adidas glasses. I’m sure they’re still pricey, but will be a damn sight cheaper that Oakleys.

CountZero

mcboo – Member
    Thanks, that link is what I need. I dont mean to be a skinflint and I’m new to this glasses malarky but isnt £200 for a pair of lenses a lot?

It all depends on how fancy the lenses are. If you want lenses with varifocal, photo-reactive, and Iridium coating, then you gotta pay for it. The lenses don’t have be Oakley to be expensive; I have a pair of Ray Ban Lennon frames, from fleabay, cost $55. I had them re-glazed with Shamir lenses, with multi-point varifocal, DriveWear photoreactive and multilayer anti-reflective features. Cost me £260. I’ve heard of people paying upwards of £350 for lenses, so paying £200 for a pair of Oakley lenses almost makes you a cheapskate! 😉
    Just as a comparison, I have a pair of Oakley WHY3 titanium frames, which were only ever sold as prescription glasses. I’ve looked into having them reglazed with a brown tinted, polycarbonate lens, with a 24k mirror, and AR coating on the inside, no prescription, and my local suppliers quoted me around £90-100. That’s NOT an Oakley lens, Oakley quoted £160+.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Oakleys prescription lenses’ is closed to new replies.