Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Oakley Warranty Question
  • hock

I’ve got two ancient Oakley Mumbo/M-Frames (like the ones pictured below).
    Both frames snapped recently. The material seems to be pretty brittle after 10 years or more.

I’ve heard the Oakley warranty approach is pretty legendary replacing things even after so many years.
    Is this true from anyone’s experience? The warranty card mentions a ‘1 year’ warranty.
    What do I have to do to get the frame replaced? I’ve got an original receipt for at least one of them.

I would understand if they don’t replace them. But I don’t want to waste my money if they do.
    I definitely want to have them again. They are brilliant and I have some lenses to go with them.

clubber
    Free Member

contact Oakley UK, be honest, ask about spares or replacements rather than something free and you may get a pleasant suprise. They don’t akways do freebies but they do sometimes.

nixie

I think that their approach is to sell you an extended warranty, and then allow you too replace your glasses under that new warranty. I replaced my old mframes under this scheme for £12 about 6 years ago.

Its not free but its much much better than buying a new set.

vinnyeh

You’ll need to call Oakley Customer Services, but I’ve returned two broken pair of glasses, out of warranty but broken through my own fault anyway, (one pair about 15 years old), and been offered iirc 40% off retail for most of the range. They’ll ask you to send them in to be looked at, then make you an offer.

Might be different if yours have broken due to failure, rather than abuse but I’d say you’re likely to get at least the offers I did.

nbt

As nixie, it cost me £12 to get a new warranty on my original M-frames (like yours) that snapped at the bridge. When I snapped an arm off a couple of years later it had gone up to £14 and then when I trod on them it had gone up to £15. The only replace the frame for that though, they wouldn;t replace the lens that I’d bent. Still cheaper than buying new sunnies

hock

Thanks a lot
    sounds good to me
    will contact Oakley UK!

Cheers! 8)

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

They are great i sent some eyejackets back but they were to old no spares left 14 years old.offerd me some half jackets at £45 new.
    Before i have sent back m-frames as said above £14.People moan oakleys are expensive but when you can send them back after 10 years pay £14 for new frames go buy a new lense your set for another 10 years great.

project
    Free Member

14 QUID for a frame when it probably costs pennies to make, youre paying for the name, and the image,

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve had the same offer of 40% discount from anything else for very old, wrecked glasses.

MoreCashThanDash

I had a frame snap a couple of years ago, bought circa 1998. Sent them to Oakley without much hope, had a phone call within 48 hrs saying they could replace them for £12 or so, had the new frames within 7 days of posting off the original.

hock

14 QUID for a frame when it probably costs pennies to make, youre paying for the name, and the image

Serious?
    I am more than happy to pay 14 quid (or more) for that name and that image if I get that frame thrown in for free!

And I don’t care what the actual production costs are. Not a bit. Because what I am wearing on my nose is not a piece of “production cost” but a proper solution for my needs. I mean, I had more then 10 years perfect fit and performance! What more would I want? I don’t feel them nor see them when I wear them, they don’t fall off, they don’t slip down the nose, they rarely steam up, the Heater lenses are draught-free and give great protection.

So for me they are good value.

If others have better value and do a good job – great! Buy them!
    I don’t have any reason to stray away. Customer loyalty, eh?!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Had good service a couple of times, and I’ll buy more oakleys because of it.

The Mrs had some Square Wires, about 6 years old, been kicked around a fair bit, scratched lenses, bent frame, ear socks worn out, nose pads knackered. They retailed at £160.

Sent them off to Oakley for a quote, and they said I need to replace all of the above – i.e. need new glasses. That will be £40 sir. So a complete new set of of £160 shades for £40. Quite happy with that.

hock

Just to let you know the outcome of this:
    – sent the two old broken frames away a week ago
    – was phoned today by a friendly lady from Oakley and offered two replacement M-Frames
    – GBP20 per frame, choice of available colours, free shipping

I think that this is a very generous policy and makes the purchase of Oakleys – beyond their actual product performance – very good value. Especially considering I sent in two ancient frames which I had used for more than 10 years while the warranty card mentions a ‘1 year’ warranty.

Thanks for the advise I got here!

doof_doof
    Free Member

Wow, I was about to flog off some knackered original eye jackets (mid 90’s) as the lenses are ruined, but reading this I think I’ll get in contact with Oakley.

Hock – did you email or phone them?

hock

Neither. I followed the step-by-step instructions on their HOW TO MAKE A WARRANTY CLAIM page.

They ask you to send the broken/faulty item to them with a brief description and if possible a receipt. I had a receipt for one of the frames, explained where I had the other from and when/why they snapped.

More or less a week later they phoned and offered the replacement.

🙂

EDIT: Not sure if they replace lenses though.

eshershore
    Free Member

Oakley have always been excellent to me, even when I have done stupid things like sitting on my sunglasses and snapping the frame

replaced FOC, and was offered new lenses at the same time for minimal cost (£30?) as the original had scratches

fantastic optical performance, and legendary backup…nothing else comes close to Oakley

regarding production “costs”, Oakley still make all their frames and lenses in the USA so if anything their production costs are somewhat higher than most brands that farm out production to off-shore vendors with varying QC

doof_doof
    Free Member

So I sent away my mk1 Eye Jackets (~19 years old, lenses ruined). Oakley come back with an offer of %40 off any new pair. Can’t complain about that.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Warranty Question’ is closed to new replies.