Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • oakley transition lenses opinion
  • meriadoc
    Free Member

Hello to everybody!
    I’m thinking to get an oakley transitions lense for riding (and also for running…). I’m interested in the VR50 photochromic or in the black persimmon iridium photochromic.

Lenses descriptions state they are both ideal for mountain biking. Black Persimmon seems to provide a little more contrast than the VR50, but the VR50 should have an interesting 50%-10% light trasmission percentage (black persimmon should provide 42-10%) .
    Anyone know which lense is a better option for riding in the trees, but still remaining comfortable in bright light?

Thanks!

Meriadoc

stanley

Not sure which Oakley Transition lens that I have, but it doesn’t go very dark, doesn’t go very light, and takes ages to do either!

I actually find it ok for most “good weather” riding, but it doesn’t change much at all imo, certainly not like my old regular transitions prescription glasses- they went from totally clear to almost black!

clubber
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

VR50 for me. Excellent stuff.

It goes plenty dark enough for full sunshine and light enough for overcast days although in the evening they have to come off.

They DO change a lot, they just do it somewhat slowly, and your eyes adjust at a similar rate. I’ve never been dazzled or left in the dark with them. Would never buy non-transition lenses now (except for a clear pair for dusk/night riding of course). There’s just no reason not to.

meriadoc
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for your messages.
    Any comments regarding Black Persimmon lenses?

clubber
    Free Member

Only that I couldn’t find them to buy separately so they weren’t really an option.

meriadoc
    Free Member

Mmmmmmm….
    I have a half jacket with black iridium, paid 140 EUR.
    My Oakley dealer says that photochromic lenses are available at 120.00 EUR (I’m not sure whic color). I’ve not ordered the lenses, so I’m sure if it is real…

Pheraps, Oakley doesn’t resell such lenses as an accessory in each country…

crazy-legs

Again, not sure on the exact model of lens I’ve got on my Half Jackets but it’s a kind of brown tint which doesn’t seem to change much at all. It’s a good enough UK lens for most conditions, in fact it’s all I’ve worn since getting them, they’re very good but I swapped to some much darker lenses for riding in Spain last week.

I’ve seen some Oakley lenses change from near clear to very dark but again, not sure of the model. That’s not much help is it…?

JonBurns
    Free Member

Grey MAR transitions go from near clear to shaded (I can night ride in them and they go dark enough to take the edge off really bright sunshine). 8)

stanley

Don’t think they are an old model- only bought them last year. Not end of line discounted or anything.

Half jackets too……….. same as Crazy-leg’s I reckon.

The prescription ones that worked well were old though!

Houns

I have the Clear – Black Iridium Vented Jawbone Transition lens. Works perfectly, just the perfect tint needed in (nearly*) all conditions

*When it’s really overcast/misty/foggy i like to use something like a persimmon lens not clear

molgrips
    Free Member

Just had mine out in bright sunlight. They looked they always do, but when I took them off the world was suddenly extremely bright.

So the lenses had got loads darker but my brain had adjusted, which is what you want isn’t it?

Gary_M
    Free Member

How much did you pay for the transition lenses if you don’t mind me asking. Best price I’ve seen is £73 from cyclestore.

Houns

Think i paid about $115 for them

timmys

Think i paid about $115 for them

You managed to buy the lenses on their own? Please show me where!

Houns

eBay, just had a look but the 2 on there now won’t ship out side of the US (maybe they will if you ask)

dazzlingboy

Just been into McGrath’s in Edinburgh who are main Oakley dealers. They phoned Oakley there and then and were told that all transitions are now discontinued apart from prescription lenses. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Wtf?

Houns

Hmm not heard of that?!

molgrips
    Free Member
    timmys

eBay, just had a look but the 2 on there now won’t ship out side of the US (maybe they will if you ask)

I must be thick as I can’t find them! Any combination of search words only seems to turn up one pair of complete glasses rather than lenses. Can you post a link pretty please?

dazzlingboy

I was surprised too but they know what they’re talking about in there. They (not surprisingly) didn’t hold exactly what I was looking for (Flak Jacket VR50 Transitions) in stock, so phoned Oakley direct and that was the chat.

LS
    Free Member

I was surprised too but they know what they’re talking about in there. They (not surprisingly) didn’t hold exactly what I was looking for (Flak Jacket VR50 Transitions) in stock, so phoned Oakley direct and that was the chat.

So I can be quite smug that a pair of VR50 photochromic Radars dropped through my letterbox this morning, then? 😀

clubber
    Free Member

I might have my vr50 jawbone transitions lenses to sell. Not entirely convinced by jawbones instead of my more usual radars.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘oakley transition lenses opinion’ is closed to new replies.