• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by csb.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Oakley sunglasses, polarised lenses worth it?
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

I need some new sunglasses. I like the idea of Rudy, but until they have a stockist anywhere near me, they won’t get my business I have tried on Oakley, Salomon and Addidas and Oakley fit me the best.

I am going to get the Flak jackets, now is it worth the extra on polarised lenses? For what its worth I will be wearing them for road cycling, mtbing, and occasionally skiing and sea kayaking. As well as for general wear!!Cycling is mainly done in UK conditions, so variable light conditions.

Can you read a Garmin cycle computer with polarised lenses?

Superficial
    Free Member

I have some Polarised Ray Bans. They’re great for driving, and it makes the world look shinier and more colourful. As you say, it can cause problems with LCD screens depending on the orientation of the digitiser. E.g. I can’t read my my iphone very well with polarised lenses, but my car’s screen is fine (unless I rotate my head 90 degrees). Not sure about the Garmin.

I’m not sure there’s any objective benefit for sports though. A lot of roadies say they don’t like the effect it has on water on the road. Certainly my Oakleys aren’t polarised. I wouldn’t bother – if you want to spend extra, consider the Photochromic lenses.

nemesis
    Free Member

For driving they’re good. For cycling in general, less useful imo. Transitions on the other hand are brilliant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If you’re getting Flak Jackets check out Eyewear Outlet, they’ve had red ones for ~50 quid for months (I got a pair for £19 due to a voucher code which probably shouldnt have worked and was cancelled shortly after!).

And if you decide you need new lenses Revant Optics on ebay do compatible lenses (including “iridium” and polarised) for half the price and have a very good rep.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I wear polarised Oakleys for driving and I’m a big fan.

julians
    Free Member

I have polarized oakleys and now wont go back to non polarized. They’re great for any water based activity where you might want to see below the surface of the water as they cut out a significant proportion of the reflected light of the sun. They’re also nice for driving, but its mainly their effect on water that I use them for.

rt60

Try them first for a bit if you can, I got a pair and they gave me really bad headaches. Apparently it’s not uncommon with polarised lenses.

eshershore
    Free Member

I have radar locks with 4 different lens and the polarised is the go to lense for summer road cycling, especially out of the city on long flatter roads where sun glare is an issue

I certainly get some weird 3d effect on drain covers, tarmac repairs, car windows; although the way they eliminate glare makes that inconsequential.

julians
    Free Member

I got a pair and they gave me really bad headaches. Apparently it’s not uncommon with polarised lenses.

Apparently that can happen with cheaper polarised lenses, where each lens is made from a different piece of polarized ‘plastic’, the different pieces give a very subtly different polarizing effect which cant really be seen, but can cause headaches. Apparently Oakley (and I presume other brands) use a single peice of plastic for both lenses in any given pair of glasses to eliminate the chance of headaches

kimbers

fwiw i got the cheap flack jackets from eyewear outlet and they are great (non polarised though)

but i think my endura mullets are better glasses overall

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

This time of year when you find yourself driving on wet roads with the sun low in the sky in front, polarised are ace… cuts out loads of the blinding glare off the tarmac.

krixmeister

I’m generally a fan of polarized lenses for Oakleys (my cycling and my casual Oakleys both have polarized lenses), but one thing to keep in mind – the polarized lenses do seem to delaminate or something after about a year. I’ve had a couple replaced just within warranty period, and a couple that developed the problem just after warranty expired. In any case, the lenses are good enough that I am OK with buying new lenses when required.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Slightly hijack but those who use the transition lens, how dark do they go? Took my Christmas present out today. Clear bright blue sky all day but my jawbone clear to black iridium never got any darker than very slightly smoke.

rt60

Julians

Nope happened with Oakleys brought direct from the Oakley store.

LeeW

Onza, I think it depends on if you have road or mtb glasses. I think mtb don’t go quite as much as the road version.

stevious

In my experience they’re great for driving and road riding but can remove a bit of the surface detail when mountain biking. Mine also make everything look like ice on the roads on frosty days so I find myself struggling to find the safe line though.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Nice for driving but couldn’t read my satnav.

Great for skiing.

Didn’t like them for road riding – distracting with surface water and drain covers. (and mine were too dark for mtb). Mine were Fox with Oakley lenses. Delaminates in the end. Replaced but then stolen.

BigCol
    Free Member

I have some polarised lenses – i find them great for riding, but if I wear them for driving they give me a headache!! Dunno why.

Nice for cycling though.

csb

Have heard issues with skiing in polarised lenses and not being able to see ice patches. I’ve got transitions grey prescriptions and they’re incredible.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Oakley sunglasses, polarised lenses worth it?’ is closed to new replies.