Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Oakley sunglasses
  • seifahmad
    Free Member

Hi
    Would like the collective knowledge of stw. I am looking to buy some oakleys to replace my aged flak jackets. What I am unclear with is which lens to go for.
    Are the new prism lenses replacements for the transitions lenses and do they adjust to ambient light? I like to idea of one lens to do it all and would be grateful of any thoughts/opinions.

Thanks all

njee20
    Free Member

No, Prizm lenses reduce glare and what not, they’re not photochromic, which are still out there.

Clear Black Iridium photochromic are a great lens, if I had one that’s what I’d have. That said, the coating peeled off mine and I’ve not used them in a while, flit between clear and Ice/Jade/Black iridium, all of which are very dark, and don’t have any issues.

shredder
    Free Member

I purchased recently some Racing Jkts with the Prizm trail lense. So far im finding them brilliant in a mix of light from woods to the open, shade to bright. Very impressed.

gren
    Free Member

Using clear black iridium photochromics here. All you’ll ever need, unless you ride at night

I think the Prizm lenses were originally developed for snowsports as they are much better in low contrast situations.

nemesis
    Free Member

I use my clear-black iridium photochromics at night. This morning in fact. They’re easily clear enough.

gazhurst
    Free Member

I’ve just had a pair of the new Oakley Jawbreakers with the Road Prizm lense. I can honestly say that they are by far the best glasses i’ve used. I previously had Radars, Jawbones and Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pro 2 and the Jawbreakers blow all of these out of the water.

I’ve used them in 2 very conditions so far, at the grey, overcast and windy Scott Marathon 2 weeks ago and then at the hot, dusty and sunny National XC series in Plymouth the weekend gone.

They were perfect at both

I do want to try the Trail lenses though

nemesis
    Free Member

So why are they so good?

njee20
    Free Member

There are different Prizm lenses depending on conditions – road, trail, snow etc.

The Clear Black Iridium ones are fine at night IMO, used to wear them on the road and found them fine. Like I say, only downside was the longevity. Oakley were quite flippant when I took them in – they lasted about 2 years, but not really usable now.

So why are they so good?

They go from as good as clear, to really really dark. Most photochromic lenses have quite a narrow range of transition.

They didn’t change my life, personally I find that my eyes adjust to whatever I’m wearing.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Well the glasses themselves are incredibly comfortable (loads of adjustment to get a perfect fit). They haven’t moved or slipped off my face, even while sweating heavily. The lenses are clear and sharp. Great venting in the lenses means they don’t steam up. Liquid just runs off them (I even managed to squirt a bit of gel onto the lense and it just ran off without leaving a mark). I crashed in them and certainly hit them but there are no marks at all….need I go on?

akira

Gazhurst, how are you finding the road ones in use off road? Quite fancy a pair but unenthusiastic about the blue prizm trail model, the road ones are far nicer.

nemesis
    Free Member

njee – I have the transitions, I was asking why Prizms are so good 🙂 Thanks anyway

Gazhurst – interesting but those are things that apply to the clear-black transitions too – just wondering if a prizm lense is a worthwhile addition for days when you know it’s going to be sunny the whole time.

Kryton57

The Clear Black Iridium ones are fine at night IMO, used to wear them on the road and found them fine.

+1

I don’t notice how dark they go though, I got a bit of a shock when I saw my reflection on a sunny day.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Gazhurst, how are you finding the road ones in use off road? Quite fancy a pair but unenthusiastic about the blue prizm trail model, the road ones are far nicer.

I haven’t really thought about them in that way I guess, they have been crystal clear and definitely make everything sharper, even in low light.

I’m sure it won’t be long before they release seperate lenses but I’m not sure how much of difference the trail versions will make. If it was such a big thing, surely any of the big XC names (pretty much all of the Oakley sponsored riders at the Sea Otter were wearing the road versions) would use them???

The thing I’m waiting for are the clear lenses so I can wear them all the time

With regards the outlay…they were considerably cheaper then my Radars AND my Jawbones and are twice the product in my opinion

nemesis
    Free Member
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive got some oakley jawbone/racing jacket photochromic lenses id be willing to sell if anyones interested!

clear black iridium or what ever they are called (as clear as youll get for photochromic)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

ive got some oakley jawbone/racing jacket photochromic lenses id be willing to sell if anyones interested!

could be tempted (i have racing jackets); what sort of money were you thinking?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

xherbivorex – Member

could be tempted (i have racing jackets); what sort of money were you thinking?

not sure really bud, im just not using them at the mo, I think they are about 80 quid though, so maybe 40quid or similar, im not sure if they have any light scratches, will have to check but from memory they are in pretty great condition

andylc
    Free Member

My Oakleys were far too flippin expensive to get used on the mountain bike….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Oakley sunglasses’ is closed to new replies.