Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Oakley Prizm
  • jk1980
    Free Member

With the sun finally making an appearance I’m after a new set of riding sunglasses. In particular I need a set that will be able to cope with the bright sunlight hitting you as you pop out of the woods into an open area.

I had hope that the Oakley Prizm would be good, but from what I tell from this thread they seem to be more suited to lower light conditions.

Can anyone please recommend a good set of glasses that can deal with the bright sunlight as well as suitable for riding in wooded areas? If such a thing exists! Oakley probably preferable but others ok also.

Cheers

Tracey

Kevin has some Oakleys with Prizm trail lenses. Been in and out of the woods today at Pila bike park from bright sun to shade and even dark in some places. He has been very impressed with them compaired to his other Oakley lenses.

grahamt1980

Was using my prizm trail Oakleys at fod on Sunday, bright sunshine and dark woods. seemed to work well with both to be honest

dhrider
    Free Member

I have no problems with my Oakley Prizm lens, If anything I’d say they work better in brighter situations rather than low light in the forest.

drslow
    Free Member

got the Prizm’s and they’re very good, still prefer my old Oakley transitions though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have Radar EVs with Trail, Road and Clear. The latter only for really crummy weather and/or night riding.

Trail – Very, very good. Not as good in rally glaring brightness, such as a sunny day on the chalklands in the open, where I’d probably use a darker, Iridium lens. However, for almost everything else, and especially for in and out of the woods riding, such as BPW, Afan or the like, truly excellent.
    Road – Also pleasing me a lot. Ideal for almost any day time riding.

njee20
    Free Member

Prizm Trail are superb. Really like mine.

durhambiker
    Free Member

No experience of Prizm Trail, but I love my Prizm Road lenses. Wear them every time I ride, regardless of time of day, weather etc.

Vortexracing

Just used mine tonight and they were spot on

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Another vote for Oakley Trail Prizm only time I don’t use them is night riding.

acidtest
    Free Member

I find them too dark for the woods, amazing out in the open though. Ditched them for clear and a lot more confident at high speed stuff.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The lenses are ok, but trying out some Holbrooks and Slivers the other day I was really surprised at how shitty the frames were. Poor mouldings etc.

dhrider
    Free Member

The lenses are ok, but trying out some Holbrooks and Slivers the other day I was really surprised at how shitty the frames were. Poor mouldings etc.

In fairness they are lifestyle glasses and less than half the price of racing jacket etc which would come with Prizm lens.

The money in the holbrook / silvers is in the lens, they are more of a fashion than practical pair of sunglasses for sport.

You can’t expect the quality of the frames of a £70 pair of glasses to be the same as a £150 pair.

bartesque

Another vote for Oakley Trail Prizm haven’t used anything else since I got them

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

In fairness they are lifestyle glasses and less than half the price of racing jacket etc which would come with Prizm lens.

The money in the holbrook / silvers is in the lens, they are more of a fashion than practical pair of sunglasses for sport.

You can’t expect the quality of the frames of a £70 pair of glasses to be the same as a £150 pair.

Holbrook/Sliver with Prizm lenses are £160. Are you telling me that the decent Oakley frames kick in around the £350 mark?

…if you ignore them being more of less the same price, of course.

stevious

Another happy prizm user here. On road rather than trail, but do the job for me in everything from moderate gloom to high sun.

zilog6128

need to replace my lenses as I’ve got a new prescription. Currently have iridium transitions which are great (even for night) but it can be difficult to see detail on the trail going from very bright sun to dark wooded section! Prizm sounds ideal? (except for the night riding!)

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, I love the Clear Black Iridium photochromic, but I find the Prizm Trail works better for that instant transition from light into dark personally.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Persimmon to Black Iridium remains the greatest lens they ever made. A real “quiver killer” to use a skiing phrase.

leythervegas
    Free Member

This app is great – gives you a good idea of the vision you will get with a trail or road lens…

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mad-science/id981695340?mt=8

I sell loads of prism lenses where I work and the feedback I get is always positive. That said I am happy with my oakley transitions – best all year round all rounder if you know what I mean. Can even commute home in the dark in the winter without fannying around swapping lenses.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – sounds like I was mistaken – I will give them a go. I ride in clear glasses anyway so they will obviously block out more sun than those 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

A real “quiver killer” to use a skiing phrase. sound like a complete cockwomble

😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Prizm’ is closed to new replies.