Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Oakley Prism Road/Trail – big difference?
  • Kryton57

I can only buy one sale pair but would like both, so is their a massive difference and if one pair were used for both, which would be the best to buy, the Road or Trail versions?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I would find the road version too dark for trail use unless you have no tree cover where you ride

leythervegas
    Free Member

Road is optimised for a mostly grey background and the trail for a green background. Try the Oakley mad science free app – it shows you how they both work.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nemesis
    Free Member

I use the trail one on the road for days that aren’t too bright and find it good.

tinybits
    Free Member

yep, trail is fine on the road, as long as it’s not too bright – or you’re not a dark sunglasses wearer. Suggest road will be too dark in the woods.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got the road ones and they’re not particularly dark. Fine for low light days. No idea how they compare to the trail though.

terrahawk
    Free Member

trail are fine for the road, even if it’s very bright. I used a pair in Sri Lanka (where it gets quite sunny) and they were bob-on.

Captain_Sponge

Agree with the above, the Trail lens is fine for the road but the Road lens is a smidge dark for the trails under trees.

I started with the road version and swapped to Trail and haven’t been tempted to swap back.

Hope that helps, crikey is this a consensus on an Internet forum?

beanum

I agree with the above.

There must be a glitch in the STW matrix… 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Trail user here, well worth it. Needed new lenses really and glad I swapped. Use on road to. No issues

qtip

I’ve got the Prism Road lens. As above, I think it would be too dark for off road use (despite not being the darkest of lenses). I’ve not used it off road, but when you ride into a tree-covered section of road it can be hard to see.

nemesis
    Free Member

Can I just add that I haven’t really been all that impressed by my trails. At least in that I don’t think they’re any better than the persimmon lenses of old. So they work well but I feel that there’s a lot of hype about the performance.

I got mine cheap so I’m OK with that but I think I’d have been less happy if I’d paid full price.

The-Beard

Well for balance I prefer the road lens! I tend to lean towards a grey or clear lens for MTB rather than a contrast lens like the trail. It is a nice lens, TBH I liked it more for road riding on a dull day than for use in the woods.

Kryton57

Good grief!

Trails ordered, thanks for the replies.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Prism Road/Trail – big difference?’ is closed to new replies.