Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Oakley lenses – Do I need to use Oakley perscriptions in Oakley glasses?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Can I just send of a set of Oakley glasses to a reglazer or do I have to use Oakley lenses with them?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Depends on the design. If the frames can be opened up by taking out a little screw, then any lens maker can probably make lenses up. If they're the fully closed plastic frames, probably not. If the frames have a particularly pronounced curve, then again probably not.

Bear in mind that Oakley use proper bullet-proof plastic for their lenses, and standard lenses are either glass or non-bullet proof plastic. It is worth considering Oakley's own lenses, as they are extremely good quality. Extremely expensive too though.

highclimber
    Free Member

[pedant] the're not bullet proof, they are designed to withstand a 50g steel spike fired at 102mph. bullets tend go a lot faster with a greater mass [/pedant]

brassneck

Any suggestions for inexpensive prescription M Frame lenses gratefully received.

Xylene
    Free Member

Anybody know which oakleys are unscrewable.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

[pedant] the're not bullet proof, they are designed to withstand a 50g steel spike fired at 102mph. bullets tend go a lot faster with a greater mass [/pedant]

That'll do me! I hope to never be in a situation where actual bullets are being fired at my eyes. They are however resistant to shotgun blasts, because they've been tested in such a situation. I'd just be happy that they could withstand a stone being flung up by a car wheel, or a low branch etc.

Quirrel; you'd need to go and look at a few pairs, see which ones are unscrewable. Personally, for the above reasons, I'd have the RX option made up by Oakley (have done previously). Well worth the extra.

Xylene
    Free Member

Quirrel; you'd need to go and look at a few pairs, see which ones are unscrewable. Personally, for the above reasons, I'd have the RX option made up by Oakley (have done previously). Well worth the extra.

Can't justify the cost, but do need some better fitting sports glasses for riding.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Quirrel – (almost) same boat as you, but then discovered I was outside the prescription range that Oakley will cater for and immediately felt better knowing it was 'impossible' 😉

Have a look here also. http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/presciption-oakley

anc
    Free Member

I had non oakley ones put in my twenty's which are fine but contacts are miles better for biking IMO

flatfish
    Free Member

Had non standard lenses installed into my monster dog frames and they weren't quite right, they made me squint slightly so i complained to my optition who sent them to oakley and the lenses that came back were spot on. Apparently they couldn't cope with the curve.
    On a side note, after nearly two years the coating on the frame started bubbling/de-laminating so i called Oakley blagging that they were under warranty for the fault, only 1 years warranty is actually given, they told me to send them in. About a week later a new pair arrived with fresh lenses luckily my prescription hadn't altered in the last two years.
    Hurrah for Oakley.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Oakley lenses – Do I need to use Oakley perscriptions in Oakley glasses?’ is closed to new replies.